Brewer Fanatic

Another heart surgery for Bob Uecker - Tuesday 10/19; Procedure successful

hawing

The Brewers' Facebook page just posted the following:

Brewers announce that Hall of Fame Radio Announcer Bob Uecker will undergo a second heart surgery on Tuesday at Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee. Check out http://www.brewers.comlater today for more information.
My first thought was "oh, crap." Best wishes...again.

Edit: But the information on jsonline is both more descriptive and more encouraging:

Uecker to have new heart surgery

The Milwaukee Brewers announced today that Hall of

Fame broadcaster Bob Uecker will undergo a second heart surgery next

Tuesday at Froedtert Hospital.

The team said the surgery is needed because of a pseudoaneurysm, or tear, at the site of his valve replacement.

"It is believed that this occurred due to a skin-related staph

infection which entered the bloodstream and seeded itself into his

surgical repair site. He acquired the infection roughly six weeks after

his initial procedure on April 30 of this year. Froedtert & The

Medical College of Wisconsin Cardiothoracic Surgeon Alfred C. Nicolosi,

MD, performed the first surgery and will operate in Tuesday’s procedure

as well."

In a statement released by the Brewers, Uecker said, "I’m approaching

this with the same optimism that I had the first time, and I appreciate

all of the kind thoughts and well wishes from Brewers fans and everyone

who has reached out to me,” Uecker said.

Uecker added that he expected to be ready to get back to work before spring training next year.

The recovery time for the surgery is projected to be a minimum of eight weeks.

“Bob’s heart is stronger now following his initial operation and

therefore I think he will tolerate this operation very well,” said Dr.

James Kleczka, a Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin

cardiologist.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I know its not a popular opinion, but I really think Uecker should just do home games to limit the wear and tear on his body. Give him time off during road trips to fish or do whatever he wants without the stress and hassle of traveling city to city. He's never going to volunteer to stop doing games, so someone should do it for him.

I know its not a popular opinion, but I really think Uecker should just do home games to limit the wear and tear on his body. Give him time off during road trips to fish or do whatever he wants without the stress and hassle of traveling city to city. He's never going to volunteer to stop doing games, so someone should do it for him.
Not a bad idea. At least he could skip those 6-9 game trips out to the Coasts. He could still make the trips to Chicago, St. Louis, Mpls, etc. That would still put him on the air for 3/4 of the games a year, while keeping his work load down.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
On those off days, they could have him in the studio recording stories and one-liners. Then when Davey gets a little too boring, Corey could just punch a button and interject a Uecker-ism or one of those out-of-nowhere-stories that has you laughing to tears. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Then when Davey gets a little too boring, Corey could just punch a button...
Honestly, whenever the Brewers need a permanent replacement for Bob - even if only for road games - I will be surprised if Davey gets the call. There's probably no need to rehash why, especially in a thread about Uecker.

Go Drs Nicolosi and Kleczka! Don't lose focus.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob was released from the hospital on Wednesday

"I want to thank the doctors and staff at Froedtert again for the terrific care throughout the surgery and recovery," Uecker said. "I am encouraged to be going home and I appreciate the kind wishes from Brewers fans as I continue to recuperate."
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Honestly, whenever the Brewers need a permanent replacement for Bob - even if only for road games - I will be surprised if Davey gets the call.

I would hope not. But my post was more about "bottling" the genius of Ueck, not who replaces him. Because no matter who it is, it will be a step down.

• 4 weeks later...

Per an Adam McCalvy blog post, Bob is going to appear on MLB Network's Studio 42, hosted by Bob Costas.

Uecker sat down for a hour-long episode of MLB Network's Studio 42 with Bob Costas that will air Friday at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT. Uecker and Costas are old friends who used to broadcast games together for NBC, a relationship that was reprised on Aug. 22 during a Brewers-Padres game at Miller Park.

They will get serious for at least part of Friday's interview. Uecker, 75, discusses his more than 55 years in professional baseball including his 40 seasons as the Brewers' radio voice. He talks about the health issues that forced him to miss a significant chunk of the 2010 season and to undergo heart surgery in April and again in October.

Costas will also explore Uecker's place in pop culture, including his starring roles in the film series Major League, the TV series Mr. Belvedere, commercials for Miller Lite beer and his frequent guest appearances on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, who gave him the nickname "Mr. Baseball."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I saw the commercial the other morning and immediately programmed it into the DVR. I've been looking forward to it since Bob & Bob talked about it during one of Bob's visits to the booth to talk to Bob.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

yeah, I had always wondered about that, too. I had NEVER seen footage of Uecker in action. Nice. Real Nice.

Otherwise, the interview was as expected. It would've been great to be in the audience for the off-camera stuff that was talked about.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived