Brewer Fanatic

Winter tires?

SquirrelMaster
Well, we are about a month away from the first snowfall.. hopefully longer! I bought a 2010 Wrx this year, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Dunlop SP sports tires in the snow. Also, what kind of snow tires would be fantastic for a AWD car? It would be awesome to be able to rock the Dunlops in the winter, but I'm not sure how much, if any, traction they will have with 6-10 inches on the ground. Any help would be much appreciated!

I just got my all-season winter tires for my car, came highly recommended by a legacy driver, the brand is also highly recommended by another friend who's used them for a few years. They're a bit more expensive than other brands, but the reviews and the recommendations went a long way for me. Can't wait to try them, I've had little confidence in the two other all-season (non-winter specialty) tires I've had previously on my acura

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.01&name=Nokian+WRG2

Personally, I really like my two wheel setup, winter/all-season and ultra summer tires. I think the wrx would like that as well. I'm not sure you'll have good success in the winter with those dunlop sp sports if my experience with performance all-seasons is any indication (mine were goodyear and michelins fyi)

Any kind of snow tire will make your WRX amazing. I'd really recommend putting a set of snow tires on a separate set of wheels. It's much easier to deal with when it comes to the twice a year switch. Don't go any wider than what you have. If anything, try to get as narrow a wheel/tire combo you can. Take not of how skinny the tires are on a WRC car during a snow rally. I recommend using tirerack. The people there are very knowledgeable and will set you up with what you need. They carry almost every major brand. I've had Goodyear/Dunlop/Bridgestone/Michelin snow tires on my old RWD Volvo and AWD Audi. All functioned very well. Finland makes Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires and they are the crem della crem. They are a little bit hard to find but worth every penny.

Enjoy the WRX. It's the worlds perfect winter vehicle. SUVs be damned.

Just thought I felt ignorant when I had to google WRX to find out what it was. Looks like a street-racer type made by Subaru.

Never knew people that used snow tires, so I'm curious to hear if they do help

I am still using the stock tires on my 06' WRX. Never had a single problem through 4 winters now, and the last one had some pretty intense snow.

The WRX might have a bit of that street racer stereotype, but as logan said, it was made for off roading. And it does that very well. The aggressive look and hood scoop (which really just functions to help the off roading ability by moving the intercooler away from potential debris) throw some people off.

I am still using the stock tires on my 06' WRX. Never had a single problem through 4 winters now, and the last one had some pretty intense snow.

The WRX might have a bit of that street racer stereotype, but as logan said, it was made for off roading. And it does that very well. The aggressive look and hood scoop (which really just functions to help the off roading ability by moving the intercooler away from potential debris) throw some people off.

What tires came on your WRX? Nowadays they are shipped with summer performance tires. I keep hearing that these stock tires are HORRIBLE in the snow, but I'm assuming people that say that want "high performance" in the winter.. I just want the tires to be serviceable..

I LOVE the wrx since it is so unique! The hood scoop and intercooler in that position is less efficient, but hell if I care, it rocks my socks.

SquirrelMaster[/b]]
thebruce44[/b]]I am still using the stock tires on my 06' WRX. Never had a single problem through 4 winters now, and the last one had some pretty intense snow.

What tires came on your WRX? Nowadays they are shipped with summer performance tires. I keep hearing that these stock tires are HORRIBLE in the snow, but I'm assuming people that say that want "high performance" in the winter.. I just want the tires to be serviceable..

I LOVE the wrx since it is so unique! The hood scoop and intercooler in that position is less efficient, but hell if I care, it rocks my socks.

It may be less efficient, but the engine as a whole is awesome with the horizontally oposed 4 cyl. I really love it too, but the transmission does leave a little to be desired.

I have an 06, so I am not sure what tires came with it. They aren't summer performance tires though. The only people I know who have WRXs from around the same time with me and got another set of tires right away are people who autocross and ripped up their factory ones too quickly. I suppose that if I had summer tires on there I would definitely get winter tires though.

I have an '04 and I think it came with all season tires. They were fine in the winter. I also am not 100% thrilled with the transmission but I got it with the short throw shifter. It is a little chunky shifting but all the gears are right there.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived