Brewer Fanatic

2010-2011 Pro Hockey Thread

trwi7

They're saying they want to go with 4 divisions with 30 teams (which is funny considering the AHL wants to go to 6 divisions with 30 teams) so they're basically just flipping. I also don't see NYI moving. They desperately need a new arena and they're going to be voting for one on August 1st but they have a great TV contract in the largest TV market. Also don't see Florida moving since they're locked into their lease.

Expansion would be our only chance and since Bettman has said they're not discussing expansion and that we would probably need a new arena and would need the Bucks to move I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all for realignment, but as a Blackhawks fan I'd hate to lose being in the same conference as Nashville, Columbus, St Louis, and Detroit. The first three because I can travel there very easily to see the Hawks, and the last because its Original 6 rivalry stuff.

I dont know if you were referring to my fun realignment post, but in that admittedly far-fetched scenario Chicago would stay in the same division as Detroit and St. Louis and would add Milwaukee in lieu of Columbus and Nashville.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this back up. Terrible news out of Russia where a plane carrying players and coaches for the KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl crashed in Western Russia killing all but two people (one player survived with burns to over 80% of his body but he is not expected to make it.)

Among the players and coaches killed are former NHLers Pavol Demitra, Karel Rachunek, Ruslan Salei, Karlis Skrastins and Josef Vasicek. Coaches for the team were former NHL players Brad McCrimmon, Alexander Karpovtsev and Igor Korolev. Former Admiral Robert Dietrich was also killed.

If anyone is interested I might be running a fantasy hockey league. Well, let me take that back, I am running one, but am trying to fill it (we have 5 so far) with local guys. I might be looking for some extras if anyone else wants to join.

Cant wait for the season to start.

Horrible accident in Russia. I first heard the news in the car on ESPN radio, and upon hearing "Pavol Demitra, Ruslan Salei, and Josef Vasicek...", I was just assuming they were coming back over the pond to play for the Canes.

I'll always remember watching Demitra lead Slovakia to the Bronze Medal game at the 2010 Olympics, only to see the Slovaks' 3-0 lead vanish and go home without a medal. Demitra was known as a generally good hockey man and an underrated player. He had some good performances for the Canucks in the twilight of his career, but it looked like he still had more hockey in him.

Skrastins was the type of defender who often gets overlooked, another underrated player during his prime. He was one of the best Latvian players in recent years, and he was a huge part of their back line.

Like Skrastins, Ruslan Salei was a solid, gritty defender from the small Baltic state of Belarus. He was a key part of the 2002 Belorussian Olympic team that shocked Sweden in the quarterfinals.

It's been a horrible summer for hockey. Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, and now this.

Ya'll did see that this plane was banned from flying in Europe because it didn't meet international standards for safety?

http://deadspin.com/58380...e-due-to-safety-concerns

I will say that the only place I've seen the story was on Deadspin, but they did have links to safety reports. I would imagine this will continue to come out as the days pass. If it's true, that's such a damn shame. What a waste.

If anyone is interested I might be running a fantasy hockey league. Well, let me take that back, I am running one, but am trying to fill it (we have 5 so far) with local guys. I might be looking for some extras if anyone else wants to join.
If you're looking at doing an online draft, I would be happy to join should you need extras.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

RyDogg66 wrote:

Just dropped $95 on used hockey equip and $80 on a new helmet. I can stand on skates and skate in circles, but that is about it. I start adult "rookie league" hockey tomorrow night. Cant wait.

Starting position for you should probably be goalie. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Where do you play?

I am far more excited about hockey starting than I am about the NFL.

Thanks for the invite, RyDogg, I am already in.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived