Brewer Fanatic

2010-2011 Pro Hockey Thread

trwi7
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe the guys on NBC were getting on Chara for not taking Burrows down and basically letting Thomas get off easy. That was horrible goaltending by Thomas. Chara is there on defense and Burrows has a terrible angle. You can't go down like that and then lunge for the puck.

I can't believe the guys on NBC were getting on Chara for not taking Burrows down and basically letting Thomas get off easy. That was horrible goaltending by Thomas. Chara is there on defense and Burrows has a terrible angle. You can't go down like that and then lunge for the puck.
Totally agree on that. Thomas has been great all season and throughout the playoffs, but you have to accept that he is going to make some boneheaded mistakes. That was one of them.

Some thoughts on this game.

1. Rome needs to be suspended for the rest of the series.

2. This has been an amazing game even though it's a blowout.

3. I thought for sure the best moment of the game would be Tim Thomas knocking Henrik Sedin on his ass.

4. I thought wrong because Milan Lucic took his glove off and was trying to stick it in Alexandre Burrows' mouth. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

News just came in, Rome suspended for the rest of the finals. Hard to disagree with the suspension; it was an ugly hit and to have that type of scene in the finals can't be good for the NHL's image.

Hopefully Luongo is able to keep things in perspective. I'd hate to see the Blackhawks series all over again out of him.

This definatly changes the series. I don't know if Vancouver excepted to meltdown quite like that, and be tied 2-2 going back home. If Luongo does start Game 5, I think he gets a quick hook if he gives up a few goals early.

I think the Oilers sold out every game at Rexall this season. Canadian fans have absolutely packed the stands in recent years, while most of the teams at the bottom of the attendance table are southern clubs and the Islanders.

At some point, a northern migration is inevitable. Here's my take on some possible moves:

- A second team in Toronto is going to be a really tough sell, but if there is a time to do it, it's now. The Maple Leafs are horrible. Still, I think the allegiances there are just too strong.

- Hamilton may be an option though; for some reason I think Hamiltonians would be able to drop their Leafs allegiances quicker. With the Leafs and Senators right around the corner though, it would still be tough.

- Quebec City is too small of a metro.

- Portland is a solid 6 hours from Vancouver. The metro is about 2.3 million and they have an arena that could be used. To me, this seems like a very good expansion option.

- I don't know how I feel about Milwaukee. I've just never seen it as the center of Wisconsin hockey; Madison and Northern Wisconsin have always seemed to be more interested in hockey than Milwaukee.

- Boise was mentioned in the article. Seriously?

- Salt Lake City was mentioned as well. Just seems far too small for a non-Canadian team.

So, ultimately I think Portland (or Seattle) is easily the best remaining option, while Hamilton and Milwaukee might work as well. I'd like to see the league move back north, but I'm just not sure many more northern cities could sustain teams. Ultimately, I'd like to see Phoenix moved to Portland and both Florida and the Islanders contracted.

Oh, and GO CANUCKS GO!

I dont think Portland and Florida need to be contracted. They need to be moved, but I dont think contraction is the answer. I still think Milwaukee is viable. Milwaukee isnt the center of Hockey in Wisconsin because there isnt a professional team there.

Portland makes a ton of sense and then I think one more team in Canada, either Hamilton or Quebec, with my leanings toward Quebec because there is already tradtion of a pro team there and I bet they would be taken to quickly.

Milwaukee is seriously underrated as a hockey market. The Admirals are always in the top third of AHL attendance and they used to draw over 9,000 when they were in the IHL. Madison is a solid hockey market as well within reasonable driving distance as well.

The problem is Milwaukee is over saturated in sports.

I think we have discussed this before, but I believe the Bradley Center was built with bringing the NHL to Milwaukee in mind. The problem was the expansion franchise fee was too high, and no teams were moving in the late 1990s. Then the push south came, and the chances of getting a team disappeared. That building is a hockey building then a basketball building.

Edit: Per Wikipedia (so it take with a grain of salt): In the early 1990s, they [Lloyd and Jean Pettit] pursued an NHL expansion franchise, and were

considered a front-runner, but withdrew their bid when they felt the

expansion fee was too high.

Vancouver looks like a great city.

Edit: The way I read it is they didn't mind the expansion fee they just couldn't justify paying the expansion fee plus charge the ticket prices they needed to for the crappy players they would've gotten in the expansion draft.

That's perfectly reasonable because the two franchises that Milwaukee was in the running for were Ottawa and Tampa Bay. The Lightning missed the playoffs in 8 of their first 9 seasons and had a record of 246-440-88 in those seasons. Ottawa was a little different. They missed the playoffs their first four seasons but then made the playoffs the next 11 seasons. However their record in their first four seasons was 51-224-23.

What an entertaining Game 5...too bad an embellisher/diver like Lapierre had to score the only goal.

Boston had plenty of PPs, didn't cash in. Hope they bury Luongo at home in game 6 and force a winner take all game 7.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived