Brewer Fanatic

2010-2011 Pro Hockey Thread

trwi7

The problem is even if a Winnipeg team would sell out every game, they'd still be in the bottom third of attendance in the NHL. The only teams they would be beating this year are Dallas, Colorado, Anaheim, New Jersey, Columbus, Atlanta, Phoenix and the Islanders. And that's if they sold out every game.

Speaking of moving teams. I wonder why the Islanders aren't being talked about as a team that could/should move. Their attendance has been pathetic the last ten years and they play in the worst arena in the NHL.

30th

27th

22nd

26th

30th

28th

30th

30th

29th

30th

Haven't been higher than 22nd in attendance and have been at the bottom five times.

As far as tickets for a possible team in Houston. Single game tickets for the Wild range from $26 to $98. Tickets for the Aeros range from $13 to $72. I think fans would be more than willing to pay about $25 extra to watch an NHL team instead of an AHL team.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Attendance is an overrated statistic. Every arena has about the same number of seats close to the action. They are missing out on maybe 3,000 seats that would be in the upper deck and cost $15-20 on average. Over 41 games, that is only about $2 million of missed revenue, and that is assuming that they always sell out and do not discount the tickets.

The bigger issue is if the arena has sufficient clubs/suites and if the new team would get all the revenue. The other important issue is TV. Even if the actual city is small, are there enough people in the region that will switch their allegiance over to the new team?

Based on the population numbers, the answer appears to be "no" for Winnipeg and Quebec City and "yes" for Hamilton/Mississauga and "yes" for about 5 American cities.

But if you look at the nationality of NHL players, Canadian players outnumber US players 3:1. Canadians love their hockey and I have no doubt that a new Canadian team would be immensely popular. The new salary restrictions also ensure that the team could be competitive with the right ownership. Houston could certainly support a team, just like South Florida does, but is it really the right direction for the game to always go to the biggest market? The NHL is currently stuck in the "second tier" of pro sports, despite having a great, exciting product that looks great in HDTV. I think they should take the risk and put another team in Canada--use nostalgia to their advantage and strengthen their roots. Hockey has succeeded in some southern cities, but in many cases the good numbers are because of the size of the city and/or the number of northerners that have relocated there. There is a big different between minor league attendance and a successful NHL team and we make a similar argument when talking about why an MLB team couldn't succeed in Buffalo or Indianapolis. Houston would be great at getting in 17,000 fans/night, but how much does that benefit the NHL if they are not loyal hockey fans?

As for the Islanders, I believe there is talk that they may follow the Nets to Brooklyn. It's technically still on Long Island so it wouldn't really be relocation.

Yeah, the desire to put teams there is pretty much just nostalgia. I remember NHL '92 with Teemu Selanne on the Jets and Mats Sundin on the Nordiques. Plus, the Nordiques had one of the greatest jerseys of all time!

Honestly, the NHL would probably stand a better chance in Hamilton, Ontario, and even there they'd struggle to draw Maple Leafs fans. I just don't see another Canadian team coming in the near future, although I'd love to see it due to my childhood memories of the 8 Canadian team NHL.

I'm really hoping this is finally the year for my Canucks. I'll admit I've only caught a dozen or so games this year, due to general business/grad school apps/dog/life, but man have they looked awesome. If the Sedin twins played in Washington, New York, or Chicago, they'd be up there with all the ESPN superstars. I enjoy watching those two play more than any other combo in the league; just pure artistry and vision on the ice.

• 3 weeks later...

Western Conference is crazy. Top 4 spots are taken care of but Chicago can go from 8th to 5th tomorrow with a win which goes to show how close it is.

The top 4 in the West are set.

1. Vancouver

2. San Jose

3. Detroit

4. Anaheim

Here are the scenarios for seeds 5-8.

If Chicago wins in regulation or overtime:

5. Chicago

6. Nashville

7. Phoenix

8. Los Angeles

If Chicago wins in a shootout:

5. Chicago

6. Phoenix

7. Nashville

8. Los Angeles

If Chicago loses in regulation and Dallas loses:

5. Nashville

6. Phoenix

7. Los Angeles

8. Chicago

If Chicago loses in overtime or a shootout:

5. Nashville

6. Phoenix

7. Chicago

8. Los Angeles

If Chicago loses in regulation and Dallas wins:

5. Nashville

6. Phoenix

7. Los Angeles

8. Dallas

Eastern Conference Playoffs are already set.

(1) Washington Capitals

(8) New York Rangers

(2) Philadelphia Flyers

(7) Buffalo Sabres

(3) Boston Bruins

(6) Montreal Canadiens

(4) Pittsburgh Penguins

(5) Tampa Bay Lightning

On a local note. Congrats to the Admirals for clinching their 4th division title in the last 8 years as well as extending their AHL record of 40 win and 90 points seasons to 8. They also set an AHL record by recording a point in 16 consecutive road games.

Here is the call by Aaron Sims on the division clinching goal with 6.5 seconds left in the 3rd period (they would have clinched anyways since the game would have headed to overtime even with no goal, but where the drama in that?)

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/home/features/04/link3AssetBinary/4-9%20ads%20game%20winner.mp3

Playoffs are set. After Chicago lost yesterday, Dallas had a golden oppurtunity to beat a struggling Wild team to get in and they blew it.

(1) Washington Capitals

(8) New York Rangers

(2) Philadelphia Flyers

(7) Buffalo Sabres

(3) Boston Bruins

(6) Montreal Canadiens

(4) Pittsburgh Penguins

(5) Tampa Bay Lightning

(1) Vancouver Canucks

(8) Chicago Blackhawks

(2) San Jose Sharks

(7) Los Angeles Kings

(3) Detroit Red Wings

(6) Phoenix Coyotes

(4) Anaheim Ducks

(5) Nashville Predators

Of course the only series that doesn't get a game on Versus or NBC is the Nashville series. The Penguins and Lightning series has two on Versus. Every other series has at least four. Nice job, NHL.

So who do you guys like?

I like the Caps, Sabres, Bruins and Lightning in the East. Canucks, Sharks, Coyotes and Predators (homer pick) in the West.

My prediction is Boston over Vancouver in 6.

Really pulling for the Preds and Sharks though.

Hogwash! If there's ever a year for my Canucks, this is it. I have a really bad feeling about the Blackhawks in the first round though...The Canucks are a much better team, but they've been given fits by the Hawks the past two years...

Caps, Sabres, Habs, and Bolts in the East

Nucks, Sharks (only because Anze is out), Yotes, and Ducks in the West

A couple random thoughts, it's funny how just about every hockey team can be shortened to one syllable. Part of me wishes that the NHL didn't reseed after each round because it would be fun filling out hockey brackets like the NCAA Tourney. There is always some type of "cinderella" story. Last year, it was the Habs taking down the Caps. Between the two conferences, no two teams of the same seed won...ie the second round still had seeds 1-8 in them.

Huge win for the Predators last night.

Sabres had a good win today. Flyers went in the tank the last month or two of the season.

Habs with a huge win to steal home ice away from the Bruins.

Admirals beat Texas tonight 5-2. Huge games from three players and quite possibly the easiest three stars ever. Jeremy Smith stopped 23 of 25 shots and had a couple great saves. He might have been the first star most nights but tonight wasn't most nights. Chris Mueller was the second star with 2 goals, 2 assists and a +4 rating and Gabriel Bourque was the first star with 2 goals, 3 assists and a +4 rating.

• 2 weeks later...

The playoffs have been amazing so far.

The Wings, Preds, Caps have advanced to the 2nd round. The Canucks have blown a 3-0 series lead against Chicago and now head back to Vancouver with the weight of the world on their backs trying to win game 7 tomorrow night.

The Lightning and Kings can force game 7s tonight. The Canadiens can force a game 7 tomorrow night.

The Flyers and Sabres will play a game 7 tomorrow night.

This has been the most excited playoffs I've ever watched. No lead is safe, I don't know the exact number but how many times has a team gotten down by 2 or 3 goals and come back to tie it? It's incredible to watch.

Also, tonight is game 6 for the Admirals against Texas. The Admirals lead the series 3-2 and if they win advance to face Houston in the West Division Finals. Plenty of tickets still available tonight and if there is a game 7 it is tomorrow, so head on out and show them some support.

I looked for this thread to pout in, but I couldn't find it last night. I'm about ready to concede Game 7. It was painful watching Luongo come into the game last night, I don't know if I've ever seen a goaltender so mentally shattered in the playoffs.

Outside of the Canucks' failure, I'm enjoying the playoffs. It's comical how much more exciting the NHL playoffs are than the NBA playoffs.

Admirals win a double OT classic! They're looking for revenge starting on Friday night against Houston who knocked the Admirals out in the West Division Finals in 7 games two years ago.

Lightning force game 7. Kings and Sharks going to OT.

Is it common in the NHL playoffs for teams to be up 3-0 or 3-1 and lose the series? I have seen it happen a few times in the past few years that I have been following the playoffs.
3-0 comebacks are rare, I believe it's only happened 3 times in NHL history, with one of those being last year. 3-1 comebacks are more common, I think the number of times that has occurred is 20-30, but it does seem to be happening more recently.

Four game sevens, perhaps a fifth. This is why I love the NHL playoffs.

Just epic playoffs so far. Half the series in the first round will go 7 games. Vancouver just beat Chicago, Luongo and Crawford were great, Luongo had a huge save on a penalty kill in OT. Habs force a game 7 tomorrow in Boston along with the Pens and Lightning in a game 7 tomorrow.

West Semis are set

Nashville vs Vancouver

Detroit vs San Jose

If the Habs win tomorrow it looks like this.

Montreal vs Washington

Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay winner vs Philadelphia

If the Habs lose it looks like this.

Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay winner vs Washington

Boston vs Philadelphia

Gonna try and do this without swearing....

'Hawks are my boys...thank you Crawford for your performance.

Go Preds, beat Luongo! He can be beat, especially by a goalie like Rinne.

I am disappointed by the Blackhawks, but there is always next year, and forever last year!

Lastly, NHL playoffs destroy the NBA.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Funketown - Congratulations -I really thought (seems like you did too) that after the blowouts in games 4 and 5 that the Canucks were toast. They did manage to get back on track in games 6 and 7.

However Bieksa is a punk that needs to get his clock cleaned by someone. (Byfuglein would have - too bad he's not with the 'Hawks anymore) Crawford and Luongo were both awsome in game 7 with the aforementioned stop by Luongo and a critical penalty shot stop by Corey. Blackhawks kept battling all the way finally getting the game tying goal with under 2 minutes to play while short handed.

But the Canucks got the winner and I expect them to thrive the rest of the way. Preds play too tight-fisted to beat them. Western final will be the real Cup match-up with the winner easily knocking off whoever comes from the East.

However Bieksa is a punk that needs to get his clock cleaned by someone.
I hope Shane O'Brien does it. He takes stupid penalties anyways, might as well get a game misconduct so I don't have to watch him.

Funketown - Congratulations -I really thought (seems like you did too) that after the blowouts in games 4 and 5 that the Canucks were toast. They did manage to get back on track in games 6 and 7.

However Bieksa is a punk that needs to get his clock cleaned by someone. (Byfuglein would have - too bad he's not with the 'Hawks anymore) Crawford and Luongo were both awsome in game 7 with the aforementioned stop by Luongo and a critical penalty shot stop by Corey. Blackhawks kept battling all the way finally getting the game tying goal with under 2 minutes to play while short handed.

But the Canucks got the winner and I expect them to thrive the rest of the way. Preds play too tight-fisted to beat them. Western final will be the real Cup match-up with the winner easily knocking off whoever comes from the East.

Thanks, I'll admit I thought the Canucks were finished after watching Luongo play in game 6. Yeah, I imagine Bieksa is an obnoxious player to watch against your team. It's funny how guys like that are "gritty, hard-nosed players" when they're on your team and "raging goons" when they play for the opponent. I'll admit I was a big Matt Cooke fan back when I was in middle school, and now I can't stand that raging goon. This season's Blackhawks were a hard team to really dislike, although the Wisconsinite in me does enjoy a Chicago club getting knocked out.

Crawford was spectacular. Game seven was just a well played game all around and the kind of game you wish for in the playoffs.

This team is good enough that so long as Luongo doesn't completely fall apart (like games 4-6) they should have a good chance to make it a long way. I'm still not optimistic.

Bruins beat the Habs in OT. 9th straight day with an OT game extending the NHL record.

Lightning go on the road and beat Pittsburgh 1-0.

East Semis are set now too.

Lightning vs Capitals

Bruins vs Flyers

Archived