Brewer Fanatic

2010-2011 Pro Hockey Thread

trwi7

I'll let Brian Gionta do the talking.

"Today was a big game. A lot of points were on the line. Important points," said Canadiens forward Brian Gionta, who scored his 200th NHL goal. "It's just an emotional game, and that's what you saw out there."

I don't know if there was dirty play in the last meeting so that could be part of it as well. I thought I heard them say that there was. Plus, this is the best rivalry in hockey. Emotions are always high in a game between those two teams.

And yeah, just tell your wife that the only fighting in North America is in the CHL and the professional leagues, so unless your kids go pro or go to Canada to play junior hockey, she won't have to worry about it. Plus, they wear facemasks, so it's all good. If I was a parent and my kid was in the CHL I'd be more worried about them taking a puck off the face than I would be about a fight.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id like to think that Football and Baseball are emotional games as well (and my wife is well-versed in both fan experiences) and I just dont see the blatant face-punching and all around thuggery. To be honest, it is the only drawback for me, as I have played just about every other sport competitively and cant imagine that hockey is just so different so as to have out-and-out fighting be common and acceptable.

That being said, I am still absolutely in love with the game and I would really like to learn to skate better (i.e. hockey stops, backward skating) so I can play in an old-man's league at the local YMCA next winter.

There's a lot of things in hockey that you can get away with though. Little hacks with the stick when the ref isn't looking, a scrum by the boards for a puck as long as it's not blatant you can get away with stuff down there. It builds up and if a team keeps doing it you either let them keep doing it or you fight to get them to stop.

Fighting in hockey is really weird since there aren't many punches that land. You're trying to grab a hold of the guy so he can't get away and he's trying to do the same and then when you punch you slide on your skates so it's harder to land.

Let's just say that fighting in hockey, especially like that is rare. Maybe one or two a game at most. Last night was an exception.

Here's a good article on the pros and cons of fighting.

http://sports.espn.go.com...ccigross_john&id=2724254

People bring up the Olympics and how nobody fights and it's extremely popular, but they don't mention that those are the best players in the world. The skill level is amazing and no team in the NHL has the kind of skill.

I don't mind fighting. I'd prefer to not have fighting like in the game last night, especially in the last few minutes when the game was decided. It should've been over about 20 minutes earlier, but the fans loved it. Maybe if I was a Bruins or Habs fan I would've enjoyed it a little more (maybe not so much as a Habs fan since they lost but you get the idea.)

Like I said, it's a way of policing the game. There's only four refs and they don't see everything. Sometimes there's something that happens behind the play that no ref sees, fighting controls dirty play that refs don't see.

Like I said, fighting doesn't happen in youth leagues or college or anything like that. If your kids go to the pros or CHL, it might and probably will happen at some point, but should you really be that upset if it does? If your kid is in the pros they have an amazing skill that less than 1% of the population has. If they decide to go to the CHL, they also have amazing skill and have a pretty good chance at a pro career. That's not the worst thing in the world and no one says your kid has to fight.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

RyDogg,

If you or your wife don't like fighting then just watch college hockey.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

http://sports.espn.go.com...hl/news/story?id=6118511

Mario Lemieux chimes in.

Quite frankly, I agree. This crap is an absolute disgrace to the game. If I were in charge of handing out punishments for the Islanders-Pens game, I would (1) Award no points to either team, (2) Fine each team $250,000, (3) Suspend Gillies and Martin for 50 games each.

The Islanders have 48 fighting majors on the year, the Pens a league leading 62.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That abomination is in a nutshell, why I couldn't care less about the NHL anymore.

I am NOT anti-violence. I truly am not. I just find it laughable that the players can't play the game without the threat of a good beat down keeping them from slashing each others heads and faces up with sticks.

When players fist fight in ANY other sport (except boxing or MMA, lolz), they're suspended. In the NHL, for some reason, it's good for a few minutes sit down, and then back out you go.

A lot of times teams will have enforcers to keep other players away from the skill players. When someone goes after a skill player or hacks that player the enforcer usually comes out to 'even' things up. Why do they allow it? I have no idea. Why does baseball let their umpires get into a yelling match with players? I would assume its just the way it is. As someone else mentioned, this last week has been insane with the amount of fighting thats taken place, it is definitely not the norm.

Completely with you RoCo. I'm also NOT anti-violence, but fighting in hockey is just pointless and dumb -- ruins things. I equate hockey fans who get excited and start cheering about a fight with bad NASCAR fans who watch races mostly for the wrecks. (And before anyone gets too offended, my SO is one of those very hockey fans.) A fight breaks out while I'm enjoying a good hockey game, and all I can do is roll my eyes and bite my tongue until the immaturity subsides and they get back to playing the sport.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

http://sports.espn.go.com...hl/news/story?id=6118511

Mario Lemieux chimes in.

Quite frankly, I agree. This crap is an absolute disgrace to the game. If I were in charge of handing out punishments for the Islanders-Pens game, I would (1) Award no points to either team, (2) Fine each team $250,000, (3) Suspend Gillies and Martin for 50 games each.

The Islanders have 48 fighting majors on the year, the Pens a league leading 62.

The fact that the owner of the biggest group of cheapshot artists in Hockey(3 years running) is complaining about cheap shots in hockey is HILARIOUS. Dear Mario, You are right, this fighting is unnecessary, but maybe you should get rid of Matt Cooke(worst i've seen in a while) before complaining about this stuff.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

• 2 weeks later...

I just found the best website to LEGALLY stream NHL games for
free. If it were illegal, I wouldn't be posting the link. I watched
the Kings play the Ducks last night on it. Yahoo sports is the provider
of the stream (local blackout restrictions do apply and a US IP address
is needed). They show two games per night at a good quality. Trwi7
and berniebrewer will be happy for tonight's games...the Preds play the
Hawks and the Habs play the Nucks. I believe Wisconsin is technically
in the Wild market, so these games should not be blacked out. Enjoy!
Yahoo Hockey Night

• 3 weeks later...
Community Moderator

Went to my first ever NHL game last night--to a Florida Panthers game. I must admit that I didn't even know that the Panthers played in South Florida before I came down here, much less at an arena in the middle of nowhere next to a large outlet mall. They happened to be playing the Maple Leafs, so there were about 7,500 Leafs fans in attendance. I felt bad for the Panthers fans because they are a small but loyal group that has to contend with snowbirds cheering for the opposing team. They also hold the mark for the longest playoff drought in NHL history, so it certainly isn't easy cheering for the home team. I do sympathize though since the Brewers were in a similar situation for many years. Fortunately, the Panthers won 4-0 and they have a good young core that has a good chance at ending the playoff drought next year. They also shouldn't have to worry about being relocated thanks to the support from all the visiting fans and the 3-4 other NHL franchises that are in much worse shape. For those that do not think southern states deserve NHL teams, a number of local youth hockey teams were also featured at the game.

Speaking of the playoffs...it's almost that time again. Should be a wide open playoff field this year.

The Western Conference is insane. Teams 3-10 are within 9 points of each other.

It was just a week or two ago that you could have home ice advantage, lose and then be out of the playoffs the next day. Just insane.

Admirals with a huge win yesterday in San Antonio. Now with a 3 point lead on Houston with two games in hand plus points in 14 straight road games. Back home tonight for a game against Lake Erie with a big crowd expected. Huey Lewis and the News with a postgame concert.

Admirals finish the season with 10 of 12 games at home.

Speaking of tight races, the Western Conference West Division is insane right now as well. The top 7 teams are separated by 9 points.

I was at my first ever NHL game this year too. From watching just about the entire NHL season on TV, I knew that the pro game was much faster than college. Seeing it in person, made it so much faster. Passing in the NHL is at another level and can be quite entertaining.

The playoff push in the Western Conference is insane...and a lot of fun to watch and digest. You know it's insane when trwi7 says it to start and finish a post. Coyotes with another huge win in Vancouver last night. Now only one point back of the Sharks for third place. They supposedly have no talent but just keep finding ways to win. Having solid depth in lines 1-3 to spread the offense and an amazing goalie in Ilya Bryzgalov is a perfect recipe for postseason success.

Hopefully they don't move to Winnipeg and turn into the Jets again. This whole bond sale lawsuit is driving me nuts. Even though I don't live in Phoenix and have no plans on moving there, I don't think I could root for a Canadian team. If your a Brewer fan and you live in the Phoenix area, start going to games for my sake!

Great find...makes me feel better about the situation. Something tells me they might try and fail again though. I see Milwaukee is nearly almost 4 times bigger in terms of GDP, maybe they could move to Mil instead. I know that won't happen though...but I can still dream.

I doubt they'd go to Milwaukee. Kansas City was used by Pittsburgh to get a new arena, they have a new arena in Kansas City and no team to compete with at that time of year, so they would be a logical first choice. Houston and San Antonio have new arenas as well but I don't know how the Stars would feel about it.

While he hasn't said anything publically yet, there is this report.

http://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/49864643484717058

I'm told #Pens Mario/Cooke had spoken at great length yesterday and was basically told to change the way he plays or leave.

Following is a statement from Pittsburgh Penguins General Manager Ray Shero after the National Hockey League ruled today that Penguins forward Matt Cooke will be suspended for the rest of the regular season (10 games) and the first round of the playoffs:

“The suspension is warranted because that’s exactly the kind of hit we’re trying to get out of the game. Head shots have no place in hockey. We’ve told Matt in no uncertain terms that this kind of action on the ice is unacceptable and cannot happen. Head shots must be dealt with severely, and the Pittsburgh Penguins support the NHL in sending this very strong message.”

What he doesn't tell you is the citizens of Manitoba and Quebec City would be more willing to go to a game. Manitoba averages over 8,300 for AHL. They have a new arena built after the Jets left, the MTS Center. The arena the Jets played in was miserable. The potential ownership group, True North, includes David Thomson, the 24th richest person in the world and Mark Chipman. Even with a smaller population than Phoenix, they are drawing nearly what the Coyotes draw, and for an inferior product. Just because the city is larger, or has a greater per capita GDP, doesn't mean the people there are hockey fans. Put the team where people will go. The Quebec City is also building a new top line arena.

MTS Centre barely holds 15,000 for games and Manitoba barely has 1.2 million people. A 15,000 seat arena with a 700,000 metro area doesn't scream success to me. You'd be better off putting a team in Hamilton and letting them play at Copps Coliseum (older but bigger than MTS Centre) while they build a new arena. Hamilton is basically the same size as Winnipeg but also has Kitchener and London (450,000+ metro areas) and Burlington (125,000) closer than Toronto.

I'd try Houston. You could keep them in the same division, create a rivalry with Dallas and Houston is a huge metro area with nearly 6 million people that could support the Rockets and an NHL team. The Aeros have had a lot of support as well. In the last 5+ years they've averaged over 6,000 per game. They also have a fairly new arena, the Toyota Center where the Aeros play that holds 17,800 for hockey, so they wouldn't have to wait to build a new arena they could just move right in.

The 15k seating capacity is only a problem if you feel they could consistently draw more than that. In fact, if it leads to more sell outs that is probably a good thing because it makes ticket demand go up for other games. I wouldnt think the 15k seating capacity would be a problem. As I understand it, NHL games are the most expensive tickets in sports, so I wouldnt necessarily equate AHL success with NHL success if the ticket prices are that much different, even if the quality of the product is better. tHat goes for both Houston and Manitoba.

That being said, if all things were equal I would prefer to see teams in Manitoba or Quebec City over Houston and Phoenix.

Archived