Brewer Fanatic

Periard and Estrada outrighted to Nashville. Parra could have hip surgery

bork

Some updates from TH.

The Brewers have sent right-handers Marco Estrada and Alex Periard outright to Class AAA Nashville, removing them from their 40-man roster. The Brewers now have 38 players on their 40-man roster.

Roster Moves

Left-hander Manny Parra is receiving a second opinion on his left hip. Following the second opinion, it will be discussed what the next step will be. The current diagnosis is a possible torn labrum. This is the first I've heard of this, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Parra never mentioned he was having hip problems.
Hip

From a google search, it appears you can tear the labrum in your hip as well.

A hip labral tear involves the ring of soft tissue that follows the outside rim of the socket of your hip joint. This ridge of cartilage, called a labrum, works a little like a suction cup to help hold your hip joint together.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hip-labral-tear/DS00920

If TH didn't know about it, it begs the question, how long has this been a problem and did the Brewers know about it?

The blog also mentions that McGehee had successful knee surgery again. Gamel had successful surgery to remove the sesamoid (?) bone in his foot. And Hawkins is doing physical therapy. All 3 should be ready for spring training.

Aaahhh, that's news to me! Thanks for helping me learn something

A-Rod's hip problem last season was a torn labrum. He had surgery on March 9th of '09, and his first game back was May 8th of the same season. Obviously every case is unique, but hopefully Manny's isn't severe.

Here's an image illustrating where the labrum is in relation to the hip joint, from a SI.com article about A-Rod's procedure[/url]:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/david_epstein/03/08/arod.hip/T1_0308_hipdiagram.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived