Brewer Fanatic

Movies everyone should have or have seen.

theavrock

I'm in the process of converting my DVD library to digital and got me thinking. What are those movies on your list that everyone should have or have seen?

I'll start

American History X

Dumb and Dumber
The Godfather
Rounders
Fight Club

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Trouble in Little China

Gladiator

Army of Darkness

Terminator 2

Back to the Future

Star Wars (original Trilogy)

EDIT: I'm sure I'll think of more every time I re-visit the thread.

Blade Runner

Caddyshack

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jurassic Park

Casablanca

Chinatown

Gone With the Wind

Way too many to list. I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll just list Akira Kurosawa movies that everyone should see:

Seven Samurai

Rashomon

High & Low

Ikiru

Yojimbo

Stray Dog

Dersu Uzala

The Bad Sleep Well

Ran

Kagemusha

No Regrets For Our Youth

Drunken Angel

Throne Of Blood

Hidden Fortress

so, like, a list of our favourite movies?

i already haven't seen a lot of these.

I took it to be a list of movies that you would expect that most people have seen, as opposed to favorite movies or movies you wish more people would have seen.

I didn't include Major League, for instance, because it doesn't have that sense of universal appeal that the other films I listed do. It's my most seen baseball movie, and a great comedy, but aside from the Milwaukee connections it's more genre-fare than a transcendent film. As a pop-culture reference generator, while I can quote the movie myself, I don't see those quotes repeated in the popular culture (aside from Uecker's "Juuuust a bit outside" call). It just doesn't have the same influence that we were being asked about.

(I didn't put The Godfather on the list either, both because it was already suggested....and because I've never sat through the whole thing. That said, I've picked up enough quotes and references to the film that I have a general sense for it, because it's just one of those movies.)

• 3 months later...

I didn't want to start a new thread, but Black Swan absolutely belongs in this topic. Saw it yesterday, and whoa. Mindbending, intense, gritty, and incredible. If Portman doesn't win the Best Actress Oscar, something's wrong. She was amazing.

It's been a really, really long time since a movie has given me that much of a rush*. I was blown away, and obviously can't really say enough good things about this film. I was expecting to like it. But it's easily one of the best movies I've ever seen.

* And no, that's not due to the Kunis-Portman sex scene. I'm sure that didn't hurt, though.

EDIT: Is there just a movies thread? I know there's the DVD rental day one, but I mean just a thread for movies in general. I see someone started a thread for True Grit, and I know there've been threads on other movies... might be a good idea to create one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I didn't want to start a new thread, but Black Swan absolutely belongs in this topic. Saw it yesterday, and whoa. Mindbending, intense, gritty, and incredible. If Portman doesn't win the Best Actress Oscar, something's wrong. She was amazing.

It's been a really, really long time since a movie has given me that much of a rush*. I was blown away, and obviously can't really say enough good things about this film. I was expecting to like it. But it's easily one of the best movies I've ever seen.

* And no, that's not due to the Kunis-Portman sex scene. I'm sure that didn't hurt, though.

EDIT: Is there just a movies thread? I know there's the DVD rental day one, but I mean just a thread for movies in general. I see someone started a thread for True Grit, and I know there've been threads on other movies... might be a good idea to create one

I've been unsure as to whether or not I should see this. Definitely going to now. In love with Natalie Portman. I tell the old lady she is my movie star wife.

Some selected essentials. By genre.

Silents

The General

City Lights

Metropolis

Nosferatu

Science Fiction

The Thing from Another World

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Forbidden Planet

2001: A Space Odyssey

Star Wars

Alien

The Empire Strikes Back

Blade Runner

Robocop

The Matrix

Horror

Frankenstein / Bride of Frankenstein

Cat People

Horror of Dracula

The Curse of Frankenstein

Psycho

Rosemary's Baby

Night of the Living Dead

Dawn of the Dead

Halloween

Fantasy

The Wizard of Oz

The Lord of the Rings

War

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Lawrence of Arabia

Apocalypse Now

Saving Private Ryan

Gangster

Scarface

White Heat

The Godfather I + II

Goodfellas

Westerns

Stagecoach

Fort Apache

Red River

The Searchers

The Seven Samurai

Yojimbo

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Unforgiven

I'll have more later.

Robert

"The General"

You know, I just watched that for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and even though I absolutely love Buster Keaton and his movies, I just didn't laugh very much at it. Sure, it was a masterpiece of film--I'll give it that. But the comedic values just didn't do it for me, short of a couple of chuckles. "The Cameraman" does it for me every time, though; although I think this is because it is the Keaton film that I first watched and "fell in love with" when I was in college.

Otherwise, I really like that list, Robert. It's amazing that I've seen only 19 of the 44 that you have listed.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Just put Taegukgi on hold at the library, Brewtacular. Thanks for the recommendation.

City of God

I just noticed this post. I saw this film a few months ago now, but it was incredible as well. Definitely a little something different.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just put Taegukgi on hold at the library, Brewtacular. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sweet. It's been a bit of a personal quest to convince people I know to watch it. I really should be getting some kick backs from Korea.
Hope you enjoy!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is a cool, albeit tough topic.

My favorite movies aren't necessarily those that I think 'everyone' should see. There's a good movie, and then there's great movies. Movies that move you, or make you think a long time afterwards about the themes, ideas, and ideals. Movies that, for their genre, stand head and shoulders above the vast majority of 'good' movies out there. THOSE are the type of movies that 'everyone' should see. At least by my definitions and standards.

I like Robert's way of breaking it down by genre, but I don't have a concentrated enough thought process to do it that way.

Movies that I have seen, that I feel that for one reason or another, are transcendent, and films that ANY fan of that particular genre should draw enjoyment from.........

Star Wars (original trilogy ONLY)

Serenity

Hitchhikers Guide

V for Vendetta (WAY different than the book, but still good)

Alien

Aliens (Everything after this was very standard sci/fi horror in the Alien series)

Dances With Wolves

Tombstone

Silverado

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West

(I love westerns, for the most part)

Metropolis

Saving Private Ryan (I have a very hard time watching this, but I do watch it. I wouldn't say I 'enjoy' it, but I am compelled by it, none the less)

Shawshank Redemption

Heat

Goodfellas

I know I've seen more, but these are the ones that come to mind.

YOu know, conversely, there's a few movies I've seen that have absolutely been proclaimed as BRILLIANT or a SPECTACLE, and so I watched them, with high hopes, and came away feeling like.......you know, that was a good film and all, but nothing transcendent.

Fight Club

Pan's Labyrinth

American Beauty.

I mean I 'get' them. I do. I understand these films, I just wasn't blown away by them.

King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters.

Must see...documentary.....unbelievable the world of nostalgic video game playing.

One of my favorite movies! So glad to see it named in this thread.

I would have so much trouble making a list of must-see movies. Just thinking about it hurts my head. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Archived