2010 Postseason Thread

Yankees over Twins in 4

Rays over Rangers in 4

Phillies over Reds in 3

Giants over Braves in 4

Yankees over Rays in 6

Giants over Phillies in 7

Yankees over Giants in 6

Phillies seem too obvious to come out of the NL, so I think they get tripped up along the way. The Giants would be nice to root for, but this is a rare year where I can get behind a majority of the teams in the race. Totally wouldn't mind if the Giants, Braves, Rays, Rangers, or Twins win it all. Should be fun.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yankees over Twins in 5

Rays over Rangers in 4

Giants over Braves in 4

Phillies over Reds in 3

Yankees over Rays in 5

Giants over Phillies in 7

Yankees over Giants in 6

I don't think the Braves will get out of the NLDS but I am rooting for them. I think it would be cool to see Bobby Cox win it all in his final season.

This isn't what I necessarily want to happen, but what I think will likely happen:

Yankees over Twins in 5

Rays over Rangers in 4

Giants over Braves in 3

Phillies over Reds in 4

Rays over Yankees in 7

Phillies over Giants in 5

Rays over Phillies in 6

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Twins over Yankees in five

Rays over Rangers in five

Giants over Braves in four

Phillies over Reds in three

Twins over Rays in six

Phillies over Giants in five

Phillies over Twins in five.

I hope that the playoffs are fun to watch.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator

Tough call this year. Tempting to go against my preseason prediction of the Yankees winning it all, so I will still predict this to be #2 of their 4-peat.

Yankees 3 Twins 2

Rays 3 Rangers 1

Phillies 3 Reds 1

Giants 3 Braves 0

Yankees 4 Rays 3

Phillies 4 Giants 2

Yankees 4 Phillies 1

My prediction is that all the teams that I want to see win will end up losing in the first round. That means it will be the Yankees vs the Rangers in the ALCS, and the Phillies vs Braves in NLCS. Phillies beat the Yankees in the World Series.

Yankees will steamroll the Twins. Phillies do the same to Cincy and Atlanta. The Yankees/Rangers series should be a good one, as will the world series. I do hope the Rays prove me wrong and end up beating the Rangers, Yankees, and Phillies. I'm also looking forward to seeing Lincecum in the playoffs.

I usually don't watch much postseason baseball but last night I caught several innings. What struck me watching Cliff Lee closely was that his delivery is not all that different from Chris Narveson. When Narveson's right, he's got a good curveball and changeup and that enables him to freeze hitters with his 89-90 mph fastball, much like Lee's freezing guys with his 92-93 heater. No question Lee benefits from the extra 2-3 mph and he's shown he can consistently command his other very high quality stuff over the long haul, but I think there's hope that Narveson could become a poor mans Cliff Lee and do a lot better job than typical #5 starters.

Last night was my first time watching Nelson Cruz since the trade. And he goes out and scores the winning run.

To be fair though, that double should have been a triple (but he stared at it for a good couple seconds) and that throw would have gotten him at third (because of the bad jump) if it wasn't so offline. He did not impress me that inning.

I usually don't watch much postseason baseball but last night I caught several innings. What struck me watching Cliff Lee closely was that his delivery is not all that different from Chris Narveson. When Narveson's right, he's got a good curveball and changeup and that enables him to freeze hitters with his 89-90 mph fastball, much like Lee's freezing guys with his 92-93 heater. No question Lee benefits from the extra 2-3 mph and he's shown he can consistently command his other very high quality stuff over the long haul, but I think there's hope that Narveson could become a poor mans Cliff Lee and do a lot better job than typical #5 starters.

That's the rub though, Lee has absolutely impeccable command, arguably the best in the game. In 211 regular season innings this year, Lee only issued a ridiculously low 18 walks. That's absolutely insane, is K/BB ratio was a sick 185/18.

Velocity obviously matters for pitchers, but when facing so many highly skilled MLB hitters nearly every start, command is the most important thing for any pitcher. I'd guess that at least 40 percent of the pitchers in MLB can throw a fastball 92-93 or faster like the range of Lee, but the majority of them miss their intended location fairly consistently. Le rarely does.

It will be very interesting to see how Lee ages as a pitcher.

Given the 2-year downswing in the Brewers pitching staff, does Brewerfan have any mixed emotions seeing Mike Maddux coaching in the ALCS - for a team that has historically lacked pitching to go with their hitting?
Not really considering they have all new pitchers. If he had turned their old pitchers into contenders I'd have more mixed emotions. They also had a lot of luck in that staff outside of Lee.

I guess this fits here because the article is about post-season participants, but did anyone else read this article? The premise is that the the Rangers / Braves trade for Teixeira was a win-win because Texas is in the playoffs and Teixeira has a ring. What about the Braves? I wouldn't exactly call their side of the trade a win.

Oh, wait. This is an ESPN story, it has to revolve around the Yankees.

Archived