Brewer Fanatic

Team by team analysis of Fielder trade partners

NYChez

Once he is signed for next year, DFA Fielder. Interested teams will know it's now or never to offer up their best packages, and the good part is that it has to be within 10 days, so the process will be quick. I would guess that someone will offer a couple of low A ball arms for him that should fit nicely by 2014. Worst case is that no trade can be made. Even then, I don't think he will pass through waivers. Some big market team will claim him and we'll have his salary off the books

Going further, if Villanueva can be turned into that 2nd baseman from Toronto, there is really no need for Weeks either. Since his agent also represented Sabathia, the odds of an extension are low. DFA him at the same time.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how have we been doing the past few years with that offense?

I don't care for this reasoning. It's not the fault of the offense that the team hasn't played as well as hoped/expected, and not every team can win like the Giants did this past year. Good teams usually win when they have both good pitching and hitting.

My view is something like this: "We should take what we can get for him right now BECAUSE we are not likely to win with him in 2011, he is almost assured of leaving after this season, and I believe we are more likely to get players who can help us in the future in a trade than in the draft".

But what's the rush to make a move? If his value is at an all-time low for a variety of reasons, don't simply take what you can get for him now. If Melvin has the same philosophy, he should be fired on the spot. That's an effective way to run a franchise straight into the ground.

As it stands right now, they have one of the best offenses in baseball.

And how have we been doing the past few years with that offense?

Ranger fans probably said the same thing a year ago. On paper, their pitching didn't look very hot either.

I put the last two years on Macha and Melvin. Melvin had better do something about this pitching staff this off season. He's already starting with the excuses, and frankly I'm tired of it. Other teams can trade for pitching and/or pick up a higher upside/high risk guy on a one year deal. It's time for Melvin to do the same.

Apparently the trade for Gonzalez has fallen through. If I were Melvin I'd make a call right away and offer Fielder to Boston as a consolation prize. If they were ready to offer Kelly, Rizzo, Fuentes, and another guy for Gonzalez, perhaps Melvin could convince them to offer Rizzo and Ranuado for Fielder. Or even Ranaudo and Lars Anderson.

Apparently the trade for Gonzalez has fallen through. If I were Melvin I'd make a call right away and offer Fielder to Boston as a consolation prize. If they were ready to offer Kelly, Rizzo, Fuentes, and another guy for Gonzalez, perhaps Melvin could convince them to offer Rizzo and Ranuado for Fielder. Or even Ranaudo and Lars Anderson.
I really hope that Melvin has made that call.....If I were him, I'd be calling at 2:01, once I knew the trade fell through and say, what can we do?

I would think Doug needs to make a serious run at Greinke before deciding what to do with Fielder. If they are able to acquire Greinke for prospects and are in better position to compete in 2011, I'd think they'd only deal Fielder for someone they feel can step into the rotation this year. If that's not available, keep Fielder and sign a lesser SP for the #4 slot and make a run that way.

They want a bat like Gonzalez for the next 6 years, not for one year. The only way they are taking Fielder is if they can sign him long term and I don't see it happening. Sure make the call but I won't blame him when nothing happens.

Apologies if this was posted already...

Before the White Sox finalized their four-year contract with free agent slugger Adam Dunn on Thursday, they made one last call to the Brewers to "exchange thoughts" about Prince Fielder, according to FoxSports.com.

Those talks never progressed, and the White Sox finalized their deal with Dunn. On the surface it would seem to hurt the Brewers' chances of moving Fielder this winter for starting pitching, since the White Sox were one of few teams looking for a left-handed power bat with some arms to spare.

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin downplayed that notion on Thursday afternoon.

"Does it hurt us? No, not if there wasn't a deal to be done," Melvin said. "We weren't close with them on anything. Teams aren't really looking to trade pitchers at this point."

Link

Is it too much to wish for a GM that doesn't live by arbitrary rules for trading? ('you get more for bats in the offseason'; 'we must get pitching for Fielder'; 'we want MLB-ready pitchers')

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Adam Dunn, Victor Martinez and Jayson Werth are off the market, Adrian Gonzalez has been traded and reports indicate that Paul Konerko will re-sign with the White Sox. I would imagine Crawford is going to go off the market pretty quick, although I don't see Crawford posing as much competition as the other guys. Basically, having all of these hitters fly off the market so quickly is good for the Brewers if they are intent on dealing Prince. And it's obvious they are willing and able to spend some big bucks in the process.

I can't remember if I have openly said this, but if they do trade Fielder, I hope they pursue Derek Lee.

Yeah, I should have clarified my point- that the team isn't restricted to looking only for major-league ready pitching. They could grab a nice bat or two instead, or prospects, etc.

I think our best return on Fielder will probably be a good MiLB bat. Maybe that is why Lawrie was traded.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I personally don't see Washington as a trade candidate, but MLBTR noted that Washington has negotiated 3 contracts with Boras in recent years: Werth, Strasburg and Harper. Maybe the Nationals would trade for Fielder if they got the sense that they could be the highest bidder for Fielder and get him (and with quite a few of the big market teams locked up, that might not be an impossible notion).

Washington definitely has the money to lock up Fielder long term if they wish to. With them signing Werth, maybe it's a sign they feel they are close to contending and would be open to trading for Prince. I think it's still somewhat of a longshot, but not impossible.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I personally don't see Washington as a trade candidate, but MLBTR noted that Washington has negotiated 3 contracts with Boras in recent years: Werth, Strasburg and Harper. Maybe the Nationals would trade for Fielder if they got the sense that they could be the highest bidder for Fielder and get him (and with quite a few of the big market teams locked up, that might not be an impossible notion).

How about bringing back the Wisconsin boy Jordan Zimmerman in a trade? I mainly just say that because I have an autographed rookie card of his. I have no clue what Washington has to trade, but they seem delusional enough to think they can compete and sign Fielder to a long deal so it would be worth a shot.

I am hoping that the Marcum deal convinces Melvin that he doesn't necessarily need to get pitching in a Fielder deal. Concentrating on just pitching closes off ways to get the most value.
This seems to be the predominant train of thought now. Of course, they could just decide to hang onto Fielder as well and try to make one more run with him. Basically I think Melvin doesn't have to deal Fielder unless he's blown away by an offer...and it doesn't have to involve a starting pitcher, as you said.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived