Brewer Fanatic

Team by team analysis of Fielder trade partners

NYChez

The White Sox have been hot after Adam Dunn, which isn't new, and recently offered Paul Konerko arbitration, which I think surprised a lot of people. The Rangers supposedly are linked to Konerko, and were in on Victor Martinez before the Tigers signed him.

The Orioles were also pursuing Victor Martinez, and of course the Red Sox tried to re-sign him before he left.

The Dodgers apparently were making a push for Huff before he re-signed with the Giants.

I know a lot of people feel as though this offseason isn't the best time to trade Prince, but there enough teams out there looking for a big bat to think something big could happen. The Rangers, White Sox, Dodgers and Orioles (I don't think the Red Sox would get involved, as I think they preferred V-Mart's flexibility as a C/1B/DH) remain legitimate suitors.

I agree with the assessment in the thread on the MLB forum talking about the V-Mart signing that the Tigers are likely out of the mix. As are the Giants, who re-signed Huff and have one of the better, rising 1B prospects in the minors in Brandon Belt.

Others have mentioned this, but I do believe the A's could be a darkhorse. They too are reportedly looking for a big bat to DH, and Beane (despite his quote about Prince in Moneyball) has been known to deal prospects for proven stars (Johnny Damon, Jermaine Dye, Matt Halladay).

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The White Sox have been hot after Adam Dunn, which isn't new, and recently offered Paul Konerko arbitration, which I think surprised a lot of people. The Rangers supposedly are linked to Konerko, and were in on Victor Martinez before the Tigers signed him.

The Orioles were also pursuing Victor Martinez, and of course the Red Sox tried to re-sign him before he left.

The Dodgers apparently were making a push for Huff before he re-signed with the Giants.

I know a lot of people feel as though this offseason isn't the best time to trade Prince, but there enough teams out there looking for a big bat to think something big could happen. The Rangers, White Sox, Dodgers and Orioles (I don't think the Red Sox would get involved, as I think they preferred V-Mart's flexibility as a C/1B/DH) remain legitimate suitors.

I agree with the assessment in the thread on the MLB forum talking about the V-Mart signing that the Tigers are likely out of the mix. As are the Giants, who re-signed Huff and have one of the better, rising 1B prospects in the minors in Brandon Belt.

Others have mentioned this, but I do believe the A's could be a darkhorse. They too are reportedly looking for a big bat to DH, and Beane (despite his quote about Prince in Moneyball) has been known to deal prospects for proven stars (Johnny Damon, Jermaine Dye, Matt Halladay).

Sox offered arby to Konerko knowing he wouldn't take it. Konerko wants to go to the west coast with Anaheim a likely destination. I think the White Sox still have interest but they are going to pursue cheaper options first. Their minor league system is pretty barren and while Floyd may be available, they would prefer not having to give up another guy off their major league roster.

If Konerko walks, the Sox would appear to be a real option. I wonder when they'll get another update on Peavey's status. I'd probably start at an offer of Fielder, Parra, and Stetter for Floyd. Stetter is basically a throw-in there that they might like as a potential loogy. Seems like it's something for them to seriously think about.

I'd probably start at an offer of Fielder, Parra, and Stetter for Floyd.
that is absolutly insane
If you disagree, perhaps you could explain why instead of just throwing an insult out there.

its hardly an insult. if i said that HTR is insane, that might be an insult. i know that parra and stetter have very little trade value but they are not throw in players either(at least not parra). it definatly should not be a STARTING point for discussions. fielder for floyd and beckham is a starting point.

Yep I think that Fielders trade value is way down right now. Here's why,

1.) Cheaper and better alternatives out there.

2.) He is probably going to make around 16 million next season.

3.) He is 1 year from FA

4.) His agent is Scott Boras which means that an extension before FA is not likely. Making him a 1 year rental.

The Brewers would be very lucky to get even a number 3 SP for him. Many fans will be disappointed if that happens. I'm guessing DM hands are tied right now and he might be better off holding onto Fielder.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Since it APPEARS that other teams have little interest in Fielder this year for a variety of reasons ( free agency, the Boras factor etc.), I wonder how many teams will be interested next year at this time. Boras is going to demand a huge package for Fielder both in salary and years. Is it possible that a Brewers package of $18M and 5 years is the best Fielder can get in the open market?

Since it APPEARS that other teams have little interest in Fielder this year for a variety of reasons ( free agency, the Boras factor etc.), I wonder how many teams will be interested next year at this time. Boras is going to demand a huge package for Fielder both in salary and years. Is it possible that a Brewers package of $18M and 5 years is the best Fielder can get in the open market?
It may very well be. I don't think any team out there is seriously going to pony up $150 million+ like Boras and Fielder seem to be expecting.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Do you have reason to believe Melvin wants to trade Fielder? Sure, he wants to improve the club anyway he can, and trading Fielder could be a great way to do that, depending on the return, but I don't see any reason to believe that Melvin has a specific goal of trading Fielder away.

Clearly we can't take everything GM's say at face value, but Melvin has said that he doesn't want to be the guy that trades Fielder away. He likened it to trading away Gretzky. Now, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it might give some insight into how Melvin would like to build a club for 2011.

4.) His agent is Scott Boras which means that an extension before FA is not likely. Making him a 1 year rental.

While that is the popular and perhaps correct take on it I think it all depends on who trades for him. If it's a big market team they may allow him to go to FA but they can match any offer and have the added advantage of not having to give up a draft pick to get him. Would Boston, for instance, think he would be a one year guy if they traded for him or would they view a trade as a way to get a year's wroth of production while simultaneously getting an advantage towards a long term deal.

His production, size and available alternatives have more to do with his value than his status as a rental IMHO.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I agree that it's obvious that Fielder is our biggest trade chip right now. The problem is that I'm not sure that any team are seriously interested enough in him right now. Teams might have a passing interest, but I don't think anyone will come calling for awhile. Hopefully things amp up at the winter meetings, or I'll lose hope in the situation.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Teams might have a passing interest, but I don't think anyone will come calling for awhile. Hopefully things amp up at the winter meetings, or I'll lose hope in the situation.

You said it yourself, teams may not come calling for a while, so I wouldn't lose hope in the situation if we don't hear things between now and the end of the winter meetings. I think many to most of the bigger bats currently available via free agency are going to have to sign before a team is willing to trade what Melvin probably is looking for to obtain Prince. I don't think Prince's value is as low as many are projecting, since impact bats like his are still hard to come by, but I think most teams are going to try and get involved with a player that "only" costs them a big money contract and not players/pitching in return via trade.

I'd just say no to Adam Dunn. Some of the arguments about letting Prince walk involve his poor defense and assumed decline due to his size. In my opinion, Dunn would be much worse in both of those areas. He's five years older than Prince, and guys that big tend to break down (knee problems and the like) pretty quickly. Frankly, I don't think Dunn would come much cheaper than Prince anyway, since he's probably the premier left-handed bat on the market this season. Next year, the fact that both Pujols and Gonzalez may be on the market could create an excess supply of obscenely expensive first baseman- this could drive Prince's value down.

I'd be all for signing Dunn. He has been consistently very productive on offense just like Fielder has, but he won't require that long term commitment. His defense is an issue just like Fielders is, but his offensive number make up for that big time. Dunn is the only player that I think could make up for the loss of Fielder instantly and that won't require a long term commitment beyond 4-5 years. If the Brewers do end up trading Fielder then I would hope they sign Dunn to replace him.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived