Brewer Fanatic

Team by team analysis of Fielder trade partners

NYChez
All hope of prying one of the pitchers from the Giants pretty much died when they made the playoffs. Once they made the World Series, they were blown to heck- win or lose. I was hoping that their offense would sputter down the stretch and they'd lose a lot of pitcher's duels, missing the playoffs. I figured if that would have happened, a deal built around Fiedler and Cain may have had a chance, but that's not happening now.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still wouldn't count the Yankees out of the running for a Fielder trade. Though I am not sure what the Yankees could offer the Brewers that would be realistic. I don't see them trading Hughes and I am not all that interested in Chamberlain. I also wouldn't count out the Red Sox and the Dodgers make some sense especially with the Lilly signing. The Rangers could also be a real strong possibility along with the White Sox and Blue Jays though I think the Jays will go with Manny Ramirez as DH and move Lind to 1B. The Tigers are also a very strong possibility. The teams that I think make sense the most are 1) Tigers 2) Red Sox 3) Dodgers 4) Yankees 5) Rangers/White Sox/Jays. A surprise team could be the Nationals or the Orioles though I don't think the Orioles are close to competing yet but I do expect the Orioles to go hard after Fielder once he hits free agency.

The teams I like the best personally would be the Tigers, Rangers, and Dodgers. With the Dodgers you could probably pry Billingsley away from the Dodgers which would be a fair deal for both the Brewers and the Dodgers. The Rangers and Tigers have some really good young pitching prospects in their farm systems so they are obviously favorites to target. I would prefer Billingsley over prospects for Prince since I believe the Brewers could lock up Billingsley to a contract similar to what they gave Gallardo.

Why is Billingsley seen as a guy the Dodgers would be looking to trade? He has two more years of team control left, if I'm not mistaken. Seems like he'd be a good return for Prince at this point, but I'm not sure why the Dodgers would make such a trade.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Why is Billingsley seen as a guy the Dodgers would be looking to trade? He has two more years of team control left, if I'm not mistaken. Seems like he'd be a good return for Prince at this point, but I'm not sure why the Dodgers would make such a trade.
The Dodgers need to replace Ramirez bat. After Dunn there really isn't anyone in free agency who can replace Ramirez. I have the Cubs ahead of the Dodgers in getting Dunn. That means the next logical place the Dodgers would have to look would be in the trade market. Fielder makes sense for the Dodgers. The reason why Billingsley would be available is because they can replace Billingsley with Kuroda and Lilly and if anything the Brewers could always put Narveson into the deal which would give the Dodgers a #5 starter. The Dodgers rotation without Billingsley would be Kershaw, Kuroda, Lilly, Padilla, and then a #5 starter. With the signing of Lilly it can make one of either Kuroda or Billingsley available. Kuroda is a free agent but I believe the Dodgers will resign Kuroda which makes Billingsley expendable. The Dodgers could also get a #4 or a #5 starter by trading Loney to the Nationals. The Nationals are really high on Loney and I could see them giving up a #4 or #5 starter for Loney and possibly even more maybe a #3 type of a starter for Loney though that is probably stretching it for Loney.

Ramirez is basically gone and I could actually see the Dodgers trading both Loney and Martin this off season. Loney or Martin should yield a return of a #3 starter at best but they will probably receive a #4 or a #5 type of a pitcher in return for either of those players.

If the Dodgers want to replace Manny, they presumably have the option of bringing back Manny. They could do it without trading players, and I don't think that Manny is going to get paid more than Prince in 2011, but that's just a guess.

I have a feeling - and it's probably just that - that Fielder will continue the trend of being superhuman in every other year, and especially next year with FA looming. If this happens, we may be able to swindle someone at the deadline and get more than we would right now.

Certainly not my most astute, statistically sound analysis, just a hunch.

I have a feeling - and it's probably just that - that Fielder will continue the trend of being superhuman in every other year, and especially next year with FA looming. If this happens, we may be able to swindle someone at the deadline and get more than we would right now.

Certainly not my most astute, statistically sound analysis, just a hunch.

Not a bad hunch, though. It would mirror what the Brewers did with Greg Vaughn in '96 (granted, the only commonalities are the Brewers and its respective star player since Bando's gone, the Seligs aren't the owners, etc.).

If the Dodgers want to replace Manny, they presumably have the option of bringing back Manny. They could do it without trading players, and I don't think that Manny is going to get paid more than Prince in 2011, but that's just a guess.
All rumors and information that I see point to Manny not returning with the Dodgers. More like Manny is not able to play a whole year in the OF and the NL doesn't have a DH rule so that means he would have to go to an AL team. Manny has stated he would like to play for the Jays because of their recent manager hire.

where the Giants succeeded, others failed. maybe this motivates other teams to add more offense than they otherwise would have.

Fielder just seems rife for a three-way trade.

What your suggesting involves creativity. Melvin is a lot of things, but creative is not one of them.

As for Giants, didn't we learn there's nothing wrong with the Giant offense in that July series when the outscored the Brewers 36-7? Any thought that they'd pony up for Fielder had to end way back then.

where the Giants succeeded, others failed. maybe this motivates other teams to add more offense than they otherwise would have.

Fielder just seems rife for a three-way trade.

What your suggesting involves creativity. Melvin is a lot of things, but creative is not one of them.

Melvin must have gotten someone to explain it to him when he made a 3 way trade back in 2000 with the Rangers then. Must every thread turn into a chance to bash DM?

As for Giants, didn't we learn there's nothing wrong with the Giant

offense in that July series when the outscored the Brewers 36-7? Any

thought that they'd pony up for Fielder had to end way back then.

Are you really suggesting we should have drawn conclusions on the Giants offense from watching 3 games against the Brewers 1st half pitching staff?

I've been reading a lot lately about Baltimore desperately needing a big time hitter in the lineup, ideally one who plays first base. Fielder obviously fits perfectly with that, but having only one year left on his contract may prevent Baltimore from giving up something too good for him unless they think they can resign him.

Would Jake Arrietta or Zach Britton be asking too much for Fielder? Maybe Chris Tillman?

Just looking at Baseball America's Tampa Bay Rays top 10 today, with 6 pitchers in their top 10. It's a shame Tampa isn't looking for a Fielder type. If I were Milwaukee, I'd approach them and offer to pay 75% of Fielder's salary in return for some of Tampa's pitching prospects. I'd throw in another mid ceiling hitter too if I had to.

For some strange reason I am stuck on the Dodgers acquiring Prince. If the Dodgers would part with Billingsley, Loney, and Martin that could be a good haul for the Brewers. Loney and Martin would be throw ins to clear some money for the Dodgers. The Brewers could also add in Gomez to that deal. I would prefer Gomez going that way so Cain would be the starter in CF next year. Martin would be a very expensive back up catcher and I am not sure he will ever be able to be a catcher again with the injury he sustained this year. Martin has very little value offensively if he is playing anywhere but catcher.

I'd be pretty happy to get Floyd for Prince. He's been a 4.5 WAR pitcher (according to Fangraphs) each of the last two years and he's under control through 2013 at a well below-market salary ($5mil in 2011, 7mil in 2012, and club option for 9.5mil in 2013). Hard to believe the Sox would part with him. But Kenny Williams is a wildcard and they do have a fairly deep rotation depending how Peavy comes back.

Rosenthal mentions the White Sox' Gavin Floyd as a trade possibility in his latest column. That would make sense, I'd think.
It looks as though Beckham is available also I am not sure the Brewers or the White Sox would put him in the deal or would want him.

In the dream world of getting more pitching, maybe we can get in on the "expanded" trade talks the Red Sox and Diamondbacks are exploring.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/justin-upton-rumors-thursday.html

I am horrible at proposing ideas like this but maybe something along the lines of:

Red Sox get Justin Upton, prospect?
Brewers get Jon Lester
Diamondbacks get Prince Fielder + 4 million dollars, Lorenzo Cain, and Daniel Bard

You might be right, and I wouldn't want to see the Brewers give up all that for "just" Jon Lester.

I really think Prince gets traded 1-for-1 for a guy like Gavin Floyd, or Melvin hangs onto him going into 2011. No one is trading young cheap high upside guys right now. Just my hunch.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would love to see the Brewers be able to get Lester for Prince + Lawrie, but I don't see why Boston would want to make that deal. I'm not even sure they'd do it if you included a pitching prospect along with Lawrie & Fielder.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived