Brewer Fanatic

Team by team analysis of Fielder trade partners

NYChez
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but aren't we talking about trading Fielder for the same type of player/s that we'd be able to get if we moved Fielder at the deadline next season? even if it's a small dropoff, there would then seem to be more value in keeping him to improve even that one-year window of winning the division.

i have a vision of trading Fielder this offseason for some players, then being in contention next season, then trading prospects at the deadline to land Fielder for more power in our lineup.

If the Brewers can get a Greinke or Garza type starter in a trade for prospects, I really doubt they will turn around and trade Fielder. I think at that point they'll feel they can make a good run in 2011 with Fielder at first base. Then he'll either get traded by the deadline if the team is out of it, or be left to walk in free agency.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If the Brewers can get a Greinke or Garza type starter in a trade for prospects

I think the only way they get Greinke is to include prospects they may have to get by trading Prince. Garza or Shields would be a possibility without that, though.

I think the only way they get Greinke is to include prospects they may have to get by trading Prince.

Living in Baltimore, I heard Andy MacPhail on the radio this morning and he said the last two priorities for the Orioles offseason are to address the 1B situation and add another RP. I'd be down for a Prince/Axford for Tillman/Arrieta/Josh Bell type deal that gives us a couple extra arms to flip for Greinke. The Orioles are desperate for power and Prince would look real nice next to Mark Reynolds in that lineup and the O's (or at least the fans around here) seem to be souring a little bit on Tillman and Bell especially. Bell's another big bat with questionable defense, but it'd be nice to have another guy (especialyl a switch hitter) to throw into the mix in trying to fill Prince's shoes in the lineup.

I'm sure it's still a pipe-dream to get Greinke, but I will LOVE this team if we can get ahold of him.

If Baltimore is the trade partner AND if Prince is open to extending, per Boras, and is given a 72-hour window to do so AND they reach an agreement, I would start with Brian Matusz. For a re-signed slugger for 7 years, I believe Matusz is fair game.
Matusz, Zach Britton, or Jake Arrieta would need to be included. Tillman, while still young, has been a bust in the majors so far. His reputed plus fastball, has clocked in around 90-91 in his stints with the Orioles.

Matusz is solid, Arrieta looked like he belonged in his 18 ML starts last year. Britton is coming through the ranks like high speed train funds leaving Wisconsin. He's probably the best of the bunch and should be ready by mid summer, if not before.

Since the Yankees have now struck out on Lee and Crawford, anyone thinking they may want to make a splash and add Fielder's bat to DH and counter the Gonzalez deal? Don't know their minor league pitching situation but would a deal of Gardner, Joba, something else be worth investigating for the Brewers? The Yanks hold onto Montero for a trade for a SP like Greinke. I love Gardner and seeing him CF wouldn't be bad and would give us a leadoff hitter. Trade Cain in a deal for Garza/Shields and we could look like:

CF Gardner

RF Hart

2B Weeks

LF Braun

3B McGehee

1B Gamel

C Lucroy

SS Escobar

SP: Gallardo, Garza/Shields, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson

the Rangers minor league system is LOADED so they could offer a nice package for Prince (or Grienke)....but they're short of cash based on putting Michael Young on the trade block while they were negoatiating with Lee....

IMHO a Prince deal would have to include Young before the Rangers would approve a deal....not necessarily a bad thing

I'm almost positive the Rangers wouldn't be willing to include enough, prospect-wise, to make up for Young's ugly contract ('11-'13: $16M). The Brewers have no use for Young & no reason to pay an older player so much money. At best right now, he looks like he could provide production in line with what the Brewers already get from McGehee. The difference is Casey does it on the cheap.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here's another one that really shows off his current physique:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/96/fullj.a6b560e1261770034f9e2afad55b4f8b/a6b560e1261770034f9e2afad55b4f8b-getty-107493138ko023_prince_field.jpg

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Oh, and guess who's in a contract year?!?

Not sure if that should be in blue; but it is not really a fair statement. He's lost weight the last couple of years...I want to say he was at his largest when he used to flop around the bases in 2006 or so and he's definitely trimmed down since then (with some back and forth through the years). I guess one could say that when you are in arbitration, every year is a contract year; but still.

I couldn't care less if he lost weight because he's in a contract year. It becomes more and more likely by the day that Prince Fielder will be our starting first baseman on Opening Day 2011. So if losing weight helps him have a monster year, good for the Brewers.

Hah, gotta love contract season motivation. Lookin' sexy Prince! And how can you not love the MJ t-shirt. Classic.

I'd be in the best shape of my life if I were Prince, too. This is probably the one shot he gets at a mega-deal. Come to think of it, the trip to Japan was a savvy PR move as well.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived