Brewer Fanatic

Team by team analysis of Fielder trade partners

NYChez
Funny that you mention Atlanta. I was just thinking about how they'd be a potential FA suitor for Prince earlier today. I think they'd be able to afford Prince, and obviously he can get his wish of still playing defense by staying in the NL. ATL & CHC are my guesses right now as to where Prince will wind up, I think.

EDIT: But I guess you can't rule out WAS, BAL, or anyone else with money to spend & no long-term 1B/DH

ATL doesn't make sense. They already have their 1B of the future in Freeman and he will be their everyday 1B starting in 2011.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the frontrunner has to be BAL. It seems like McPhail has missed out on every single marquee free agent they've attempted to sign in the last couple years. I could see them throwing a ridiculous contract at Prince (which is what it would take for Boras to ok it) just to get that premier player in the fold. Plus they have a bunch of young arms that could work in a trade. I could see BAL throwing 7/175 at Prince. I know they made an aggressive offer for Texeira 2 years ago and also missed out on Victor Martinez so clearly they have money to spend.

My only question is if you were Doug Melvin fighting for your job why would you do it? Long term it would definitely be in the best interest of the club, but winning in 2011...I don't think so. I guess he could make the trade and then make a play for DLee. But going "hard" after Pavano makes me think that DM is desperate.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The thing about Baltimore that makes sense is that Fielder could eventually shift to DH, thus making a long term deal less of an issue for them. And considering how bad Baltimore was in hitting - they could really use Fielder.

Who could we get from Baltimore? Guthrie isn't bad. Not great, but not bad. I think he has two years of control left.

The thing about Baltimore that makes sense is that Fielder could eventually shift to DH, thus making a long term deal less of an issue for them. And considering how bad Baltimore was in hitting - they could really use Fielder.

Who could we get from Baltimore? Guthrie isn't bad. Not great, but not bad. I think he has two years of control left.

Guthrie has been remarkably consistent (3 consecutive seasons over 200 IP, 110-120 k's (about 5 per 9 IP), solid WHIP), but it's a tough sell to make a 31 year old the centerpiece of a Fielder trade. I can't imagine that Baltimore would trade 5 years of Matusz (175.2 IP, 4.30 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 7.3 Ks/9IP...and he's a 23 year old lefty!) for what could turn out to be a 1 year rental of Fielder. Jacob Arrieta did not have as remarkable a rookie season (100 IP in 18 MLB starts, 4.66 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 4.66 K/9, will be 25 by Opening Day), which at least opens the door to his being available.

(Edit: Just noticed that the Brewers actually drafted Arrieta in the 26th round back in 2005, after 1 year at Weatherford College, before he transferred to TCU. He was drafted by the Orioles in the 5th round in 2007. That probably explains why I recognized the name.)

I can't imagine that Baltimore would trade 5 years of Matusz (175.2 IP, 4.30 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 7.3 Ks/9IP...and he's a 23 year old lefty!) for what could turn out to be a 1 year rental of Fielder.
Matusz should not be considered untouchable if Fielder were to be extended by the Orioles prior to the deal being finalized

I would love to see a swap of....

Britton, Tillman, & Snyder for Fielder & Parra.

SP - Yo/Marcum/Wolf/Tillman/Narveson

BP - Axford/Braddock/Jeffress/Loe/Cappy/Hawkins/Mclendon

Lineup - Weeks/Hart/Braun/McGehee/Gamel/Cain/Lucroy/Escobar/Pitcher (my only worry is that we only have 1 Lefty in the lineup)

You have a AAA rotation of - Britton/Rogers/Rivas/Butler/Peralta?

I like the sound of that for 2010 and the beyond.

I'd be fine with Fielder for Britton straight up. The rotation could start to get really good in 2012, and it could continue to be really good if they can extend Marcum. On top of Gallardo, Marcum, and Wolf, you have Rogers, Rivas, and Britton as options with Heckathorn, Peralta, Odorizzi, and Scarpetta not far behind.

Matusz to the Orioles is like Gallardo to the Brewers. I don't think he's going anywhere, even if Fielder is involved and open to an extension.

I like Britton, but the guy hasn't thrown a single pitch in the big-leagues. Trading him for Fielder straight-up would be a bad idea IMO. I have agreed that the Orioles make sense for Fielder, who are in need of some bigger bats and seem to think they're ready to compete in the AL East.

Matusz to the Orioles is like Gallardo to the Brewers. I don't think he's going anywhere, even if Fielder is involved and open to an extension.

True but given their situation and the little I know about their farm system, it seems they have more pitching prospects than hitting prospects. I would think they may be open to this if it meant getting a re-signed 40-50HR hitter like Fielder. Reversing the situation, if the Brewers had 22 year old Prince Fielder coming up now with this team and the Orioles had a true ace in a contract year, I wouldn't think we would flinch at making the deal. Think CC-LaPorta.

JS Blog:

“I don’t feel any different today about Prince than I did coming here," added Melvin. "He’s a good, talented player. I expect Prince to play at a high level if he’s with us.

In Melvin's tenure here, I truly don't remember him ever saying something with the "if he's still with the team" caveat before.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/111562474.html

I really like that "caveat" being added. For some, opening day gets their blood pumping...but for me, seeing all of the player movement is the BEST CRACK AVAILABLE! C'mon Dougie, get him out of here!!!
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Yeah the more I hear about Fielder(and Boras) and their lack of willingness to talk contract or their unrealistic salary demands, the more I just want Fielder traded to be done with all of this. I am so sick and tired of hearing about it, that I just want a resolution one way or another. Heck trade Fielder for hitting prospects and then continue looking for a SP to trade for.

Don't get me wrong, I love Prince Fielder, he's my favorite Brewer, but I want him gone now. I am just sick of hearing all of the rumors, and the last thing I want is to hear the unknowledgeable fans next year talking about keeping him here. It's not gonna happen, and I really don't wanna hear all of the ignorant fans thinking it will just because he's here on opening day.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Another value to dealing prince now and letting a team have a negotiating window is that it locks Prince into that team for the next 7-8 years (or however long the contract). This is good because after next season, one of the primary teams that would be interested in him would be the Cubs. Sorry, but I'd just hate to see Prince as a Cub. Get him to Baltimore or Washington or wherever - just not in Chicago (or St. Louis - which I don't see happening since I feel that Pujols will eventually sign a new contract).

The line before what Peavey quoted really made me smirk:

“We’ve gone well beyond starting the process,” said general manager Doug Melvin, a bit incredulous that Boras would suggest the time hadn't come to discuss such things.

Just shows again how full of it Scott Boras is.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If we could get something like

Tillman & Scott

for

Fielder & Parra

Then see if you can get a #3/4 pitcher for McGehee & Narveson say..

McGehee & Narveson

for

Nolasco

Our lineup and rotation looks pretty nice for next year and beyond.

SP : Yo/Marcum/Nolasco/Wolf/Tillman

Lineup:

Weeks - 2B

Gamel - 3B

Braun - LF

Hart - RF

Scott - 1B

Cain - CF

Lucroy - C

Escobar - SS

Pitcher

Gosh I love building pretend teams to get myself excited for the new season. Gotta love when it's snowing and we get to talk baseball!

I'm at this point now where I really want to move him. I'm not saying we should take a horrific deal to trade him away, but if it's a fair offer, think long and hard about it.

The 2 picks by letting him walk would be okay, but waiting for them might take us out of our next window so I'm not high on that option. Worst comes to worst however, you get crappy offers, and we go for it in 2011.

Baltimore seems to be the new "hot" player in this...even though "hot" is slightly warmer than room temperature.

I am in favor of dealing Prince for prospects if we can use ours for Garza or Greinke. I have no problem rolling the dice a bit with prospects for an established pitcher...so many prospects flame out...trade for young players when possible.

Archived