Brewer Fanatic

Team by team analysis of Fielder trade partners

NYChez

This article says the Dodgers are talking to the Brewers about Fielder: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5892211

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Los Angeles Dodgers are actively involved in discussions on a possible three-player deal with the Milwaukee Brewers that would bring slugging first baseman Prince Fielder to Los Angeles in exchange for Dodgers first baseman James Loney and embattled closer Jonathan Broxton, according to multiple sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Broxton and Loney? Yuck. I would hope we'd get much more than that to swing a deal.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Loney would come in and produce pretty close to his career road OPS (.854), and Broxton would be an expensive but powerful addition to the 'pen. Loney has two more seasons of team salary control, Broxton is in his final season of team control. At this point, I don't think the Brewers would do better in dealing Prince. Whether they should take this deal or not, I'm not sure.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Los Angeles Dodgers are actively involved in discussions on a possible three-player deal with the Milwaukee Brewers that would bring slugging first baseman Prince Fielder to Los Angeles in exchange for Dodgers first baseman James Loney and embattled closer Jonathan Broxton, according to multiple sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

If this trade is made I would go on a baby-punching rampage, figuratively speaking. Broxton and Loney for Fielder does nothing for the Brewers long-term in my opinion. If the Dodgers want to get serious about Fielder they can start with either one of these deals:

*Loney and Billingsley for Fielder and Parra

Assuming another deal for a SP isn't completed, if Fielder is dealt it must be for a SP. Billingsley is worth a Fielder from the Dodgers perspective. He's the consistent hitter they lack other than Ethier.

*Kemp and Loney for Fielder and McGehee

Like I said in the Cain trade thread, if the Brewers swing an additional deal like Cain+ for a Garza/Jurrjens-esque SP, then Fielder can be dealt for hitters. Gamel at 3B and Loney at 1B with Kemp in CF. This is my preferred deal.

I like the idea of Loney in Milwaukee but only at the right price.

To trade essentially trade Fielder for another player with just one year left on his contract would just be counterproductive.

Melvin's in a bit of panic mode right now, I fear. I'm afraid he's not even willing to accept prospects that won't help this season in return for Prince.

Im thinking Melvin found out that he could get a nice starting pitcher like Matt Garza or Jair Jurrjens for Lorenzo Cain plus Axford or Jeffress and he plans on using the Fielder trade to fill our hole at closer and 1st base.

The Rays are looking for cheap help at 1st, DH, OF and all over the bullpen and with Broxton as our new closer we could match up very well.

Would a Lorenzo Cain, Mat Gamel, John Axford for BJ Upton and Matt Garza make sense with Broxton and Loney already on the team?

@WiscoSportsNut

How dumb would it be for Melvin, having just dealt part of his future to get a solid major league starter presumably so they can contend in 2011, to turn around and downgrade dramatically at 1B so they can add a 2nd closer?

I'm with WTP, Billingsley and Loney for Fielder and Parra would make sense.

I seriously doubt Melvin would agree to Loney+Broxton for Prince(+ comp. picks). Let's keep in mind that this is only a rumor at this point.
My thoughts exactly. And then I check MLBTR again and....

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti shot down the Fielder-Loney-Broxton rumor, according to Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

It is not uncommon for a team to leak potential trades that will not happen in order to stimulate other offers. Another G.M. can see the Brewers have just made a trade (Marcum) and are looking to make another one (Fielder), but in order to get him he has to do better than the Loney/Broxton offer. It's the way the dance is done.

Haudricourt doesn't think this makes sense, either, which the cynic in me would say means it's a really bad offer. He thinks Loney and Billingsley would make more sense, and I would agree...I just don't think LA would (or should) do that deal. But it is Ned Colletti.

Edit: And Haudricourt tweets that none of this is true.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Im thinking Melvin found out that he could get a nice starting pitcher like Matt Garza or Jair Jurrjens for Lorenzo Cain plus Axford or Jeffress and he plans on using the Fielder trade to fill our hole at closer and 1st base.

The Rays are looking for cheap help at 1st, DH, OF and all over the bullpen and with Broxton as our new closer we could match up very well.

Would a Lorenzo Cain, Mat Gamel, John Axford for BJ Upton and Matt Garza make sense with Broxton and Loney already on the team?

If the Rays do Cain/Gamel/+ for Upton and Garza, I immediately call the Dodgers and say Fielder/Parra for Billingsley/Loney. Will they take that?

Good God though...imagine that SP:

Gallardo

Marcum

Garza

Billingsley

Wolf

EDIT: Oops. Walked away from the computer. Didn't see the new link. Quick newsday!

Good God, Harold Reynolds who I normally like, said about this potential deal that "the Brewers need a closer." Hey idiot, they have John Axford!

I would be royally ticked if the Brewers took Loney and Broxton for Fielder. I would rather keep Prince and collect the draft picks. If Billingsley got involved I would be a little intrigued.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Ken Rosenthal is on MLB Network STILL rabbiting on about how Broxton/Loney for Fielder "matches up". Has he ever even looked at a Brewers box score, let alone seen them play? All of their analysts also seem to think the Brewers need a closer. What a joke. These people claim to be experts and are truly clueless.

I just saw that on MLB Network, too. They don't follow the Brewers and don't realize we have a closer. There is no point in downgrading our 1B and taking on a closer that is probably getting expensive. I don't know Broxton's contract sitch but I know he's making more than Axford at this point. This trade makes no sense for the Crew.

Archived