Brewer Fanatic

Will Capuano be brought back?

BREWCREW5
I think Capuano needs to be offered a 1 year deal with an option. He's better--when healthy--than most of the available free agent pitchers AND he enjoys the Brewers. We've heard Melvin repeatedly mention that most players don't want to come to Milwaukee and have the Brewers in their no trade clauses, so I'm sure it's the same lack of interest most free agents have as well.

The guys in Capuano's price range don't really have the luxury of turning down too many offers. There's no reason to rush out and sign Capuano just because you think you can't get anyone else. Let's not forget he's 32, still an injury risk and they have two other lefties in their rotation. I'd wait at least until the non-tender date and it's clear who is available and what the needs are at that time Nobody else is going to beating down Capuano's door early on. I'm not sure a string of 5 quality starts in September 2010 makes him the same pitcher he was in 2006, capable of giving you 190-200 innings. Maybe, but who knows? I tend to doubt it myself.

I think it is safe to say there are no guarantees. Mark Rogers could have more arm problems. Jeffress could have another positive drug test. Sharpie looked OK when he was signed, then his heart flared up, followed by tendonitis - and a couple years back, there was a fight with cancer (Who'd have seen THAT coming?). Gallardo had that collision in 2008 that knocked him out for most of the season.

Jeffress could have another positive drug test.

Jeffress is no longer subject to tests for recreational drugs.

I think the number is something like 8 starters a year. I will have to double check. I will probably do that this weekend sometime when I do the quintiles again.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived