Brewer Fanatic

Will Capuano be brought back?

BREWCREW5

I honestly don't know. Cappy has certainly earned a spot on a big league roster with his performance since he returned, but I'm not sure if he's going to get a spot on our big league roster. He'd be nice in our rotation, but I'm thinking that DM will be trying to give our younger guys (Rogers, Jeffress) spots in the rotation over a guy like Cappy. (That's also why I think that Dave Bush won't be back)

Capuano will be in someone's rotation next year. I'd love to have him back. It's truly amazing that he's been able to come back from a second Tommy John surgery. His velocity is right back to where it was a few years ago.

The only guys as see as locks for next years rotation are Gallardo and Wolf. Narveson is a fine 4/5 starter, but if we can make an upgrade there we've got to. We've got two rotation spots to fill for sure. One I'd like to be Capuano; the other I'd like to be some acquisition. The young guys will get their shot eventually. Rogers needs to work on going deeper into games, and Jeffress needs to get back to starting in the minors.

He should be brought back as the #5 pitcher for sure. My guess is that he won't cost an arm and a leg and will be amenable to returning. The guy knows how to pitch, and his stuff is almost the same as it was pre-injury. In many ways, he is the antithesis of Parra, and that's a good thing.

I'd give him a contract and give him the opportunity to win the 5th spot in the rotation. Jeffress definitely needs at least another half season in the minors, probably more if he is going to start. I'm also not confident that Rogers should be given a spot in the rotation yet.

I think there is a chance. But I would keep Narveson over over Capuano if it came down to those two. I think Parra is going to be in the bullpen, so he won't be an issue for a starting spot.
I agree. Narveson at least has a bit of upside yet. Capuano would be a serviceable #5 type, but that's about it.

I don't think Parra is even a factor in the rotation discussion anymore. I think the Brewers probably feel he's been given enough chances.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Really depends on what he is asking for. If he wants a guarantee that he gets to start and he wants a decent sized contract then I probably wouldn't. I just don't trust him to stay healthy all year. If he is willing to start the year in a long relief role and be the 6th starter to fill in once someone goes down or stinks, then I'd sign him in a second.

Manny Parra has been lights out in the bullpen. I think the Brewers have found a good spot for him there unless he gets traded to be in some other teams rotation. Hard to imagine Parra having any trade value right now.. As for Cappy, I think he wants to start and be given a fair chance. I doubt that is with the Brewers. I think that Gallardo and Wolf are the only ones guaranteed a spot in the rotation. The Brewers will probably leave room for Rogers at some point next season. That leaves 2 spots to fill. The Brewers have plenty of money and trade chips to fill those two spots with some good new pitchers.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I agree that Gallardo and Wolf are the only locks for the rotation in 2011. Most teams, however, will use a minimum of eight starting pitchers over the course of a season. I think you have to bring some combination of Narveson, Capuano, and Parra back to at least compete for spots 5 through 8 in spring training. In 2009, our lack of quality and depth in the rotation hurt us pretty bad. Braden Looper took the ball every five days and our top replacement was Mike Burns. We had more options for the rotation in 2010, but the team had to replace three out of five spots due to injuries or ineffectiveness. The team would have been a major disaster if Wolf didn't turn things around and Narveson and Capuano wouldn't have been in the bullpen or at Nashville. There is going to be some obvious changes in the starting five out of spring training, but we have to look beyond the first five names over the course of 162 games.

I think Ennder nailed it as to Capuano, and PrinceFielderx1 nailed it as to Parra. I also think, partially because of those two other things, that Narveson is a lock to stick around. He's a cheap, serviceable botttom-of-the-rotation guy who has at least a small chance of getting better. I think even if we keep Capuano, we're looking for two starters. Rogers could be one, but he's going to put an awful strain on the pen if he keeps walking guys. I think Parra is done as a starter, at least until he does that thing lefties do where somebody puts him in the rotation out of desperation when he's 30 and he magically puts it all together.

They'll have Rogers, Rivas, Jeffress, Butler, and maybe Peralta at AAA next year, so I don't think they need to have 8 veterans competing for 5 spots. This is the first time in a long, long time if not ever that they will have multiple legitimate pitching prospects at AAA next year that they can call up if there is injury/ineffectiveness. The reason they had to call on Mike Burns is because they had no pitching prospects in the upper levels of the system.

I wouldn't argue with bringing Cappy back at all. If I had to choose between him and Narveson I'd go Narveson. I really think they only need to bring in one starter (a legitimate #2) and can go with Gallardo, #2 starter, Wolf, Narveson, Capuano with Rogers, Rivas, Jeffress, Peralta, and Butler providing the depth in case of injury/ineffectiveness (plus Heckathorn, Scarpetta, Merklinger, Fiers, and Lamontagne at AA if they need a spot start). And I wouldn't be surprised to see Rogers get the #5 spot - they can limit his innings by skipping his turn when they have off days.

I suspect Gallardo, Wolf, Narveson are locks heading into 2011 barring injury. I would assume one veteran who'd also be a lock will be acquired either via trade or FA. I think they'll bring in another guy or two to compete with Rogers for the 5th spot. Capuano could be in that mix, but not necessarily. They may want to look at other guys. I think they'd like Rogers to be holding down that spot no later than June though so whoever they bring in to compete for the 5th spot, has to be cheap/and or able to be moved to the pen to allow them flexibility.

If Parra returns, it'll be in the pen. They've learned their lesson.

One more think. It would not shock me if Hawkins is healthy enough, that they'd have Loe in the mix as a 5th starter. They would know that when Rogers was ready, they could always move Loe back to the pen.

They'll have Rogers, Rivas, Jeffress, Butler, and maybe Peralta at AAA next year, so I don't think they need to have 8 veterans competing for 5 spots. This is the first time in a long, long time if not ever that they will have multiple legitimate pitching prospects at AAA next year that they can call up if there is injury/ineffectiveness. The reason they had to call on Mike Burns is because they had no pitching prospects in the upper levels of the system.

I wouldn't argue with bringing Cappy back at all. If I had to choose between him and Narveson I'd go Narveson. I really think they only need to bring in one starter (a legitimate #2) and can go with Gallardo, #2 starter, Wolf, Narveson, Capuano with Rogers, Rivas, Jeffress, Peralta, and Butler providing the depth in case of injury/ineffectiveness (plus Heckathorn, Scarpetta, Merklinger, Fiers, and Lamontagne at AA if they need a spot start). And I wouldn't be surprised to see Rogers get the #5 spot - they can limit his innings by skipping his turn when they have off days.

Fantastic LouisEly, could not have said it better. This would be an ideal situation for the Brewers. It is quite exciting that they actually have good young pitching depth at Nashville for a change. And because of that it is not worth bringing in a bunch of vets for depth. If they can get a legit #2 in a Fielder trade to go with the guys have currently have I think the staff you mentioned above would be good enough to contend with the offense the Brewers have.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think Capuano needs to be offered a 1 year deal with an option. He's better--when healthy--than most of the available free agent pitchers AND he enjoys the Brewers. We've heard Melvin repeatedly mention that most players don't want to come to Milwaukee and have the Brewers in their no trade clauses, so I'm sure it's the same lack of interest most free agents have as well.

His 2010 numbers were around his career averages. That in its own right is amazing after making a comeback from a second Tommy John surgery. I don't know what he made this year...league minimum? In '07 and '08 he made about $3.75 million each year before the second surgery. I'd love to have him around next year, but what is his market value? His numbers suggest he's a solid 3 starter. Don't laugh, but take a look at his career numbers, including this year, and convince me otherwise. I'd like to think he's worth at least a 1 year $2 million deal with a club option.

I guess if he's willing to sign a one year deal for around no more than $3 million (maybe with a second year club option), it's worth doing. I just don't want them to go overboard and then see him likely regress. Have to remember that he's already 32.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's a good point about Capuano wanting to be here when many free agents would rather not be. The Brewers should make him an offer before the free agent filing period and get him signed up ASAP. The Brewers are not in a position to turn down cheap, potentially effective pitching.
At this point, I'd give Capuano a two-year, $3.75 million deal, club option for a third year.

No guarantees with regards for the rotation. who would have predicted Sharpie's heart inflammation this past spring?

I think Capuano needs to be offered a 1 year deal with an option. He's better--when healthy--than most of the available free agent pitchers AND he enjoys the Brewers. We've heard Melvin repeatedly mention that most players don't want to come to Milwaukee and have the Brewers in their no trade clauses, so I'm sure it's the same lack of interest most free agents have as well.

The guys in Capuano's price range don't really have the luxury of turning down too many offers. There's no reason to rush out and sign Capuano just because you think you can't get anyone else. Let's not forget he's 32, still an injury risk and they have two other lefties in their rotation. I'd wait at least until the non-tender date and it's clear who is available and what the needs are at that time Nobody else is going to beating down Capuano's door early on. I'm not sure a string of 5 quality starts in September 2010 makes him the same pitcher he was in 2006, capable of giving you 190-200 innings. Maybe, but who knows? I tend to doubt it myself.

I'm curious, jb, how does your mind work with small sample sizes? Daniel Hudson pitches an incredible 79 IP with Arizona, and the Brewers should kick themselves for not trading Fielder for him. Capuano throws a respectable 66 IP for the Brewers and we shouldn't make an offer for him right now? Where is your line?

I remember a year or two early in the Dale-Murphy-MVP-era '80s when the Braves had not just no lefties in the rotation, but none on the staff at all. They weren't a great team but they weren't chopped liver.

In other words, I agree w/ DHonks: We just need good pitchers, period. If they do well enough at getting guys out, it shouldn't matter the hand with which they throw.

Archived