Brewer Fanatic

Who is the Brewer's MVP?

bork
I have to agree with JB on this one. I would give it to Axford. Im curious to see where he will end up in the ROY voting.
Probably not even in the top 10. He's flown way under the radar this season.

I would give it to Corey Hart. He was the linchpin of the offense for much of the season while Braun and Fielder struggled for periods of time. I'd have a hard time giving it to Axford since he wasn't the closer the whole year. I'm not trying to undersell what Axford has accomplished this year; I just think Hart made a bigger impact.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm going to go with Gallardo. Even with him the rotation was pretty painful to watch at times; without him it would have been completely in shambles. His .254/.329/.508/.837 line only added to his value this season.

Weeks had an exceptional season, but I just gotta go with Yo.

As for Axford, he had a great season, but I just can't justify naming a guy who threw only 57 innings (albeit 57 extremely important innings) as the most valuable player.

For my top 5, I've got:

1) Gallardo

2) Weeks

3) Fielder

4) Braun

5) Axford

I'd have to give the edge to Hart for his overall body of work. I know that you shouldn't consider past performance, but considering the concerns about him during spring training and the contacts issue... Hart gets the slight edge. Fielder is underappreciated; tough righties pitched around him and stymied the rest of the offense - some may be surprised that Fielder led the league in walks this year, even more than POO-holes. I'd go a 3-way tie for 2nd with Fielder, Weeks, and McGehee.

Sorry, but Axford is the clear winner for most valuable pitcher. He gave the team confidence in the back end of the bullpen, and regularly went more than an inning to close out games. Not only were there the saves, but he also got the victory in 8 others. For those of you who think it should be Gallardo, match each Brewers starter with their 2nd-half performance (no peeking!):

A) 3.70 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 6.6 IP/start

B) 3.89 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 5.8 IP/start

C) 3.88 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 5.7 IP/start

D) 5.03 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 5.6 IP/start

E) 5.77 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 5.6 IP/start

If you said A = Wolf, B = Narveson, C= Capuano, D = Bush, and E = Gallardo, you are correct! Gallardo finished with almost a 4.00 ERA, and had the worst 2nd half ERA of any starter on the team. The only reason he hasn't been called out for his 2nd half performance is because the Brewers were already out of it when his performance went south. His performance was on par with Bush for the 2nd half of the season, and people want to run Bush out of town. Gallardo just didn't have a great year. People are living off of his first half performance, but haven't been watching the last two months.

Sorry, but Axford is the clear winner for most valuable pitcher.

No, he's not. It's "most valuable", not "most effective". Yo's 185 IP trump, dwarf, and otherwise overshadow Axford's ~58. And I love Axford.

Gallardo just didn't have a great year. People are living off of his

first half performance, but haven't been watching the last two months.

And you're completely discounting an entire half of a season, which doesn't work at all. A season is 162 games long, not whatever sample size you find most convincing.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And neither are going to come anywhere close to winning it this year.

That's true, but the guy who is gonna win it in the AL looked like this, 8.36/2.52/0.61. I'd say when your FIP compares favorably with a CY winner that you are definitely a candidate for a team MVP.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It really isn't possible for a team to have no MVP. Even the worst team ever has an MVP. Some guy has got to be more valuable than the others on a subjective basis. Just thought that "there was no MVP this year" was a funny comment.

Take a look at all the discussion in this thread... There is no clear obvious choice. Weeks seems to have the most votes, but really, there are 4-5 guys that would be neck and neck as MVP. And a few more in a realistic discussion for MVP.

So if I see it as five players were of equal value at the top of the list this year, how do I pick one? Hence, no MVP, but MVPs if you want to be technical...

At that point, its almost like saying you are unique... just like everyone else.

Take a look at all the discussion in this thread... There is no clear obvious choice. Weeks seems to have the most votes, but really, there are 4-5 guys that would be neck and neck as MVP. And a few more in a realistic discussion for MVP.

If you examine it objectively, Weeks is the obvious choice as MVP -- he's that runaway candidate this season on the Brewers. Imo some subjectivity comes into a selection of Yo, but I can totally relate to it since the other starting pitching was so poor in comparison.

If you only examine offense, and don't factor in defensive position or defensive performance, then yes there are 4 or 5 guys to choose from.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just for the sake of argument:

Weeks: .269/.366/.464, 29 HR, 83 RBI.

Hart: .283/.340/.525, 31 HR, 102 RBI.

Not sure if I think it's so clear cut. I think both played comparable defense for their positions. Maybe you can argue Weeks was a bit better, but I don't think it's cut and dry.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

fangraph's player values this year from the top 8 unless i missed someone... (in millions obv):

Weeks $24.2

Hart $13.8

Fielder $16.7

Braun $17.0

McGehee $14.6

Gallardo $18.5

Narveson $6.6

Axford $8.1

Samples plucked from random points in the season are meaningless as every game matters exactly the same amount... it's clearly Weeks.

Archived