Brewer Fanatic

One 15 game winner in 17 years

bork

So with Gallardo's poor last outing, this ensures that Capuano remains the Brewers lone 15 game winner over the last 17 years. That surprised me, when I saw that. But I guess it shouldn't be suprising, since they've only had 2 winning season during that stretch.

For comparision, 17 Brewers won 15 or more games in 17 years before that (77-93).

The lack of starting pitching pretty much sums up why the Brewers have been so bad during that stretch.

I know that most devalue the individual win these days, but at any rate that is truly one pathetic stat.

Agreed. I did a search on BREF -- there have been 412 non-unique pitchers who have accumulated 15 or more wins in a season in the last 17 years....

The Pirates have only had one as well. Any guesses as to who that was? (without looking of course/)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Pirates have only had one as well. Any guesses as to who that was? (without looking of course/)

It had to be back when the BBs were still in Pittsburg. This one is probably more than 17 years, but I'm going to guess Oil Can Boyd. I seem to remember him having some half-wise decent years at the end of his career, but I don't remember if that was with Pitt or not.

edit - Ok, I looked and was way off on both counts. Can't tell you why I had Boyd with the Pirates... for some reason, I have a picture of him in my head with the old flat-sided P hats on... But Pitt did have quite a few pitchers hit 15+ wins in a season with B-Bonds and B-Bonilla on the team. Its just more than 17 years ago...

I know that most devalue the individual win these days, but at any rate that is truly one pathetic stat.

Agreed. I did a search on BREF -- there have been 412 non-unique pitchers who have accumulated 15 or more wins in a season in the last 17 years....

Without looking, Oliver Perez in 2004? He was awesome, but my gut tells me he went something like 14-12.

Edit: Yup, 12-10 in 30 starts with a 2.98 ERA.

no one has guessed yet...

HINT: He played for the Brewers.

My guess was going to be Denny Neagle, but based on that hint, I'll say Paul Wagner.

EDIT: Not even close on Wagner, but Neagle did win 16 the year he was traded (14-6 with Pit, 2-3 with Atl). I've been forced to look it up, and I never would have guessed him.

Victor Santos? Other that Suppan, he's the only other former Brewer/Pirate starter I could think of that hasn't been listed.

Edit: Yeah, I was throwing darts blindfolded...not even close. I'm so far off, it's laughable. I am ashamed. I didn't even remember the person who is the answer pitching for the Brewers.

Archived