Brewer Fanatic

Will Gomez be back next year?

Crash2303

I agree with trwi7. Gomez really needs a wake-up call imo. He's shown no change in approach, or really that he thinks he has to improve all that much to deserve a starting job.

I wonder what X ellence's thoughts on this will be http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I sure hope so. He reminds me of Rickie Weeks. I feel like this is 2004 and everyone is calling for his head because he "just doesnt have it" and he's "undisciplined". There is just too much potential there to not give him a try. I think without question, on Gomez's good games he is as exciting as a player in the MLB as there is. And honestly how much better is Chris Dickerson? Not much, I dont think. Maybe he is more MLB ready but I think we're already looking at his ceiling.

He has two options actually, and Doug loves him as much as I do. With Cain being unproven and certainly not above slumping, not to mention with similar stats, I think Carlos returns.

I think he'll make it too. He's below average offensively, but so fast and solid in CF, he's still valuable.

He reminds me of Rickie Weeks. I feel like this is 2004 and everyone is calling for his head because he "just doesnt have it" and he's "undisciplined".

Rickie could always take a walk. I'm not sure Gomez knows what those are.

Weeks in 2004 was dealing with a mjor injury. Gomez has no clue what he is doing. They are not similar. Gomez should be in AAA to see if he can get anything together.

And I'm not sure in what universe Cain and Gomez had similar numbers. OK both had a WAR of 0.8; one achieved that in 37 games, the other in 93.

Cain is clearly the all around better player at this point. Maybe it's simply due to having put in more time at AAA. Gomez barely had any time there and was rushed to the majors.

Gomez was recently quoted as saying he understood he has to put in extra work to become an everyday player again. I think he's going to play winter ball, if I'm not mistaken. So I think it's unfair to say he "doesn't have a clue."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Weeks in 2004 was dealing with a mjor injury. Gomez has no clue what he is doing. They are not similar. Gomez should be in AAA to see if he can get anything together.

And I'm not sure in what universe Cain and Gomez had similar numbers. OK both had a WAR of 0.8; one achieved that in 37 games, the other in 93.

If I'm not mistaken, 2004 was Weeks' first full year in the minors (Huntsville). Maybe cadillacjosh was thinking 2007 or 2008.

If I'm not mistaken, 2004 was Weeks' first full year in the minors (Huntsville). Maybe cadillacjosh was thinking 2007 or 2008.

I was thinking 2005, where Weeks destroyed AAA then came up in June and held his own until he got injured and they kept pushing him out there. His OPS by month: .785, .784, .716, .641

2005 was the year I meant. But Gobias you raise a good point, '07/'08 were both good examples. Weeks was not playing well at all and everyone wanted him gone. He needed the chance to play everyday and has grown into an awesome hitter. I think Gomez needs a real chance at an everyday starting job. It might even take 2 years before he actually responds in the right way. It'll probably be painful to sit through but his ceiling is just too high. Hopefully in 2 years we have a "We should extend Gomez" topic and I can write "told ya so" all over it, haha http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

2005 was the year I meant. But Gobias you raise a good point, '07/'08 were both good examples. Weeks was not playing well at all and everyone wanted him gone.
In 2007, Weeks posted an .807 OPS. Gomez has never posted an OPS that high anywhere. In 2008 he posted a .740 OPS Gomez has only beaten that twice. In the Appy League with a .760 OPS in 150 at bats and in the PCL with a .777 OPS in 140 at bats.

I always thought having Weeks play thru that thumb injury in 2005 was idiotic. Completely killed his stats.

Edit: As twri said, Weeks' 2007 was actually really strong. I think he wound up with a 140 pt split from his BA to OBP. Not being 100% affected his swing and he was terrible in June and July, but after coming back from AAA he was one of the best hitters in baseball.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
2005 was the year I meant. But Gobias you raise a good point, '07/'08 were both good examples. Weeks was not playing well at all and everyone wanted him gone. He needed the chance to play everyday and has grown into an awesome hitter. I think Gomez needs a real chance at an everyday starting job. It might even take 2 years before he actually responds in the right way. It'll probably be painful to sit through but his ceiling is just too high. Hopefully in 2 years we have a "We should extend Gomez" topic and I can write "told ya so" all over it, haha http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

The Brewers are (hopefully) not in a position where they can give a guy 2 years to learn on the job while struggling to maintain a .280 OBP.

Gomez HAS to understand that the length of his baseball career at this point is directly tied to his ability to draw a walk once in a while and make himself a useful offensive player. I would certainly hope that before 2 more years are up, someone would be able to quantifiably identify that he either is or isn't going in the right direction.

Right now, I'd say he's not.

I agree with trwi7. Gomez really needs a wake-up call imo. He's shown no change in approach, or really that he thinks he has to improve all that much to deserve a starting job.

I wonder what X ellence's thoughts on this will be http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Since September 1, he's hit .382/.400/.441 How is that not a change? I doubt he ever becomes a guy who takes a lot of walks. But he's getting some bunt hits, legging out some squib hits and occasionally squaring one up and as usual causing some havoc on the bases. If he just matched his .289/.337/.361 since the All Star game for a full season, he'd be valuable. There's an old saying that latin players from Caribbean countries learn early that you don't walk yourself off the island. So most are free swingers.

Brewers are in a good position. They have 2 young fleet center fielders. Let them compete.

His great month is all about that batting average. He's still not walking, and he's hitting for less power than usual. He isn't going to hit .380 beating out grounders. For that matter, he isn't going to hit .280 beating out grounders. Those numbers scream "fluke," and if anything they're bad news for his development, if they convince him that he doesn't need to change his game. Also, I agree that his defense makes him valuable if he puts up a .698 OPS, but only as a fourth OF, preferably on a team that doesn't need an extra increment of power off the bench.

All of that said, I'm still holding onto hope for Gomez. He already does two useful things well (defend and run), and his bat could come around. His record gives little reason for optimism, but sometimes tools guys figure things out late. I'm just glad we don't have to count on it. (I'm a guy who believed in Brent Brewer as a prospect.) The potential Gomez / Katin battle for the last OF spot could be one of next spring's most interesting stories.

Archived