Brewer Fanatic

reliever trade assests

Crash2303

Going into the offseason, we'll have a surplus of quality relievers. There should be at least 2 or 3 guys who don't make the team next year who we'll be able to package in a deal. and more once Rogers, Kintzler, Jeffress, and McLendon come up if they start the season in AAA. Of course this all assumes our young relievers keep on the course their on- but if so-

that makes guys like Coffey, Villanueva, and Hawkins expendable.
I also think one of these three guys won't be with us next year- Cain, Gomez, Dickerson.

What do you think we could get for a package of two of those relievers and one of those CFers.
ex.
Coffey, Hawkins, Gomez

if it'd get a good deal done, i'd throw in Narveson and Salome too

Coffey and Villanueva might be non-tendered, Hawkins is coming off shoulder surgery and what ever trade value Gomez had was all but extinguished this year. We would get almost nothing for any of them.

Dickerson is more valuable to us on the field than in a trade. Salome is a free agent that we have yet to re-sign.

If we want to get trade value out of our bullpen, it'll have to be from Axford, Loe or one of the younger guys, and I doubt we'll be trading any of them.

Plenty of teams would trade for Gomez, but his return would be slight, especially in pre-arby talent. Coffey will likely get $2.5M+ in arby, so not many teams would deal for him. CV will probably get half that or a bit more, so he's more likely to be kept. Plus CV has an option, Coffey does not.

I'd like to resign CV and use him in long relief. I have a terrrible, terrible feeling that Rogers and/or Jeffress is going to start the season in the bullpen to "protect" them even though it will mean their innings will actually go down instead of going up. A bullpen of Lowe, CV, Hawkins, Braddock, Stetter, Axford and Kintzler would be ok with me.

I can't see tendering Coffey. Villanueva may fall victim to the latest mantra espoused by Attanasio the other day that this year's team had too many soft tossers, even though Villanueva's issues have less to do with velocity (he's generally between 89-91) but that his fastball is pretty straight and he needs pinpoint command with it to set up his out pitches. His lack of use over the past 3 weeks seems to point in that direction so I think there's a decent chance he'd be included in a deal.

I don't think we'll see Stetter anytime soon. I think Parra or Capuano will be the 2nd lefty in the pen if they are back to start next season though Capuano will be in contention to start too. If both those guys are gone, I think they'll sign one of the many veteran loogy's that are on the market every winter.

I don't have interest in bringing back Coffey and Villanueva. With all the Brewers' young and cheap relievers on hand, there's no reason to spend millions on mediocre veterans in the bullpen. We're going to be stuck with Hawkins due to his contract for next season; but he should be the only veteran they bring back.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived