Brewer Fanatic

Bye Mr. Prince.

iluvlamp
I'm really starting to believe that Fielder isn't going anywhere. The teams that do have legit pitching to move either are set at first base or can't afford to pay him (Tampa), and the teams where he seems to 'fit' don't have anything worthwhile to give up for him (Chicago WS, Detroit). I say that you keep him around. Either he has his patented huge odd-season year, and he can be flipped for something at the deadline (or perhaps help carry the team to the playoffs), or he has another season similar to this one, in which case he may become affordable to re-up. As I've said before, if there isn't a huge trade market for Fielder, why are we assuming that teams will be falling all over themselves to give him $130 million in free agency? If Fielder can't bring a guy who can be a legit #2 starter in 2011 (not 2012 or beyond), I'd rather take the two draft choices. It looks like Melvin is leaning the same way.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another factor in dealing Fielder is that he's the only LH bat in the lineup. Yes, they do have Gamel available, but I think the Brewers are worried that as the only lefty, that RH pitchers will work around him to some extent like they do Fielder and staying patient in that scenario is a lot to ask a rookie, even one with a record of being fairly patient in the minors.

I do think Fielder's asking price had to take a hit off his 2010 season. If he were to repeat those numbers, not only is he not a $20 million a year guy, he's more like a $14-15 million per year guy, especially if there's an Adrian Gonzalez out there in the same market.

I just mentioned this in another thread, but apparently Boras and Fielder are at the GM meetings in Orlando (it's on Twitter now). Definitely interesting.

Very interesting. I believe very strongly that we haven't seen the final offer for Prince Fielder. I mean if the interest isn't there to get a good enough return by trading him then you have two options,

1.) hold onto him and take the picks.

2.) you try hard to re-sign him.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Another factor in dealing Fielder is that he's the only LH bat in the lineup. Yes, they do have Gamel available, but I think the Brewers are worried that as the only lefty, that RH pitchers will work around him to some extent like they do Fielder and staying patient in that scenario is a lot to ask a rookie, even one with a record of being fairly patient in the minors.
Righties may pitch around him, but lets not forget that Gamel has nearly the opposite splits as you would expect from a LHB.

Archived