Brewer Fanatic

Bye Mr. Prince.

iluvlamp

I have always appreciated how hard you worked. I loved the homers. I loved the barreling over catchers. I loved that sly smile when you were being facetious. You never quit. You got mad. You got hit. You shook it off. The first Brewer to hit 50. The first Brewer that made me think we could win since 92. I love ya Mr. Fielder.

I'll miss you big boy.

doug

/very very self indulgent post

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a guy, generously listed at 270 who ran out pretty much every groundball he ever hit. For being a bona fide MLB slugger he really plays more like a career backup in lots of regards.

I only wished I could have seen a huge Brewers/Cubs dustup with Big Z and the Prince at the center of it all.

Best of luck in big market MLB. I hope you get super rich (~100%), win a ring (50/50?), and bring us some high ceiling arms (?????).

I'm dubious as well. Most of the talk about Fielder comes from outside the Brewer organization. Melvin already turned down what I would consider a very generous offer if the Hudson talk was real. If Melvin holds out for a better offer than that, it may never come.

The bottom line is yes, Fielder is available, but he's not on a clearance rack.

I think it behooves the Brewers to not panic about a guy potentially leaving via FA. Two high picks aren't anything to sneeze at for a small market team where growing your own talent is essential. Not all high picks work out obviously, but the more you have, the better your odds. Besides the picks though, the Brewers will free up considerable salary room to add guys from elsewhere.

If we keep Prince I doubt that we will have the pitching next year to contend. By the time his draft picks get to the majors we will be losing the current corps of players. I was in college during the Trebelhorn era. I went to a lot of games during that time (for a college student) and I don't want to go through another extended period of being at the edge of contention/edge of .500. I would like to see us get more immediate returns for Prince and take a chance on legitimately contending for a period of time.

Don't forget Prince could be signed by a team with a protected 1st rounder. I" ll be disappointed if the Brewers let an elite hitter go for what amounts to a couple sandwhich picks.
The odds of that happening a 2nd straight time aren't very high. To base a decision on the minimal possibility of that happening twice in a row isn't very wise.

I hope he is not traded unless it is for a sure shot #2 starter type. Cain and Garza are the only two that come to mind that may actually be available. If Prince can be used as a piece to get Greinke, I'd be for that as well. If that's asking 'too much', then I say keep him at least until next July and see how things play out. I'd rather let him walk than to settle for what amounts to the best offer at a fire sale. I don't get all the second guessing over not doing the Hudson deal. I wouldn't do that deal today, as Hudson reeks of a flash in the pan. He still has the same stuff that he had in the minors, and this is his first time through the league. I'll take Prince's 5 year track record over a dozen or so starts.

There are 15 teams with a protected 1st rounder, IIRC. The Sabathia loss was rare but losing Prince to one of 15 teams isn't that remote.

I misread your post, but the reality is picks in the first couple rounds, whether 1st or 2nd are still premium picks. Gallardo was a second round pick. The point is the more premium picks you have the better your odds of producing good players.

My point is unless Fielder brings a very high quality arm back who's ready right now, dealing him won't improve this teams chances in 2011. Assuming it will is just as big an assumption as saying they can't contend with him next year because they can't improve the pitching enough without trading Fielder. They can improve the pitching without trading Fielder. In fact they did this year, after dumping or shelving the likes of Suppan, Davis, Stetter, Hawkins etc. Most of that improvement came from within. They started out this year with a really bad staff because Melvin made some really bad decisions. Any expectation that he can make a good decision with a deal of Fielder or another method of acquiring pitching is in fact the real issue.

I saw a headline on ESPN.com yesterday, couldn't find it today, that was talking about Jeremy Bonderman figuring on being an Ex-Tiger next year. What about Bonderman and some other prospect for Prince. He's still got some grudges against pops, if I remember correctly, and I'm sure he'd love to top his dad on Tiger leaderboards, if ol' Cecil is on any. Just a thought. However, I did notice there was an insider article about how the Brewers "cope with losing Fielder".

Won't surprise me if Fielder is back to start the season. They could deal Weeks in a package to bring a SP, I know there are serveral teams who would love to have a stick like that playing 2B. Then you add Yo, Wolf, maybe Cappy...catch lightening in a bottle with Rogers and/or Jeffress...who knows maybe they can contend. Not all that different from what happened to the Reds this year.

So unless they get what Melvin considers a "fair" deal for Prince, he may want to make one last run with Prince/Braun/McGehee/Hart/maybe Weeks. If it doesn't work, he can still deal him at the deadline. Melvin's said all along they're not in a hurry to deal him, and I believe him. Let's not forget they have some money to spend as well. So you bring in a new Manager, return your line-up, and cross your fingers on the rotation and who knows?

For whatever it's worth, I was listening to the D-List this afternoon; and they played a short audio interview done with Prince after yesterday's game. Prince specifically mentioned that, "Rickie has to be re-signed". The hosts strongly hinted that re-signing Weeks could make Prince more inclined to stay. Probably just speculation on their part, but I thought it was interesting. Prince also re-iterated that, "Boras works for me."
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

For whatever it's worth, I was listening to the D-List this afternoon; and they played a short audio interview done with Prince after yesterday's game. Prince specifically mentioned that, "Rickie has to be re-signed". The hosts strongly hinted that re-signing Weeks could make Prince more inclined to stay. Probably just speculation on their part, but I thought it was interesting. Prince also re-iterated that, "Boras works for me."
Do you have a link to that interview? I love the "Boras works for me" quote.

Not to get too off topic, BUT.... What could the Brewers realistically offer Prince to stay in Milwaukee assuming there is some type of hometown discount? 6/120m?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

If a deal ca be reached with Weeks (call it 8 years, $70 million - a $10 milion bonus and $7.5 million a year), then perhaps Fielder can be convinced to take a lower figure (say 8 years, $100 million - $10 million bonus and $11.25 million a year). OK, the Brewers might have to find a new position for Lawrie (if Escobar does NOT improve on a .600 OPS, I think Lawrie's new position will be blindingly obvious), but I'd rather have Rickie and Prince slugging FOR the Brewers instead of some other team.

Do you have a link to that interview? I love the "Boras works for me" quote.

Not to get too off topic, BUT.... What could the Brewers realistically offer Prince to stay in Milwaukee assuming there is some type of hometown discount? 6/120m?

Brian Urlacher went so far as to tell the Bears "pay me less" to keep Lance Briggs.

Prince says, "Rickie has to be re-signed" and reminds fans - AND THE BREWERS - "Boras works for me" publicly.

Think a $100 or $125 million contract, but over eight or ten years, not six. Just as long as Weeks gets a dealof similar length that he will sign.

Well, he already turned down a contract rumored to be around 5 years and $100 million. Not sure how much higher the Brewers could realistically go.

I couldn't find a link to that interview. Sometimes it takes them a day or two to put things up on espnmilwaukee.com though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I saw a headline on ESPN.com yesterday, couldn't find it today, that was talking about Jeremy Bonderman figuring on being an Ex-Tiger next year. What about Bonderman and some other prospect for Prince.
If that prospect is a "can't miss" type, then maybe. Bonderman is not a very good pitcher. Then again, Baseball Reference does have his 10th best comparable at age 26 as Moose Haas.

I saw a headline on ESPN.com yesterday, couldn't find it today, that was talking about Jeremy Bonderman figuring on being an Ex-Tiger next year. What about Bonderman and some other prospect for Prince.
If that prospect is a "can't miss" type, then maybe. Bonderman is not a very good pitcher. Then again, Baseball Reference does have his 10th best comparable at age 26 as Moose Haas.
Bonderman is eligible to be a FA. If you want him, he'll be available.

Consider this. He won't turn 28 until October the same month Parra turns 28.. His WHIP this year (1.42) pitching in the AL is almost identical to Randy Wolf's. This was his first healthy year since 2007.

Bonderman put up some really good numbers at a really young age. If he's showing signs of getting back near to that level, he's a very intriguing guy. Even if he didn't improve over 2010, in the NL he's at least a very solid #4 starter and an upgrade over Bush.

clancyphile[/b]]
Invader3K[/b]]For whatever it's worth, I was listening to the D-List this afternoon; and they played a short audio interview done with Prince after yesterday's game. Prince specifically mentioned that, "Rickie has to be re-signed". The hosts strongly hinted that re-signing Weeks could make Prince more inclined to stay. Probably just speculation on their part, but I thought it was interesting. Prince also re-iterated that, "Boras works for me."
If a deal ca be reached with Weeks (call it 8 years, $70 million - a $10 milion bonus and $7.5 million a year), then perhaps Fielder can be convinced to take a lower figure (say 8 years, $100 million - $10 million bonus and $11.25 million a year). OK, the Brewers might have to find a new position for Lawrie (if Escobar does NOT improve on a .600 OPS, I think Lawrie's new position will be blindingly obvious), but I'd rather have Rickie and Prince slugging FOR the Brewers instead of some other team.

There are some questions about Lawrie handling 2B, so his moving to SS is probably more than out of the question.

And I see zero chance as well that Prince would sign an 8 year deal that will pay him less per year than he would make next year in a cost controlled year (and only $0.25 more than he made this year).

$7.5 mil a year for Weeks seems reasonable though. That is what Cano makes.

I basically agree with that whole post bruce. The Brewers have already been working out Lawrie at 3B also, so my guess is that's where his next position will lie. McGehee's value is relatively high right now, and we know he isn't going to get any better.

I still think re-signing Prince is a pipe dream. If he turned down 5/100, why would he agree to 8/100? I agree that he's friends with Rickie... but come on.

That's probably what it will take to get Rickie at this point. 2B really don't make all that much... 7.5 per is probably reasonable - especially considering his injury history.

I still don't believe that Prince will sign, and I'm pretty sure he'll be traded this off season, but thanks for the small glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe both Weeks and Fielder could be extended.

I agree with the original sentiment of this thread. Prince has been more than we could have expected from him, and if he is indeed traded this offseason, he will definitely be missed. I think many here underestimate the hit our offense will take next year if Prince is gone and Hart falls back to reality. With his talent, work ethic and chip on his shoulder, I have little doubt that whoever eventually signs him will get their money's worth... that money may just be a little more than the Brewers can handle.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

i would love Prince to return. But, I believe this team has a 2 maybe 3 year window of doing some play-off damage with our current guys. I think our lower levels are stocked for a future run in a few years. We are an ace pitcher away and a manager who can get his team to focus and stop making as many stupid mistakes- whether on defense or on the basepaths or up to bat. However, in order for us to get a good pitcher we'd have to trade Prince. But, we're not trading Prince unless we can exceed his value, or Melvin is committed to that 2-3 year window to make a trade under his value to help us win now.

When I say, value, this is what i feel it comes down to:

- 1 year of typical Prince productivity: 40 homers, .900OPS etc.
- 2, 1st round supplemental draft picks
- all the people he puts in the stands and merchandise his image sells

If you can find value back that equals or exceeds that, then Melvin will pull the trigger. The equivalent i can think of is a young Ace pitcher with team control through 2013.

Archived