Brewer Fanatic

Very very early projection of next season's rosters

And That

I usually do this later in the offseason, but I had a few minutes to kill today, so here's a really really really early projection for next year's rosters. Anyone who is not under contract for next year (to the best of my knowledge) has not been included in the projection. Anyone who is under contract is fair game, though I obviously am aware of the unlikelihood of Fielder still being around next season. And for the most part, if a pitcher ended this year on the disabled list with a major or undisclosed injury, I didn't include him. I never trust pitchers to get healthy until they are healthy.

If I made any obvious mistakes, let me know. Again, this isn't a prediction - I don't expect any of the rosters to end up like I have them right now. There are a few spots in Nashville where the Brewers just don't even have a guy yet. This just gives some idea at what me might be looking at next year, as of this very second.

Milwaukee

Starting Catcher J. Lucroy
Backup Catcher

G. Kottaras

Starting First Baseman P. Fielder

Starting Second Baseman R. Weeks
Backup Infielder

L. Cruz

Starting Third Baseman C. McGehee

Starting Shortstop A. Escobar
Backup Utility

J. Inglett
Starting Left Fielder R. Braun

Starting Center Fielder L. Cain
Backup Outfielder

C. Dickerson

Starting Right Fielder C. Hart
Backup Outfielder

B. Katin

Starting Pitcher #1 Y. Gallardo
Long Relief

C. Villanueva

Starting Pitcher #2 R. Wolf
Middle Relief #1

L. Hawkins
Starting Pitcher #3 C. Narveson
Middle Relief #2

T. Coffey

Starting Pitcher #4 M. Parra
Middle Relief #3

M. Stetter
Starting Pitcher #5 M. Rogers
Righthanded Setup

K. Loe
Closer J. Axford
Lefthanded Setup

Z. Braddock

Nashville

Starting Catcher A. Delarosa

Backup Catcher

P. Arlis

Starting First Baseman M. Gamel

Starting Second Baseman B. Lawrie
Backup Infielder

A. Machado
Starting Third Baseman T. Green

Starting Shortstop E. Farris
Backup Utility

TBD

Starting Left Fielder L. Haydel

Starting Center Fielder C. Gomez
Backup Outfielder

C. Caufield

Starting Right Fielder C. Gindl

Starting Pitcher #1 J. Jeffress
Long Relief

C. Cody
Starting Pitcher #2 J. Butler
Middle Relief #1

M. McClendon
Starting Pitcher #3 A. Rivas
Middle Relief #2

M. DiFelice
Starting Pitcher #4 C. Wright

Middle Relief #3

D. Hand
Starting Pitcher #5 M. Fiers
Righthanded Setup

A. Lamontagne
Closer B. Kintzler
Lefthanded Setup

L. Luetge

Huntsville

Starting Catcher S. Zarraga
Backup Catcher

S. McCraw

Starting First Baseman S. Halton

Starting Second Baseman M. Cline
Backup Infielder

J. Sanchez

Starting Third Baseman S. Miranda

Starting Shortstop Z. Wheeler
Backup Utility

P. Fatse

Starting Left Fielder S. Wilson

Starting Center Fielder L. Schafer
Backup Outfielder

B. Kjeldgaard

Starting Right Fielder E. Komatsu

Starting Pitcher #1 C. Scarpetta
Long Relief

T. Watten
Starting Pitcher #2 W. Peralta
Middle Relief #1

D. Meadows
Starting Pitcher #3 K. Heckathorn
Middle Relief #2

D. Byrd

Starting Pitcher #4 M. Bowman
Middle Relief #3

M. Ramlow

Starting Pitcher #5 D. Merklinger

Setup #1

A. Periard

Closer C. Frerichs

Setup #2

B. Bramhall

Brevard County

Starting Catcher R. Neda
Backup Catcher

A. Stockfisch

Starting First Baseman C. Dennis
Backup Catcher

M. Roberts

Starting Second Baseman S. Gennett

Starting Third Baseman C. Dykstra
Backup Utility

M. Brownstein

Starting Shortstop J. Prince

Starting Left Fielder H. Morris
Backup Outfielder

E. Miller

Starting Center Fielder Ke. Davis
Backup Outfielder

S. Krieger

Starting Right Fielder Kh. Davis

Starting Pitcher #1 J. Odorizzi
Long Relief/Piggyback

D. Howell

Starting Pitcher #2 M. Lasker
Long Relief/Piggyback

D. Krestalude

Starting Pitcher #3 N. Bucci
Middle Relief #1

R. Almonte

Starting Pitcher #4 H. Burgos
Middle Relief #2

M. Costello

Starting Pitcher #5 R. Seidel
Setup #1

M. Willinsky

Closer J. Pokorny
Setup #2

B. Ritchie

Wisconsin

Starting Catcher C. Garfield
Backup Catcher

B. Dean

Starting First Baseman C. Hawn

Starting Second Baseman S. Vucinich
Backup Infielder

J. Paciorek

Starting Third Baseman G. Hopkins

Starting Shortstop C. George
Backup Utility

M. Walker

Starting Left Fielder J. Dishon

Starting Center Fielder D. Richardson
Backup Outfielder

K. Allison

Starting Right Fielder F. Romero
Backup Outfielder

R. Garvey

Starting Pitcher #1 E. Arnett
Long Relief/Piggyback

S. Wawrzasek

Starting Pitcher #2 T. Thornburg
Long Relief/Piggyback

T. Cravy

Starting Pitcher #3 M. Miller
Middle Relief #1

R. Currie

Starting Pitcher #4 A. Ross
Middle Relief #2

E. Frederickson

Starting Pitcher #5 J. Nelson
Setup #1

E. Marzec

Closer B. Garman
Setup #2

A. Jones

If Luis Cruz is in our organization anywhere above the AAA level, I will be severely disappointed. I would be disappointed to see him at all except we have almost nobody else to play SS in the minors for us.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Shortstop definitely shows up as the single biggest weakness in the organization. Farris and Wheeler aren't really shortstops, Prince had a terrible year and George had a fielding percentage of about .900 at shortstop, which sadly is a decent improvement from last year. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Brewers go after a shortstop very high in next year's draft.

OTOH, the minor league rotations are fascinatingly deep.

Thanks a lot Toby, as I know coming up with these is more than just having a few minutes to kill! As you noted, the depth in the starting pitching at each level is really exciting. Were there any players you were tempted to bump up more aggressively that you think the Brewers might be tempted to do the same with in the spring? I could see Kentrail Davis skipping BC since he started this past year there anyway.

And I do hope you're right about Farris at SS to improve his value through versatility. While SS is one of the weakest positions in the system, 2B has to be the strongest.

I'd also like to see Dykstra given another shot at the OF so if he doesn't have one set position he may develop as a similar player to Chone Figgins. Maybe if Kentrail Davis does skip BC Dykstra could play both CF and 3B, and even spell Gennett at 2B from time to time.

Too much time between now and more baseball...

Were there any players you were tempted to bump up more aggressively that you think the Brewers might be tempted to do the same with in the spring? I could see Kentrail Davis skipping BC since he started this past year there anyway.
At this point, with the system at low tide in terms of players who will be in the Brewers' plans for next year, I bumped up far more guys than I was conservative with in my placement. For instance, there's less than a 1% chance that the Brewers' opening day rotation will be Gallardo-Wolf-Narvseon-Parra-Rogers - they are going to add at least one pitcher to that mix, probably more. That bumps everyone else down. I'd bet one or none of Jeffress/Merklinger/Fiers opens in AAA, which trickles down to AA where Heckathorn may start back in Brevard, and so on.

So on the pitching side, I'll say Peralta, Burgos, Seidel and Arnett have a chance to be higher than where they are. I won't guess on any relief pitchers... that's totally impossible to guess in March, much less now.

You're right that Kentrail Davis may well end up in Huntsville, but I don't think he will for two reasons. First, the Brewers from time to time have shown a tendency to keep a groups of players together. The Davises/Dennis/Gennett/Dykstra/Morris looks like a pretty solid group and it just so happens they are clustered pretty close together in the Power 50. The other reason has to do with Logan Schafer. I tend to doubt he'll have earned a promotion to AAA by the time camp breaks next spring and if Kentrail and Logan are on the same team, Kentrail won't be playing center field. Kentrail's value to the team will be greatly increased if he shows he can play center on an everyday basis. He was already shut out of that opportunity by playing in the same outfield with Richardson in Wisconsin. This is assuming that Richardson isn't promoted to Brevard, but I think he's relatively likely for a repeat, and I think it's much more likely Richardson ends up in Wisconsin than Schafer ends up in Nashville, so Brevard seems like the perfect fit to allow Kentrail to play center.

As for other guys, Hawn could probably be bumped to Brevard, but where would he play unless Morris repeats Wisconsin or gets promoted to Huntsville? As I mentioned, Richardson could feasibly go back to Brevard too, but I'd like to see him knock around Midwest League pitching a little more. Finally, if Weeks is traded, I think the Brewers will give Lawrie every shot to make the team out of spring training.

Milwaukee

Starting Catcher J. Lucroy
Backup Catcher

G. Kottaras

Starting First Baseman C. McGehee

Starting Second Baseman R. Weeks
Backup Infielder

L. Cruz

Starting Third Baseman M. Gamel

Starting Shortstop A. Escobar
Backup Utility

J. Inglett
Starting Left Fielder R. Braun

Starting Center Fielder L. Cain
Backup Outfielder

C. Dickerson

Starting Right Fielder C. Hart
Backup Outfielder

B. Katin

Starting Pitcher #1 Y. Gallardo
Long Relief

C. Villanueva

Starting Pitcher #2 R. Wolf
Middle Relief #1

L. Hawkins
Starting Pitcher #3 (Fielder Deal)
Middle Relief #2

T. Coffey

Starting Pitcher #4 C. Narveson
Middle Relief #3

M. Parra
Starting Pitcher #5 M. Rogers
Righthanded Setup

K. Loe
Closer J. Axford
Lefthanded Setup

Z. Braddock

This would be my team. A pitcher that comes back for Fielder stepping into the #3 or #2 spot in rotation. I keep Stetter at AAA and have Parra out of the pen where he has been better in his career. I go with McGehee at 1B and Gamel at 3B, but it is possible that McGehee stays at 3B, Hart goes to 1B and Gamel plays RF. McClendon and Kintzler are a phone call away at Nashville if any of our relief corps gets injured or are ineffective. We'll see. Just my guesses.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'd expect a Capuano deal along the lines of Doug Davis at minimum. What is everyone's problem with Cruz? He had a very good year in the minors, is young and under control.. He has a plus glove and hits better than Escobar.. I dont get why nobody like him in this thread..

I'd like to see a blockbuster Fielder/prospects for a true #1, bumping both Narveson and Parra to the pen and dumping Villy/Stetter/Hawkins/Coffey. I would be surprised to see Rogers open the year in MLB.

I also think a few of the guys have earned their spots with the pen already, like McClendon.

I see Capuano bumping Parra out of the rotation. Parra has actually been very good out of the pen, and Cappy has a string of quality starts. That pushes Stetter back to Nashville. I also see a SP acquired via trade in the rotation, with Rogers and Jeffress starting the year in Nashville to get stretched out. Hopefully they're both in the rotation by the break.

Goes without saying, but the roster may look quite different if a trade or two is made.

I agree with uwisfan.

Escobar has a .287 OBP this year. Cruz is also a very good defender. I don't want him starting on my team, but for $400,000 a year - I'd say he is a pretty servicable back-up. Back-up shortstops with a .330 OBP are called starters.

I really hope Gomez plays in AAA - but I have a feeling he might just be cut loose or traded. Schafer or Komatsu could skip a level and try AAA.

In terms of pitching, I think Capuano will be back. He has probably been our most efficient pitcher. I'd love to see the Brewers use Jeffress and Rogers as piggy-backed starters - but it will never happen.

uwisfan[/b]]I'm not saying Cruz is great, but he was named an allstar, has solid defense, and he hit better than Escobar this year.
At a lower level. Escobar age 22 at that same level last year .353/.409/.762. Luis Cruz age 26 this year .309/.414/.723. I am not a fan of Escobar but he is much better than Cruz. I have no idea why he was named an all-star. All the good SS must have been promoted to the majors.

Edit: Gomez would have to pass through waivers to be sent to the minors. We also cannot remove him from the 40-man roster without his consent. He could request to be released right away or at the end of the season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd expect a Capuano deal along the lines of Doug Davis at minimum. What is everyone's problem with Cruz? He had a very good year in the minors, is young and under control.. He has a plus glove and hits better than Escobar.. I dont get why nobody like him in this thread..

I'd like to see a blockbuster Fielder/prospects for a true #1, bumping both Narveson and Parra to the pen and dumping Villy/Stetter/Hawkins/Coffey. I would be surprised to see Rogers open the year in MLB.

I also think a few of the guys have earned their spots with the pen already, like McClendon.

Capuano won't get anything close to what Davis got at least as a base. He's probably assured himself of a major league deal, but no more than the $1.5 to $2 million range with something like $1-2 million in incentives. Whatever team signs Capuano will probably pencil him in as their 6th starter/long man who'll have a shot to compete for a starting job.

uwisfan[/b]]I'm not saying Cruz is great, but he was named an allstar, has solid defense, and he hit better than Escobar this year.
At a lower level. Escobar age 22 at that same level last year .353/.409/.762. Luis Cruz age 26 this year .309/.414/.723. I am not a fan of Escobar but he is much better than Cruz. I have no idea why he was named an all-star. All the good SS must have been promoted to the majors.

Edit: Gomez would have to pass through waivers to be sent to the minors. We also cannot remove him from the 40-man roster without his consent. He could request to be released right away or at the end of the season.

Getting Gomez through waivers in the spring shouldn't be an issue.

And that, awesome work all the way around. Pretty exciting to see so many of our pitchers from low A and high A to AA and AAA now. Looks like instead of having pitching depth in the low minors, we now have it throughout. And it looks like the 2010 draft could help solidify our low A rotation too.

The other thing that gets me is the sheer number of the overcrowdings we have in the minors. How about Neda, Garfield, and Roberts vying for 2 spots? Or Hunter Morris, Cody Hawn, and Dennis? Depth like that is enviable, to say the least. The Brewers need guys like this, whether to fill out the back of a bullpen, be role players, or be starters. It allows us to use our money exclusively on starters and stars.

Capuano won't get anything close to what Davis got at least as a base. He's probably assured himself of a major league deal, but no more than the $1.5 to $2 million range with something like $1-2 million in incentives. Whatever team signs Capuano will probably pencil him in as their 6th starter/long man who'll have a shot to compete for a starting job.
His results have been encouraging this year and he definitely makes the existing rotation a lot better if he is healthy. What I meant to say was they should sign at least a Capuano-level pitcher at minimum.

I am NOT claiming Cruz is on par with or better than Escobar. I am saying if Escobar is worthy of a starting spot, Cruz as a backup isnt a problem.

Capuano has really embraced Milwaukee, probably more so than any athlete since at least Vin Baker (him leaving Milwaukee likely killed his career). I doubt he has his east side apartmetn anymore sicne he has been rehabbing but I think he is one who is more leikly to come here than look elsewhere.

Archived