Brewer Fanatic

OF Erik Komatsu, RHP Jake Odorizzi are the 2010 Yount Performance Award Winners

Mass Haas

Great pic, Mass. We drove by a Komatsu bulldozer over the weekend and I pointed it out to my wife, explaining it was the last name of a Brewer minor leaguer. So anyone know if he is related or if there are millions of Komatus?

The company seems to be named after the city in Japan in which it was first founded. Though Komatsu is also a fairly common Japanese name.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

endaround, you shamed me into looking for myself. I could have looked that up... From the company's website:

Our company was named after the city Komatsu, located in the Ishikawa Prefecture of the Hokuriku region in Japan. The actual name "Komatsu" translates into English as "little pine tree" and, according to legend, dates back to the middle of the Heian period (794-1192). At that time, the monk-emperor Kazan planted a pine sapling during a tour of the Hokuriku region, and the area where it grew came to be called "sono no komatsubara" ("small-pine field with gardens"). This name is said to have been shortened to "Komatsu".

So, if our "little pine tree" makes it to the bigs, do we get a new corporate sponser? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Okay, this is awesome: He's on the smaller side of MLB players (5'10"), and he's a great hitter. From here on his nickname must be Little Pine.
It would be better if it meant Little Ash or Little Maple. I guess since he's projected to be a 4th outfielder, "pine" makes some sense. Or maybe he uses a lot of (or a little) pine tar. Or maybe he yearns...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Isn't a little pine a bonsai?

Bonsai means "tray tree". Its not the name of a species. And they are typically junipers (evergreens, but like cedar), but can be pine.

I'm all in favor of "little pine" for his nickname. Hope he likes it! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

But also does that mean when someone is benched for a couple days, we say that he just "got komatsu-ed"?

Archived