Brewer Fanatic

2010-09-21 Reds (Volquez) at Brewers (Bush), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3]

crewcrazy

Looks like PA wasn't able to get an IGT up tonight, so here you go.

Phillips 2B

Cabrera SS

Bruce RF

Rolen 3B

Edmonds 1B

Gomes LF

Hernandez C

Heisey CF

Volquez P

Weeks 2B

Hart RF

Braun LF

Fielder 1B

McGehee 3B

Dickerson CF

Lucroy C

Counsell SS

Bush P

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Only 22,761 there tonight--smallest crowd in over 3 years.
After a quick review of my Miller Park attendance spreadsheets (yes, I'm a nerd, but you all knew that), it appears to be the smallest crowd since May 31, 2007, when 17,704 paid to see the Brewers edge the Marlins - including the hawing party. I don't know how we've managed to be at the "smallest crowd" of most seasons in Miller Park, but there you go. The silver lining in such a small crowd was that most everyone in attendance wanted to be there, and many stayed to the end.

It wasn't the worst game we've seen this year (though I've now got a bone to pick with Polish Falcons, who guaranteed a win for us), but it felt like the 2010 Brewers in a nutshell: missed opportunities, miscues, and just all around falling short. My "this hurts the Cardinals, so it is not all bad" mantra did some good. There were a few Reds fans near us, but they didn't seem all that excited. I suppose I should be glad they weren't in our faces (like a certain blue and red clad fanbase) or lecturing us on how to play/follow the game (like a certain other red-clad fanbase).

Speaking of fanbases, I heard a smattering of cheers and no boos for Diego as he was introduced tonight. I'm afraid I wasn't surprised at all to see him hit one out, nor to see him come up lame as he rounded the bases. He really had trouble getting from home plate to the dugout and I am glad no one cheered or jeered at that.

I took refuge in the team stores for part of this game, so I missed Dave Bush walking off the Miller Park field for perhaps the last time as a Brewer. Still, having seen him for eleven starts this year is about enough. Thanks for playing, Dave. I'll choose to remember you as you pitched on 10/4/2008.

Also: since this is the last homestand (sob) of the year, the Brewers have put together yet another "thank you fans" montage that they played before tonight's game, and presumably every game this week. Toward the end of the montage is brewerfan's own Bikeage77, air drumming somewhere in the terrace level. Nice. Real nice!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Is there any Brewer you would like to see up less than Carlos Gomez with 2 outs in the 9th and the tying run on 3B? For me, there is no one.
I don't think so. I honestly think any pitcher used in a pinch hitter role would be a more welcome sight at this point.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived