Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Colvin punctured by broken bat.

DuWayne Steurer

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
he looked fine in the dugout watching the video..
Actually, it appears the injury was pretty serious. There wasn't a lot of blood, but it punctured the chest cavity and allowed air in, leading to the possibility of a collapsed lung. He's spending a few days in the hospital and is considered out for the season.
Yeah, that's why I posted it. Wasn't real clear from my post. It didn't even look like the bat hit him all that hard.

If you pause the video from ESPN, you can clearly see what looks like a big bullet hole on Colvins chest.

And it was a maple bat, per the story. They quoted Quade about how the ash bats shatter into small pieces, but the maple bats tend to stay in large chunks when the handle breaks.

Castillo, the batter, said that he didn't do it on purpose.

Thanks for that clarification.

What he said was: "I feel really bad about it...It wasn't on purpose, but he's my teammate. I hope he's getting better."

Rather than nit-pick his comments, I just assumed that english was not his first language and he meant that even though it was accidental he still felt bad about it...

Besides, if Zambrano was at the plate, the clarification would be needed.

Didn't Rick Helling get speared a couple of years ago as well?

I think MLB is going to have to make some rule changes to reduce the number of shattered bats. My guess would be that they will increase the thickness of the handles, and possibly ban the maple bats.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Everybody needs to stop taking my posts so seriously in this thread. When someone makes a joke, don't ruin it by getting all nitty.

Yes, I was getting all nitty. That's exactly what I was doing. It's not like sarcasm comes across real well with the written word, so maybe you could clarify, for future reference.

Archived