Brewer Fanatic

Troy Tulowitzki: An Historic Month?

wibadgers23

If Ryan Braun is on fire right now, then what is Troy Tulowitzki? His month of September so far has to be up there with some of the greatest months offensively in history. As of right now, he has 14 homeruns, 33 rbi's, and is hitting around .365 in September. And there's still nearly two weeks left until the end of the month! Looks like Colorado might do it again.

It's ok wibad, I usually read the info on this site out loud with a Mary Poppins-esque Cockney accent anyway for no good reason.

Tulo has been sick, and I am very much rooting for the Rockies. A Rockies/Rays series would work for me.

I'd love to see them knock the Giants out of contention. Not sure why, but I'm just getting a bit sick of that team.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The thread title is perfectly correct. The increasingly low-brow American English accepts more and more of what used to be considered improper. Grammar as in this title actually reflects what's more proper, about which more & more of our society is becoming completely clueless.

And yes, Tulowitzki's hot streak is beyond incredible. If the Brewers could've had someone hitting like that in April, we might not have started with a 4-14 home record and might actually be looking at the baseball world from a vantage point above the .500 mark.

Hindsight being what it is, I really wish the Brewers had drafted Tulo instead of Braun. And just for comparison's sake, their September slash stats so far --

Braun: .339/.369/.581/.950

Tulo: .371/.421/1.057/1.478

Wow.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Hindsight being what it is, I really wish the Brewers had drafted Tulo instead of Braun. And just for comparison's sake, their September slash stats so far --

Wow.

Braun still has a much higher career OPS+ than Tulowtzki. 140 vs 115. I do realize that Tulo plays better defense and this thread is going to quickly devolve into some kind of WAR argument, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The thread title is perfectly correct. The increasingly low-brow American English accepts more and more of what used to be considered improper. Grammar as in this title actually reflects what's more proper, about which more & more of our society is becoming completely clueless.

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/992/992212/ocd-family-guys-buzz-killington-20090605014340917-000.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wow.

Braun still has a much higher career OPS+ than Tulowtzki. 140 vs 115. I do realize that Tulo plays better defense and this thread is going to quickly devolve into some kind of WAR argument, though.
Despite Tulo's awesome 3 week stretch, I'd still look at each of their 4 year careers as a whole as evidence that I'd still rather have Braun.

The only real reason I read this thread is because of the "An Historic" part of the title. I wanted to see if someone was going to try to correct it by changing it to "A Historic". I just talked about this to someone at work a couple weeks ago when they didn't believe me that it is acceptable to use "an" in front of certain non-vowel starting words. I'm glad to see some people knew that here as well.

Tulo has been great especially as of late, but I think his true talent level is a lot closer to Hardy than it is to Hanley. Lots of Coors in his triple slash.

His road OPS this season so far is .917, which is still very impressive. His OPS+ of 144 is far & away the best from the SS position. The next closest SS is Hanley Ramirez at 125.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

A Historic is the more common usage because of the way the H sounds in the word. You say An Hour because the H in hour sounds like OW.

An Historic still gets used though and usually that means they let it slide since A vs An isn't a hard and fast rule.

I just talked about this to someone at work a couple weeks ago when they didn't believe me that it is acceptable to use "an" in front of certain non-vowel starting words. I'm glad to see some people knew that here as well.

It basically depends on whether or not you pronounce the consonant that begins the word. If it starts with a vowel sound, you'd generally use "an" (an honest statement) while you'd typically use "a" if it begins with a consonant sound (a hot plate). This is why Brits use the words differently, as they have silent consonants which American English has mutated to pronounce.

So you could either say "an istoric" or "a historic". In writing, you're safe either way because it could be pronounced either way. Just please don't ever pronounce human "yoo-man" or say "ath-a-lete" those are just plain weird.

Archived