Brewer Fanatic

New Seth McClung Blog -- Updated non-blog news: Rangers sign McClung

Hofbraunhaus

Seth McClung has a new blog on OnMilwaukee.com. He'll be blogging about baseball and other sports. His first blog is about having an optimistic look at some of the things the Brewers did this season. It's cool to see that even as he is living in Florida, he still feels a connection with the city and the Brewers.
Hmmm. No props for Macha?

That's pretty neat to see, and he actually writes pretty well (outside of a few typos). Man, if there's one guy I'd love to see go to an American League team and just have a mediocre career as a bottom of the rotation or back of the bullpen guy, it's Seth McClung. I hadn't realized he wasn't playing this season.

So, will the Cardinals be signing Trevor Hoffman next year? Apparently he's the classiest guy in professional sports!

So, will the Cardinals be signing Trevor Hoffman next year? Apparently he's the classiest guy in professional sports!
It depends on whether Classy Nation can forget that Trevor participated in that 9/6/2009 shockwave move at home plate.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Funketown[/b]]Man, if there's one guy I'd love to see go to an American League team and just have a mediocre career as a bottom of the rotation or back of the bullpen guy, it's Seth McClung.

I understand what you are saying, but for some reason this just struck me as really funny.....I really like that guy. I'd like to see him win a small scratch off lottery ticket prize..like $10 or $15.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nope, no poopy pants!

I really like that guy. I'd like to see him win a small scratch off lottery ticket prize..like $10 or $15.

LOL, I think I have a new signature! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Funketown[/b]]Man, if there's one guy I'd love to see go to an American League team and just have a mediocre career as a bottom of the rotation or back of the bullpen guy, it's Seth McClung.

I understand what you are saying, but for some reason this just struck me as really funny.....I really like that guy. I'd like to see him win a small scratch off lottery ticket prize..like $10 or $15.
I was trying to be reasonable. Of course I'd love to see the guy win a Cy, but I think he actually has the potential (although it may be unlikely) to have a decent journeyman career.

• 2 months later...

McClung is now coaching a Florida girls' HS basketball program (via TH). It's not going very well so far:

"It's not often a coach gets interviewed after a 76-point loss," McClung said.
For seven seasons, he was a major-league player making major-league money, pitching as a starter and reliever for the Rays in two stints from 2003 to 2007 and three seasons with the Brewers (2007-09) before signing a minor-league contract with the Marlins in February. He was released in March and still has aspirations of making it back to the big leagues.

But McClung's real passion has always been basketball, and he had long-term goals of coaching at the high school or small-college level. When the Pinellas Park job opened this summer, McClung was one of the first to apply. "Baseball has always come easy to me," McClung said. "But what was I going to offer as a coach? All I could say is throw hard. Basketball is something I've always had to work at. I just love the sport, and I wanted to coach it."

McClung started thinking about what could have been. Maybe he could have played college basketball. Instead, he opted for the next best thing — he started coaching it.

From 2005 to 2007, he was an assistant with the University of Tampa women's basketball team. "We're both from West Virginia and knew about each other, so I offered Seth a chance to coach with us," said coach Tom Jessee, who is in his ninth season at UT. " … He's a basketball junkie and even coached a little bit in AAU. He already knew a lot about skills and formations that most young coaches don't know right away.

"When he was here, he didn't want to be known as a baseball player. He didn't want to be put on a pedestal; he just wanted to coach."

McClung hoped for a lengthy baseball career before going into coaching full time. But a near yearlong layoff has accelerated those plans. "I had some time on my hands, so I figured why not try high school basketball," McClung said. "I knew about the history of the (Pinellas Park) program before I applied. I thought I could do some things to change the perception and turn things around."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLive, that article just made me think of the HBO show East Bound and Down. You think McClung has a jet ski parked in the front lawn somehwere?
That's exactly what I was thinking about, too. McClung needs to grow out a mullet.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Rangers signed RHP Seth McClung to a split contract.

McClung failed to make the Marlins roster in spring training this past season and then spent the rest of the year coaching a prep girls basketball team in his native Tampa. He most recently posted a 4.94 ERA, 1.63 WHIP and 40/39 K/BB ratio over 62 innings for the Brewers in 2009. He'll be given a shot to compete for a rotation spot, but he'll be lucky to stick on the major league roster as a swing man.

• 1 month later...

From his latest blog entry:

Steelers seem to have some advantages, But I can't seem to find myself cheering for a team that I know Ken Macha is cheering for. My prediction: Packers 24, Steelers 21.
Think McClung has some issues with Macha? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived