Brewer Fanatic

Can Randy Wolf rebound in 2011?

JJHardy7
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The NL league average for starters this year is 4.10, so even with this hot streak Wolf isn't even average. Going forward, age will likely start to affect him. He'll be 35 before next season is over.

-------------------

Where did you find this info?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

BR's WAR is crap, well some people think all WAR is crap, but BR's is especially bad for hitting and pitching.

I'm going to guess you mean fielding and pitching, but maybe there's something about hitting that I don't know about.

As far as the pitching differences, they measure different things. bref uses ERA, so it measures the actual impact on the game, for the most part. Fangraphs uses FIP, which measures components, but not the runs that actually determine the outcome of the game.

If you are trying to measure the value the pitcher had in the game, bref is going to be closer. If you want WAR to be something that you can use to predict future performance, fangraphs is going to do a better job.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ah, the overall splits. Never thought to look there. Looked everywhere else on BR. Thanks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

kramnoj[/b]] BR's WAR is crap, well some people think all WAR is crap, but BR's is especially bad for hitting and pitching.

If you are trying to measure the value the pitcher had in the game, bref is going to be closer. If you want WAR to be something that you can use to predict future performance, fangraphs is going to do a better job.

I see it more as if you are trying to measure the value of a pitcher and the defense behind him he has no control over, BRef is going to be closer. If you want WAR to measure the things a pitcher can individually control and the amount of time he is on the field accomplishing them, Fangraphs is going to do a better job.

gregmag1[/b]]I'm very sorry about that; I just assumed there was one stat. Thanks for the explanation.

No reason to be sorry. I hope I didn't sound frustrated at you, more at BaseballReference. In my opinion, if you are going to come up with a new way to compile an established stat, you shouldn't be able to call it the name of the existing stat. It would be like the guy who came up with OPS+ just calling it OPS because its close enough. In the end its a new stat and to not label it as such is just going to cause massive confusion.

I agree that Wolf is what he is...

he is an average major league pitcher...and for a team that struggles to find average major league pitchers....we need him to be average next year (but would take better than average)...and hopefully find a #2 starter and one of the young guys become the #3.

Archived