Brewer Fanatic

Obscure Brewers game

jaybird2001wi

Geoff Jenkins and Jason Bere came to my middle school when I was in eighth grade. All the girls were fawning over Jenkins because he was cute, I was fawning over him because he was one of my favorite players. I talked to Jenks and Bere for about 15 minutes and was late for class. I think Jenks was weirded out a little when I was telling him how I listened to his first ML game on the radio and remembered almost all of it.

I went to the Brewers first interleague game in 1997 at Wrigley Field and Bryce Florie personally gave me a ball so the Cubs fans around me wouldn't get it.

I went to my first Buckethead Brigade game against the Phillies. I don't remember the date, but it was the first year of it and the T-shirts were a lime green. I met Tim VanWagoner, the Brewers director of media relations (or something like that). But during that game, Ulice Payne came through the section and walked within 3 feet of me. I had a bucket with the ball and glove logo and "Brew Crew" written on it that one of my friends had made and didn't want to wear anymore. So I called out to Ulice and gave him the bucket. He smiled and promptly put it on his head and walked around wearing it. My dad said he saw it on TV.

Quote:
Pat Hughes lived next door to us when he was with the Brewers. He used to mow his lawn in the middle of the night, using a beat up tractor with huge floodlights mounted on the front. He was kind of a strange bird.

That is really strange.......

When I was really young I was with my parents at American. We were walking around and then my Dad went up this guy and starting talking to him. It ended up being Pete Vuckovich. He was really nice my Dad talked him for a couple mins, then he tried talking to me, but I was pretty shy. He ended up signing my hat, and then we continued shopping.

Joey, probably before you joined, we had a long "Are you a pee talker?" thread right here in Off Topic. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

But I digress.

I remember bumping into both Wendy and Ulice several times apiece during their tenure.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

That reminds me. I met Laurel Prieb in the stairwell at MP once. I smiled and he said hello.

A now-former employee saw Bud Selig at Gilles before a game, probably in 2002 or so. My student didn't say anything, but Bud noticed him looking and gave him "the nod" (acknowledging being recognized) before heading back to his black Lexus.

I wish I had some better obscure Brewers stories.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Joey, probably before you joined, we had a long "Are you a pee talker?" thread right here in Off Topic

I am not -- To his credit Frank Howard was trying to be friendly to an up and coming Brewer fan -- but -- he is/was freakishly large, and it was a bathroom. The real icing on the cake, was that I told my Dad and he thought I was lying. He asked me how I knew it was Frank Howard, and I told him, because he had his uniform on. -- So then my Dad proceeded to embark on this endless game, where he would spot big fat dudes in Brewers shirts and go "Look there is George Scott, oh my God it's Don Money, etc. etc."

I thought of another Brewer meeting I had -- I met Sal Bando at a GOP fund-raiser for Bob Kasten, in about 1986.

We knew John Jaha a bit when he played here. Met his wife (Trudy I think her name was) a few times also.

One game we were sitting with her and after the game she started going up and down the aisles picking up those large plastic Brewer logo cups they sold soda in; she must have had 30+ cups. When my wife asked her why she had all the cups, she said "We're having a party and I don't have enough cups for everyone," (I'm paraphrasing).

Ugh.

I don't know what Jaha's contract was at the time, but I'm guessing it was enough to buy some plastic cups.

When I was about 7 or 8 my Mom took me to Dunham's to get a new glove and we noticed that Charlie Moore was standing right there, I've never seen my Mom get so excited.

He was really cool, and down to earth and told us to use shaving cream to break in our gloves. I never forgot that. Thanks Charlie.

Me and one of my good friends who knows nothing about baseball were at Mcgillicudy's on a Saturday night 4 or 5 years ago and Geoff Jenkins was there. I saw him walk by, and I told my friend who he was, and my friend who carried around a Henry Blanco police baseball card in his wallet at the time, called him Hank Blanco, and asked for his autograph. Geoff was not very pleased with him.

I was at a Buckethead game when Jim Gantner was there. I left my seat to join the line and get Gumby's autograph. He ended up leaving since they had to do the intro in the stands. I debated waiting in line, I was next up, but decided to return to my seats. To my surprise, Gantner, Bill and Darron were right next to me for the filming. I was on TV for the whole thing and then after I got all of their autographs and talked to them a little too. I was sure glad I didn't wait in that line!

I have no idea why, perhaps it could've been the usage of the word sack, but that story really made me laugh. In fact, I'm still laughing at the site of Selig, doubled over, with the Seven Dwarves doing their thing on the ice. Love it.

I was at a game in the mid 90's and BJ Surhoff was out on the warning track doing some stretching, jogging, and throwing. These kids were asking him for stuff, as I was about 12-13, I wanted something too. He had given away everything he had, and I strolled down by the outfield fence with my mom, and yelled to him "Hey Mr. Surhoff, got anything for me!?" He proceeded to reach in his pants and pull out his cup, and held it up in the air. I was speechless, had no clue what had just happened. My mom to this day doesn't stop laughing when we relive that moment, as BJ just smiled at her and jogged away. I will never forget that afternoon.

Archived