Brewer Fanatic

Obscure Brewers game

jaybird2001wi

I have an idea. Why don't we name some obscure Brewer players and give a useless fact about them? I will start....

Former Brewers 2nd baseman Pedro Garcia gave MC Hammer the nickname "Hammer" as a kid when he was the batboy for the Oakland Athletics because he resembled Hank Aaron as a child.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was the President of the Mike Birkbeck Fan Club when I was in 8th grade (1987).

I went to a game, down by the dugout, flagged him down and asked him to sign an autograph- told him I was president of his fan club. His response- "I don't care, kid."

Stay classy, Mark.

The first ball I ever got in batting practice was in 1991 when the Brewers were playing the White Sox. During the entire batting practice, I kept on hassling Dan Plesac the whole bp for a ball and he kept saying, "Hold on kid, I will get you one." Then when bp ended, he came up to me in the bleachers (I was with my dad and older brother) and he said, "Here you go, kid. He signed it for me." That brightened my night and he was officially one of my most favorite Brewers ever. Plesac was a class act all the way. I was 8 years old then.

The night after Pat Listach hit his first career homer in Boston, I was at the game the next night, and got his autograph and as he was signing, I said, congratulations on your homerun. He said thanks. Nothing huge and exciting, but I thought I was pretty cool.

Terry Francona went on to manage the Red Sox to a World Series title in 2004.

I kid, I kid....

During a batting practice in '92, Tony Fossas (the mechanic) was with the Red Sox and came over to talk to somebody next to me. I remember being suprised he had a foreign sounding accent. [rick aguilera reference deleted...I'm melding memories]

before game 3 of the 82 series, I was able to flag down Chuck Porter to autograph my WS Ball that I "caught" off the ground of the bleachers during batting practice.

Yep, an almost-nine-year-old me didn't care who it was and I got Chuck Porter.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Paul Householder: huge Jimi Hendrix fan

Del Crandall (manager and broadcaster): I used to play with his kids.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

back in the late 80s early 90s my brother, cousins and i went to old county stadium the day before opening day to watch them practice. we stood in the first row around home plate just watching when i noticed a ball on the field not to far from me. i think my brother told me i should go get it. well i jumped over the fence ran over, grabbed the ball and ran back to the fence. we all took off when we heard so guy yelling "hey kid." we looked back and it was a reporter from the journal. he took my name and asked some questions nothing major. shortly after we left. that was the only ball i got until miller park opened. i still have the ball autographed by most of the players. ill never forget that.

I was at a game in 1977 (yes, really), I got Sixto Lezcano's autograph before the game, which really put me on cloud nine, he was my first favorite player.

After the game, my cousin and I were trying to get more autographs as the players came out in street clothes, this guy came out, my cousin ran over and got him to sign. The player turned toward me and very politely asked me if I wanted an autograph too, I thought for sure it was Sixto, so I said "No, I already got yours." The guy just gave me an extra little look, then walked off.

My cousin came over and showed me the autograph he'd just gotten, in very nice penmanship it read "Bill Castro."

Sorry Bill.

In my very much younger and more precocious years I once hit Pat Listach with a jolly rancher; however I was aiming for Doug Henry.

I still can't figure out why Listach was in the bullpen...

Quote:
In my very much younger and more precocious years I once hit Pat Listach with a jolly rancher; however I was aiming for Doug Henry.

What???!! I know the Henry family really well, should I tell him when I see him next?? Haha...

What did Listach do?

When I was at UW-Whitewater as the sports editor, I had a chance to interview Doug Henry, who served as the pitching coach for the team. He resigned at the end of the year amid controversy when he punched out a UW-Oshkosh player during a brawl between UW-Whitewater and UW-Oshkosh. Pitcher Kevin Tomasiewicz of UWW hit his former teammate, who was batting for Oshkosh and the benches cleared. Henry is now with the Braves organization and Tomasiewicz is now with the Mets organization.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

When I was roughly 10 years old, we went to an autograph signing at the Janesville Mall, at which the guy signing was one Earnest Riles. Not a lot of kids there, maybe 30-40 or so. My dad told him that we were going on a trip to Niagara Falls later in the summer, and that we'd be swinging through Detroit when the crew was in town.

This had to be 3 months later, and as my little brother and I are down by the dugout seeking autographs, Ernie pops out, sees us both, and says "Hey! The Janesville kids! I didn't think I'd see you guys here!"

I thought that was so damn cool that he remembered that we said we were coming. So now I have 3 Ernie Riles autographed pieces.

Archived