Brewer Fanatic

2011 Schedule Announced, Interleague Brutal; Update -- Maybe not?

Mass Haas
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man I really wanted CC to come back to Miller Park. I cant believe whoever made the schedule didnt want that warm fuzzy moment to happen for everyone.
Yeah but the Yankees came to Miller Park last time we played them so we have to go to New York this time. Just like with Boston, we went to Boston in 08 so they have.. .Wait.

Just two games in LA and once again, not on a weekend...uggh. Can't even get down to SD for the mini-series there.

Agree on the Boston trip. I did that in '08 and had a blast (except for the sweep part). If you haven't done the trip, I highly recommend it.

I am planning a little biz trip to NYC for the Yanks series. I haven't seen them vs. the Yanks in NYC since Yount & Molitor were still on the team.

Another aspect of our interleague schedule. We'll be playing teams that are currently #1, 2, 3, and 5 in the majors in runs scored. (The #5 would likely be #4 if Morneau wasn't out). This schedule may not only result in a poor record for the 15 games, but it could wear out our bullpen. We may want to carry an extra arm instead of bringing up a DH for this stretch.

I'm planning on making the trip to Boston next year, never been there. To those that have went, any suggestions on where to stay?
I've already booked a room at the Howard Johnson right next to Fenway. With a discount code I found online, it ended up to be about $173 a night, with tax included ($151 before tax). We stayed at a Ramada about 4 miles away from Fenway in '08, and the room was actually a few dollars more expensive than I'm paying for the HoJo this time around.

I'm planning on making the trip to Boston next year, never been there. To those that have went, any suggestions on where to stay? Anyone know what hotel the Brewers stay at?

I stayed at the Hilton Back Bay last time (perfectly fine albeit fairly pedestrian...I used miles). I believe the Brewers were right across the street at the Sheraton. They have a Starbucks downstairs...can you guess which former manager I saw there. It was semi-long but walkable to the stadium. There's plenty of restaurants and bars in the Back Bay. For more of the historical sites, I'd suggest staying closer to Boston Common then cab to Fenway. The city was very crowded that weekend with all the college graduations...it may be the same weekend in 2011 so reserving something early may not be a bad idea if you can cancel it.

• 3 months later...
Was just reading through this thread and wondered if anybody has opinions about the Brewers chances with this schedule after all the winter changes. The Brewers look to be more competitive, but the schedule is, of course, still brutal.
You may run like Mays...

The 'crew is at a huge disadvantage in the division this year.

They have 6 games vs the Twins, 3 vs the Red Sox and Yankees, and 3 vs the Rays.

The Cardinals get 6 vs the Royals, 3 vs the Orioles and the Blue Jays and 3 vs the Rays.

Those 12 different games could very well cost the 'Crew the division crown.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm trying to work a Crew/Yankee game into my NYC trip at the end of June, does anybody know why the times of the games for that series are "TBD?" And/or when those game times will be announced? I was hoping that the game on Thursday June 30th would be a night game, but seeing as how we have a game in Minnesota the next night, I'm thinking it will be an afternoon game?

I am SOOOOO excited to see them coming to Houston 3 times this year. I am going in April when they're in town. The last 2 years, I couldn't because of my schedule, and they were in Houston for weekday series. Now, Friday, Saturday, Sunday series. Awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to work a Crew/Yankee game into my NYC trip at the end of June, does anybody know why the times of the games for that series are "TBD?" And/or when those game times will be announced? I was hoping that the game on Thursday June 30th would be a night game, but seeing as how we have a game in Minnesota the next night, I'm thinking it will be an afternoon game?

Yankees finally released the starting times for home games. 28th and 29th are 7:05 and 30th is 1:05.

• 4 months later...

That's an interesting article. I didn't realize that the Rockies series, which we just swept, factors into the overall interleague schedule for the crew, as does a phillies vs cards series for St Louis.

As much trouble as the brewers have had against the twins, they truly do look like a bad team this year and the brewers should take advantage of that.

Although the Indians have the best record in baseball, I'd still much rather the brewers face them than the Yankees, red sox, or rays. the article seems flawed in that sense, and it seems silly to say the brewers have the easiest interleague schedule, but I would say yes to this revised thread title- maybe not so bad.

Well we have the "easiest" because we have six games against the Twins, who are terrible. That's out of our control as our rival. The thing that's not fair is the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays. If you take out the "natural rival" part of it, we have to have the most difficult interleague of anyone, plus 3 of our 5 series are on the road.

Although the Indians have the best record in baseball, I'd still much rather the brewers face them than the Yankees, red sox, or rays. the article seems flawed in that sense, and it seems silly to say the brewers have the easiest interleague schedule, but I would say yes to this revised thread title- maybe not so bad.
but the Indians just swept NL Central counterpart Reds so in comparison especially now knowing that, our schedule isnt so bad. But the tough part is coming.

It appears that our interleague schedule may not be as bad as we thought it was, at least relative to our NL Central counterparts:

Larry Granillo article at BP.

I haven't fully dug into it, but the article may not be apples to apples. The comparison uses the NL team that we and others play during the week of interleague...the Rockies this week for us. I looked at the schedule and found 4/16 teams play 18 inter league games (Reds, Dbacks, Mets and Marlins), the rest play 15. However that doesn't mean we play an entire extra series against the Rockies...both the Reds and Brewers play them 7 times. It's likely 3 extra games spread across 3 teams. I haven't dug into it, but that would be the proper compare to see who has the overall tougher schedule.

However that doesn't mean we play an entire extra series against the Rockies...
Yes it does, this past weekend, July 14-17 at Colorado, Sept 13-14 at home. The Cardinals are also stuck with an extra series against the Phillies and the Cubs get an extra series against the Giants, so the NL opponent in Interleague does matter. That said, it's the luck of the draw, and it helped the Brewers in '08 when we got Toronto and Baltimore at home. We went 5-1 in those games, and we won the Wild Card by one game, so getting those teams instead of the Yankees or Rays may have gotten us to the playoffs.

Archived