Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers retire Ben Sheets number? (when he retires)

nate82
WestSideWillie[/b]]83 losses along with a .076 batting average and a 3.72 ERA, qualifies you as a 500 pitcher. Pretty much

the same stats as Oil Can Boyd and as mentioned Aaron Harang. It was a nice run for the Sheeter but not

walk of fame worthy. I vote for the first aid room naming rights, good one.

Wether or not this post is serious, its hilarious. I bet Sheeter would even find it amusing.

Who are we, the Bucks?

No way do the brewers retire the number for sheets. Give him a walk of fame spot(maybe, and i think that might be a reach), and leave it at that.

I wish the brewers would take a similar approach to retiring numbers that the Red Sox have. Spend the majority of your career with the team, and be a hall of famer.

Yes, that would rule out Fingers(although he has really taken to Milwaukee over the past 15 years or so, thus helping his case for deserving the honor) and Cooper from ever getting their numbers retired, but it would keep conversations like this from rising up. I do not want mediocre players, or guys who spend one or two years with the team to have their numbers retired(too late i know). This should be an honor reserved for those who are not only some of the greatest of all time, but also guys who are Milwaukee Brewers through and through.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I wish the brewers would take a similar approach to retiring numbers that the Red Sox have. Spend the majority of your career with the team, and be a hall of famer.

(snip)

This should be an honor reserved for those who are not only some of the greatest of all time, but also guys who are Milwaukee Brewers through and through.

I understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that the current era of MLB does not generate many players who spend even the majority of their career with one team (except those who flamed out early), except for the largest-market teams who can actually afford to retain players for a long time. There could theoretically be no retire-able Brewers for a long time.

I realize that number retirement should be a rare thing, but the criteria you list could result in no one ever qualifying.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Certainly retiring his number wouldn't be appropriate, but he's a walk-of-fame guy. If Jim Gantner is there, Sheets should be.

Sheets didn't throw complete games? Based on his era, he threw complete games more than 90% of starters in all likelihood.

Not even close. Frankly, for all the reasons already stated, I'm surprised anyone even thought it should be considered.
You shouldn't be surprised that one person is willing to at least consider anything. Based on the posts in this thread, it is only one, though. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Sheets didn't throw complete games? Based on his era, he threw complete games more than 90% of starters in all likelihood.

As a Sheets hater, I saw this post and immediately jumped at the chance to dispel such a claim.

But Stevo is right.

Sheets has 18 CG in his career, and that's good for 16th among active pitchers. Only Sabathia, Buehrle and Cliff Lee are the same age or younger, with more CG than Sheets.

Enough to justify retiring his number? Hardly.

But enough to earn a little more respect from me.

And I don't think he's going to get to 19.

Archived