Brewer Fanatic

Fender Stratocaster? You make the call.

brewerfan82

Back-story -- I've been playing an acoustic guitar the past couple years and I'm looking into getting my first electric guitar. I have a nice digital camera (Sony 14.1 MP - $200 at Best Buy) that I never use that I'm trying to swap on Craigslist for one. Anyways, I have a couple guys I'm talking to, one's offering me a Squier with a small amp and a bunch of accessories that pretty much gives me everything I need to get started. But another guy is offering me a Fender Stratocaster... which would be awesome, even though I'd still have to find everything else to go along with it, if it's legit...

So anyways, the guy has been pretty vague saying he doesn't know anything about the guitar, even where it was made. He doesn't have the cord for it and says it needs new strings, but other than that it's good as new and it's just been sitting in his basement, not being used. And all he's been able to give me is this fuzzy picture of it:

Pic of Possible Stratocaster

So what do you guys think? Think it's a knock off? Sounds too scuzzy for me and I'm thinking it'd be better to take the deal with the Squier and amp, etc.

I would ask to see it first before buying or trading for it. I can't tell if it is a real Stratocaster or if it is knock off by the picture that is provided.

Quick edit I think it says stratocaster on the top of the guitar. It should say Fender I believe and not stratocaster on it.

I can't tell what kind of guitar that is. . .the picture is too fuzzy, as is my own knowledge of all things Stratocaster.

I just know that 1000 years ago, when I played guitar, I didn't like playing the Strat, and prefered the sound, feel and balance of a Telecaster, and of an old Gretsch knockoff that I had.

I guess the point is, I wouldn't base my decision solely on whether this guitar is authentic or not. How is the action? Does it need any work? How long before you can afford the amp and cord?

Does the trading partner even own the Strat to have the right to trade it?

I wouldn't deal for it for lots of reasons.

It's a Squire Strat. I know very little about Guitars, but about 10 years ago my dad went on a guitar kick and now has a couple of Fender Strats sitting around. If you look at the image you posted full size, you can kind of make out the Squire on the head. It looks like this picture... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stratocaster_machine_head_DSC06936.jpg

I don't think that's a real Fender. The logo on the headstock is wrong, though the shape of the headstock matches a real Fender. I believe it is a "Squier by Fender Stratocaster", like in this picture:

http://www.mrcmusic.com/Squier%20std%20strat%20headstock.JPG

If you can get the serial number from the seller (should be somewhere on the neck or headstock), you can check it on Fender's website (IIRC).

I own two Fender basses made in USA, so I'm no expert, but know a bit about Fender guitars. The other thing you have to worry about is you can print knock-off Fender stickers.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Awesome, thanks everyone! The guy lives about an hour from me, so I'm not even going to bother to meet up with him.

Any thoughts on brands/models to keep an eye open for or to avoid? Looks like a lot of Squiers and Ibanez Gios out there in my price range. I also got an offer for a Dean EVO XM.

I asked my 16 year old, an avid guitarist, and this was his advice. Go to Guitar Center and play everything, see what fits you. He has a Gibson and an Epiphone Les Paul (which he is getting rid of in favor of a Gretsch Stump model), and detests Fender Strats. Says he can't stand playing them, much like an earlier poster stated, he prefers the Telecaster if it has to be Fender. Apparently a lot depends on what kind of music you like to play. I've been told Ibanez are more for the Metal crowd, but not sure if that is just his opinion. He has a Fender acoustic, but doesn't like it because he says you have to push the strings down too far. I'm not sure what that means, maybe it means something to you!

If you're looking for something in the $200 range, I would definitely go used. When it comes to music gear, you get so much more bang for your buck buying used versus new.

The advice about going to Guitar Center and just trying stuff out is good. Don't let the sales people pressure you into buying. You can generally get better deals online or at the "mom and pop" shops than at Guitar Center anyway. Don't get obsessed about what brands are better than another, either. Some people love Fender, some hate 'em. Same with any brand. Chances are that if this is your first electric, you aren't going to be playing it for years and years anyway. You'll eventually probably want to upgrade to something better and use your first one as a backup.

Just my two cents.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I've been told Ibanez are more for the Metal crowd, but not sure if that is just his opinion. He has a Fender acoustic, but doesn't like it because he says you have to push the strings down too far. I'm not sure what that means, maybe it means something to you!
I have an Ibanez and the only thing I play on it is Metal. When I feel like playing some Blues or some classic rock I use my Epiphone. The Ibanez really is a Metal only guitar I have a hard time tuning it for anything else but Metal.

Archived