Brewer Fanatic

Should I switch to an electric razor?

Schlitz001

The price for a 10 pack of Mach 3 turbo blades goes up every time I go to the store. I think I paid around $25 last time. It seems like I spend more on razor blades than on gasoline. The problem is that I like my Gillette Mach 3 way too much. I have been using the same handle that Gillette mailed me for free on my 16th birthday over 10 years ago. I have unsuccessfully tried cheaper brands and have even used my blades way longer than I should, but nothing beats a fresh Mach 3 blade.

My question is if I should take the plunge and buy a high end electric razor? Will electric provide a really close shave like the Gillette? My facial hair grows in fairly thin and somewhat patchy, and I wonder if electric would be good for me. Is there a model people like? Is it worth it monetarily, or will it need to be replaced also?

The problem is that I like my Gillette Mach 3 way too much.

I'm only somewhat embarrassed to admit that, in high school, my friends & I came up with a Sammy-Sosa-esque hand salute in honor of our beloved Mach 3 razors. I still use the Mach 3.

For me, I swear the blades shave best on their second, and not first, use.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Good topic... I've thought about making the switch myself. My facial hair is thin and patchy too... but I really like how close I can shave with my Gillette Fusion Power (the orange one that uses a AAA battery to make it vibrate).

I only shave twice a week... and I'd say I use a new blade every month or so. By the end of the month it just starts to feel like I'm tugging at the hair a bit and I have to change the blade. I only have to buy a 4-pack of blades about 3 times a year... but it kills me every time to fork out that much dough for it.

One small tip that you may already know. To make your blades last long, dry them off with a towel after use and keep them in a dry place. It increases their life by at least a couple weeks. Also, if you really want to make them last, blow-dry them with a hair dryer after use.

I've used a Norelco rechargeable for the last 10 years at least. Mine is the one that has the Nivea shaving lotion goop for a real close shave. I love it. Probably would never go back to blades again. Mostly because I can shave in the shower and save some time every morning.

With mine I can buy replacement blades for about $50, but I've only had to do it once over the years. I'm satisfied with the shave I get, but others probably switch once a year (or even more often).

I've never used a microscreen razor (like a Remington) so I can't comment on those.

Be forewarned, however. When you first switch to an electric razor, it takes your face about a week to adjust to the change. So you might be disappointed and think you wasted your money. But be patient as it does indeed work.

Good topic, by the way.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

There are fewer ways to dull a razor more than doing your head. I have tried doing my face after doing my head with a Fusion, and it tugged and pulled, and had to get rid of the blade.

I usually use a Fusion until it's fairly worn, and then do the Stone Cold Steve Austin. I get about three weeks out of a blade doing a daily face folowed by a head at the end.

And then the cycle begins anew.

Can't believe I logged my 1500th post on that one. . .alas.

I used to have a nice Norelco but I must have left it on top of (instead of inside) my locker at the health club one day. Losing a $250 shaver turned me back onto using blades and I've been using Mach 3s happily since then. You tend to get a closer shave with blades anyway (or I do, at least). Blades are annoyingly expensive in bulk but if you lose one, it doesn't really matter. That's not the case with a shaver.

I still use the Schick Tracer razer I got free 20+ years ago. I know, 2 blades was back in the stone age, but it still works for me and I'm too cheap to go with a newer razer with more expensive blades.

I have always used an electric razor. Every time I have tried to use a manual razor, I have gotten a rash, especially around my neck. I also think "manual" razors are a pain in the butt. I don't want to spend more than 2 minutes shaving every day.

I'm currently using a Phillips-Norelco (that's what I usually buy) that I have had for about 3 (?) years. I don't know the model number, but I usually purchase one of the more expensive ones ($90+) when I shop for a new electric razor. I never maintain the electric razor the way it supposed to be maintained. I don't clean it and I never change the blades.

I'm not a model. I've been happily married for 17 years and I am not trying to pick up women. I'm not on TV or any other profession that requires a baby smooth shave. I don't meet with clients. I have never had an employer tell me that I need to pay more attention to my appearance or that I need to do a better job shaving. My razor does a good enough job for me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

my beard comes in so fast and thick that i really can't use straight razors. maybe if you're thinking of switching, you could use an electric as general-purpose and go to the straight razor for the occasional time you really want to be clean-cut. i can't get an electric shave super-close, but it does the trick for work and whatnot. en electric is certainly not that precise around the sideburns, but i just use a trimmer now and again for that.

My skin is fairly sensitive, and I used to always get small nicks with a straight razor, no matter how careful I was. I honestly think electrics don't do quite as good a job, but they come close. I've also found splashing on some "Lectric Shave" right before I shave helps a lot.

I usually keep my electrics for 4-5 years and then buy a new one. You can clean out heads without spending money on a replacement.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Thanks for all of the tips.

I want to be clean cut every morning. I AM trying to pick up women and I feel more confident knowing my face is baby bottom smooth. I can't believe it never occurred to me to thoroughly dry off my blades after shaving. I'm going to give that a shot and see if I can get a few extra days out of them. If that doesn't do it I'm going to move on to a cheap electric and see what kind of a shave it gives me.

an electric would at least give you the option of a quick 15 second shave before you head out the door just to get rid of the shadow. before a date is the only time i've felt my electric just wasn't good enough. but then i guess an imperfect shave is better than razor cuts.

Archived