Brewer Fanatic

Rule 5 thread -- Latest: Rosario back to Brewers, Egan to Orioles

Mass Haas
I would assume that a team or three might see Farris as a decent 25th man...play some 2B, PR, PH...if a team has a good veteran infield, Eric would fit in nicely on many benches just to PR often. Meanwhile, Green is not athletic, so could only be used as a PH, for the most part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this link on Egan.

He's 6'7, throws a four seamer, change, sinker, and sinker-slider hybrid. Can't find his velocity at this point.

Here is his fangraphs stat page.

Edit: According to this Orioles forum, he gets up to 93 MPH, but usually sits in the 90-92 mph range. It's his sink and movement that make him effective. He seems quite similar to Kameron Loe.

Follow me on Twitter

I know the Orioles lack pitching but what are the chances they'll keep a 21 year old pitcher (Rosario) that hasn't pitched above low A ball? More likely is he'll end up back with the Brewers or used as part of a deal down the road.

Egan? Have to consider him just a guy they are taking a flyer on to see what he has in spring. I don't see him making the roster.

I'll need to look at an older media guide, but since Adrian Rosario did not pitch in 2006, the year that he signed, we had thought for sure that he had signed a 2007 contract. That is so often the case in the signings of young Latinos.

But unfortunately, he must have signed a 2006 contract, and thus has five years of pro ball experience, not four.

So Rosario was not included in our list kicking off this thread among the eligibles.

Earlier this week, somewhere on our forums, was a link to a blogger who listed all the draft-eligibles. Can someone help us find that again? I'm curious to see if he listed Rosario as well.

His inclusion on the list would have probably led to some conjecture about him on our part prior to the draft.

Apologies for missing that tough one...

I found this link on Egan.

He's 6'7, throws a four seamer, change, sinker, and sinker-slider hybrid. Can't find his velocity at this point.

Here is his fangraphs stat page.

Edit: According to this Orioles forum, he gets up to 93 MPH, but usually sits in the 90-92 mph range. It's his sink and movement that make him effective. He seems quite similar to Kameron Loe.

He does sound quite similar to Loe. Anytime I hear the adjective "herky-jerky" describing someone's delivery, the letters DL come to mind.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Steve Melewski/MASNsports.com

Right-hander Pat Egan began today as a minor league pitcher in the O's organization. But after being taken in the Rule 5 draft, he is now on the Milwaukee Brewers' major league roster.

"I'm still trying to piece it all together," Egan said by phone moments ago. "It's kind of surreal right now. I've been getting a lot of calls and texts and I'm just trying to get a grip on it right now. I knew it was a possibility, but there is a whole different feeling when you are taken. It is starting to sink in that I have the chance to make a major league roster.It's a great opportunity and I am real excited."

Egan pitched at Bowie and Norfolk this year, going a combined 7-2, 3.44 in 49 games. He pitches with velocity in the low 90s, but the sink on his pitches may be one big reason why the Brewers nabbed him. He had a 2.64 ratio of grounders to fly balls this year.

"(Milwaukee's) assistant GM called and said a quick hello. He told me about the process and what will happen in spring training and their strength and conditioning program and so forth," Egan said.

Egan admits his emotions are a bit of blur today. He could be gone from the O's organization for good if things work out the way he hopes with Milwaukee.

"I would have loved to have been protected by the O's," he said. "They gave me my first opportunity, but I didn't get protected, so maybe this will work out the best for me."

Egan was a starting pitcher for his first two seasons in the O's organization, but has pitched mostly in the bullpen the past two years.

"Moving from the starting rotation to the pen really suited me. Plus, I tried to work hard with each pitching coach I had and pick their brain and just be consistent and keep working hard," Egan said.

Egan just finished a stint in the Arizona Fall League and threw well there, going 0-1, 2.13 in 10 games with Scottsdale.

Not to bury the lead, but maybe this is the best part of his story. The Orioles, and scout Keith Connolly, drafted Egan in the 36th round out of Quinnipiac University in 2006. The tall right-hander had to overcome long odds to even get good enough to be taken in this draft today. There were 1,074 players selected ahead of him in that draft four years ago.

"I try to use everything I learn as motivation," Egan said. "Being taken in the 36th round, sometimes you feel like you are just filler for an organization. I always felt like I had something to prove and it motivated me. I tried to use it that way each year."

The odds are probably good that Egan will be offered back to the Orioles at some point next year. Maybe he won't; he could be that rare Rule 5 draft pick that sticks.

Either way, you have to feel real good for him right now, coming from Round 36 to today. Yes, today is a good day at the Egan house.

Kevin Goldstein on Rosario and Egan:

Orioles: Adrian Rosario, RHP (from Brewers): Long-limbed and projectable relief type with impressive stuff; but also a player who had trouble throwing strikes in Low-A.

Brewers: Patrick Egan, RHP (from Orioles): With the combination of a six-foot-eight frame and fantastic sink, he's put up some ridiculous ground ball rates, but an inability to miss bats gives some scouts pause as to his ability to succeed in the big leagues.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Of course, the article fails to talk about Egan, who might have a lower ceiling, but more likely to stick at the MLB level.... So in terms of probability:

- 50% chance Egan makes the Brewers

- 5% chance Rosario makes the Orioles.

Does anyone think the Brewers and the O's could/should just make this a player for player swap, taking the 25 man roster part out of the equation? I mean Egan could turn out to be a flop, but I've never heard much about Rosario-- good, bad, or otherwise. In this scenario both pitchers would be able to be optioned to the minors correct?

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Does anyone think the Brewers and the O's could/should just make this a player for player swap, taking the 25 man roster part out of the equation? I mean Egan could turn out to be a flop, but I've never heard much about Rosario-- good, bad, or otherwise. In this scenario both pitchers would be able to be optioned to the minors correct?
From an earlier post:

Much thanks to the Rapids, the Rattlers, and Noah at BrewCrewBall (hat tip) -- how cool is

of every out of the Jake Odorizzi / Adrian Rosario no-hitter?

Go to the 04:55 minute mark to see Rosario's three outs, although it's a blast watching the whole video again, even with Jake in K.C.'s system now.

Rosario will still be just 21 all of next season. I'm sure the Brewers can't wait to get him back in their fold. If you're suggesting a deal in which the Brewers get to keep Egan and the Orioles keep Rosario, I personally wouldn't make that deal just based on Rosario's upside.

docduany, are you suggesting the Brewers take back Rosario in a trade for Egan now? Wait until spring, see how Egan looks, and then suggest such a deal. Rosario's going to have to be on the 40-man roster regardless if the Brewers do take him back. Should Egan somehow stick (less than 50%, I'd imagine), you may end up with both.

Archived