Brewer Fanatic

voting open for top 3 moments in club history

patrickgpe

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102166564.html

to me it seems like a simple decision.

#1 Ryan Braun's wild card clinching home run

#2 Cecil Coppers game winning ALCS hit.

#3 Dale Svuem's Easter Sunday Miracle.

If i had a 4th choice I'd go with Robin's 3000th hit, but doesn't get to go on the top 3 because we all knew he'd do it, it was just when.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102166564.html

to me it seems like a simple decision.

#1 Ryan Braun's wild card clinching home run

#2 Cecil Coppers game winning ALCS hit.

#3 Dale Svuem's Easter Sunday Miracle.

If i had a 4th choice I'd go with Robin's 3000th hit, but doesn't get to go on the top 3 because we all knew he'd do it, it was just when.

Outside of switching 1 and 2, I would agree with you. Yount's 3,000th would be 4th and his catch to preserve Nieves' no hitter would be 5th.

Yount 3,000 not included makes sense based on the above explination. No hitter is a big one. But why no CC? Seems like he was as big a part of that stretch (maybe on a more consistant basis) than one Braun HR. Might be hard to have 2 from one short time frame, but when you haven't been there in 26 years it is pretty big.

That 9/28/08 game should almost be considered one "moment".

Definitely. Feel free to flip-flop numbers 3 and 9 below. Had they been combined, I might have been inclined to put the "moment" at #2. Still, I dunno. When clinching a Wild Card qualifies as #2 over a 40-year history, something tells me that we don't have enough cool "moments."

1. Cecil Cooper’s winning hit in Game 5 of 1982 ALCS (October 10, 1982)
  2. Robin Yount’s 3,000th career hit (September 9, 1992)
  3. Ryan Braun’s two-run home run in 2008 Wild-Card clinching victory (September 28, 2008)
  4. Robin Yount becomes first player wearing a Brewers cap to be inducted into Hall of Fame (July 25, 1999)
  5. Dale Sveum’s Team Streak Easter Sunday walk-off home run (April 19, 1987)
  6. Juan Nieves’ no-hitter at Baltimore (April 15, 1987)
  7. Closing of County Stadium (September 28, 2000)
  8. First game in Milwaukee Brewers history (April 7, 1970)
  9. CC Sabathia’s complete-game performance in 2008 Wild Card-clinching victory (September 28, 2008)
  10. Brewers set American League Record with 31 hits in 22-2 win over Toronto (August 28, 1992)
  11. Robin Yount’s Major League debut (April 5, 1974)
  12. Hank Aaron’s 755th home run (July 20, 1976)
I put Hank Aaron's 755th last because nobody knew at the time that it would be his final homer. The same thing could have been said had he hit the homer in late September, but geez, this was in the middle of July. Better Aaron choices might have been his joining the team in 1975 (which was a "moment") or the trade to acquire him in 1974 (which wasn't).

While the Sveum and Nieves moments are much more distinct than the Sabathia and Braun moments, imagine this being part of the list: "Brewers set American League Record and tie Major League record by opening the 1987 season with 13 straight wins." Because they kind of go hand in hand, I think I may have ranked them a bit high.

Of course, as with any kind of ranking, the ones in the middle are the toughest. They could easily be switched around.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I am surprised no one has said, opening day 1980 vs boston, when sixto hit a walk off grand slam to win it.

I was there! Wasn't there also some other grand slams on opening day around that time (1978, 79, and/or 81). For some reason I seem to remember two grand slams in one inning or one game (I think Don Money had one of them?). Or possibly it was the game after that opening day in 1980...I seem to remember it also being against Boston.

edit: Ok, just looked it up on retrosheet. It was game 2 of 1980. 2nd inning, two grand slams, one by Cooper and one by Money. They won 18-1.

edit #2. Oh, and Lezcano also had a granny in the 7th inning of opening day 1978.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived