Brewer Fanatic

Jeffress' role next year and beyond

jjkoestler

PrinceEatMeat posed the question in an IGT of Jeffress' role with the Brewers going forward. Where will Jeffress be next year? 2012 and beyond?

I'd love to see him in the pen and making the occasional spot start next year and then becoming a full time starter if all goes well, but I'm not sure how realistic that is at this point.

Thoughts?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

They need to get him in the majors as soon as they can so if he gets busted again he isn't out of the game for good. Pretty silly that the rules work that way but whatever.

He's on the 40, so they can't test him for pot anymore. The Brewers need him to start if he can. They have a good young cheap closer, so they don't need to waste Jefress in a set up role. A flame throwing starter with a good curve and control would be a big help. As long as he can stay focused on the right things, I want him to be a starter at AAA for a couple of months and then get called up.

I posted this in the other thread, so bear with me for repeating. While he would have value in the pen for sure (just think of a pen with Axford, Jeffress and Braddock), unless the Brewers solve their rotation problems, whoever they have out there eventually is going to wear down, lose effectiveness or end up being used in too many lost games. I also believe it's a lot easier finding relievers than it is starters.

Not only do the Brewers have an asset in Jeffress, they also have one in Braddock. I think the maximum reward scenario is if one or both turn back into starters. So why not use 2011 to transition both back into starters by having them share a rotation spot, either by piggybacking them or rotating them?

Parra, if he's still around could be of value in long relief of either too.

It'll never happen. It's "out of the box thinking" and Melvin is not an out of the box thinker.

Basically, I think the Brewers will convert him right back into a starter just based on need. I held the belief a few days ago that he'd be in the 2011 bullpen and the 2012 rotation. Then I heard DM interviewed on 1250 the other day, and his comments made it seem like they might start stretching him out in the AFL. I think that they might try to get him into the 2011 rotation, but he'll likely go to AAA to start out.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Then I heard DM interviewed on 1250 the other day, and his comments made it seem like they might start stretching him out in the AFL. I think that they might try to get him into the 2011 rotation, but he'll likely go to AAA to start out.
I woudln't mind either of those scenarios you mentioned playing out. If he fails as a starter, it's not too hard switching him back to the bullpen.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Not only do the Brewers have an asset in Jeffress, they also have one in Braddock. I think the maximum reward scenario is if one or both turn back into starters. So why not use 2011 to transition both back into starters by having them share a rotation spot, either by piggybacking them or rotating them?
That could work well. I like the idea of rotating them every other time through the rotation. Each could pitch in relief a bit on the time around in which he isn't starting. Seems like a good way to limit innings while still maximizing value and building up their arms for the future.

I agree that it will never happen.

If they don't return him to starting I might just pick a new team to follow. When you're biggest problem, a problem so big that it has ruined each of the past few seasons, is so blaringly obvious, how can you even justify keeping a potential ace in the bullpen? They already moved on potential #2 to the pen in Braddock. How can it even be an option? The guy has a good half season in the bullpen so you change your entire plans for him? No wonder this team can't develop their own starting pitching.

I agree with JB. Braddock has shown he can succeed in the pen. If he wants to, let him go back to starting next season in AAA. Start Jefferess in Huntsville and assuming he succeeds, move him up after 2 months. Then, even though 2011 may still be a lost season, by 2012 you are going to have four new, young, and cheap options for the rotation in Rivas, Rogers, Gallardo, and Jeffress. Peralta and Scarpetta not far behind. And now you are going somewhere.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not understanding two things:

1) Why are people so panicked about Jeffress' role. The Brewers have never given any indication of keeping him in the pen. I thought it was a great idea to put him in the pen after his suspension. It was part way through the season and was a good way to work him back into some innings and work him back into pitching shape.

I'm sure he will be a SP at AAA next year (Rivas, Rogers, and Jeffress: Nashville could miss us...).

2) People insisting on returning Braddock as a starter. Yes, I understand his talent and our need for SPs. But just looking at him and his history:

- He has never pitched more than 72 innings in a season.

- He had only one successful season as an SP and that was in A-ball. (2007 - 2006 and 2008 were not great results)

- He has had several arm injuries/problems..

Lets just be happy he made it as an RP and hope he remains healthy. I think trying to push him back to a starter is asking for trouble with him.

Braddock's and Jeffress' situations are very, very different...

Plus Braddock has been handled with kid gloves in the bullpen this year and has still had a couple sore/dead arm issues. Braddock in the rotation is just a pipe dream at this point it would seem.

If they really wanted to think outside the box and go for a piggyback with Jeffress the ideal partner is Rogers. They could both go through the order a couple times, get 3-5 IP each and both be ready to go full time in 2012, hopefully along with Odorizzi. Now who's dreaming?

It would be nice if they let him start about four months of next season in AA/AAA, and then use him out of the major league pen during Aug/Sept to keep his innings down. Get him around 140.

Then he would be in line for a rotation spot to open the 2012 season.

Archived