Brewer Fanatic

Fish-Nats fight / Nyjer Morgan

Still--that's not the point here. The point is that they threw at him once, then threw at him AGAIN in the same game. And he didn't even do anything wrong to the Marlins themselves. That's bush league on their part, and I don't blame him at all for charging.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morgan's actions probably look a little extreme to Brewers fans. After all, when someone on the Brewers gets drilled intentionally, they put their head down to jog to first base, and then let their manager call the league office and whine- I think the National League did eventually put the Braves on Double Secret Probation after all.

It would be nice to see one of the Brewers take a similar action to Morgan if warranted.

8 games suspension for Morgan for charging the mound. Just once I'd like to see a pitcher who hits a guy in the head on purpose get nicked for a 35-40 game suspension (8 starts). That will never happen...so Nyger Please! take your medicine and head to first.

Here is a USA Today link that supports pretendastronaut's statement that two suspensions potentially apply: the original 7-gamer (which has been appealed by Nyjer) for throwing a ball into the stands and hitting a fan, and the new 8-gamer for the more recent on-field incidents.

I agree that some of the on-field incidents are relatively arguable, re: whether they are "just part of baseball" or worthy of discipline. The frequency of incidents - and, for me, especially the throwing a ball at a fan - make the whole enchilada hard to write off.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The posturing when he was leaving the field spoke volumes, I thought. Sure, the Marlins were culpable in the brawl, but the hit on Anderson, thrown ball at the heckler and spiked glove incident kinda dilute his case as a good guy done wrong.

I 100% agree on the stupid "you can't try to steal bases when you are well behind" unwritten rule. His motivation towards stealing might have been more "screw you, Marlins" than "I'll do whatever I have to do to help my team win", but I don't see the problem in stealing in that situation, in principle.

I thought the unwritten rule was that, if a team hits you, try to steal a base and make it cost them a run.

Guess my unwritten rulebook needs a re-unwrite.

Really have no problem with what Morgan did in the Marlins series (while not watching/paying attention to the other incidents). If Volstad doesn't have enough control to hit Morgan a second time in the game with the first pitch....and throws it behind him, I can't fault him for not wanting to stand in there and actually get hit a second time before doing something about it. If more players were willing to risk a suspension like Morgan did, it would at least give pitchers second thoughts about intentionally dotting a guy. (Even if you have a size advantage...who knows what can happen at the bottom of the pile.)

Don't want him on the Brewers, unless his OBP can get back into .360 territory, and to be honest I'm surprised at how few MLB ABs he has at age 30, but I can't fault him for this one.

It also probably would have helped if the unpire immediately tossed the pitcher out when the pitch went behind Morgan. Morgan took a second before charging, and I'd bet that if the ump had yelled "you're outta here," no fight would've occurred.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It also probably would have helped if the unpire immediately tossed the pitcher out when the pitch went behind Morgan. Morgan took a second before charging, and I'd bet that if the ump had yelled "you're outta here," no fight would've occurred.
If you watch the ump he tosses the pitcher as soon as the ball goes behind Morgan.

Archived