Brewer Fanatic

Fish-Nats fight / Nyjer Morgan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if this happened to Prince instead of Morgan would people feel the same way? He laid out the catcher on a play where he probably didn't think the ball was coming home. You can say he should have slid, but by the time the ball was in his vision he was maybe 3 steps from home plate and laid the boom instead.

If Prince was thrown at intentionally twice in one game and he charged the mound. I doubt many people on this board would have a problem with it. Also I realize he stole 2 bases after he was hit the first time, but if you don't want a guy to steal hold him on base. Teams come back from large deficits all of the time. Whatever the reason if this happened twice to a Brewer in the same game many would be applauding him charging the mound as it doesn't seem as the pitchers retaliate enough. If anyone got in a cheap shot it was the first player of the Marlin's bench that close lined him and the catcher throwing punches as he was getting mobbed.

EDIT: To clarify my point, Morgan has wheels. I don't think he had time during that play to think " I am safe if I slide, or could be out but have a chance to steamroll this guy, so let's separate this guys shoulder."

Guy's clearly got some anger issues. But...I have nothing against what he did tonight.

OMG. He stole 2 bases when his team was down by 11. (Wound up scoring on shallow popup) Let's beam him again. I could see being ticked off if the Marlins were down big, but cripes, teams have to stop throwing 95 mph fastballs at people and assume that guys are just gonna continue to take it.

I have no problem with what Morgan did after getting hit the second time.

He stole 2 bases down 11. IT WAS THE 4TH INNING. How dare him try to steal after we threw at him. What should we do? Lets throw at him again!! The Marlins should not of thrown at him the second time. Or they should of thrown him out trying to steal the first time.

This MLB.com game recap from Aug. 28th includes Morgan running into the Cards' catcher. It's at roughly the 1:50 mark.
Would you care to add more to the conversation? So he threw an elbow earlier in the week. Here is Prince charging the Dodgers loccker room.

Within 5 more minutes of looking I am sure I could find something that he did in the preceding week of this event to tick of a team. At the end of the day the Marlins took not one but two opportunities to possibly end his career.

"Anyway he got clocked with a huge clothesline after a rather futile,

weak punch to Volstad's face so it didn't seem to be the smartest

response."

If by clocked you mean blindsided with a cheapshot you are correct. Watch the video the entire team piled on him and basically gouged out his eyes.

Gaby Sanchez busted out a clothesline John Bradshaw Layfield could be proud of. For a guy who looks so happy in his scoreboard photos, Nyjer has some anger issues. Don't forget when he spiked his glove earlier this year after not catching a possible home run, allowing an inside-the-park home run because he wasn't paying attention.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

The Marlins were stupid to throw at him once (when he proceeded to steal his way around the bases, like any major leaguer with the ability should have done) and were stupid to throw at him again. Morgan should have happily taken his base. Instead, he charges the mound, which should probably be reserved only for throws at the head, if ever.

Both parties were stupid.

EDIT: And going back to look at the home plate incident that started things with the Marlins, I'm not totally sure I fault Morgan there. It's not like he's watching the throw come to the plate... he had to decide when he was 10 feet up the baseline whether to slide or truck, and even with that excuse card to play, he might have choose the right one. He doesn't look safe beyond doubt if he had slid.

The Marlin's showed they were displeased with his actions and hit him. Hitting him the second time is just foolish. How many times do you plunk the clown? Five? Let it go.

Morgan looked like a clown when he was walking off the field. Why are you raising your arms in the air after you got pummeled? Makes no sense to me.

I liked the reaction of Gaby Sanchez after he got beaned. He had to know it was coming and he just jogged to first. Not a lot to like here.

J Brew

The Marlins were stupid to throw at him once (when he proceeded to steal his way around the bases, like any major leaguer with the ability should have done) and were stupid to throw at him again. Morgan should have happily taken his base. Instead, he charges the mound, which should probably be reserved only for throws at the head, if ever.
Have to disagree here. He should have happily taken his base the first time, which he did. Getting thrown at a second time was overkill. I'd probably have done the same thing.

Have to disagree here. He should have happily taken his base the first time, which he did. Getting thrown at a second time was overkill. I'd probably have done the same thing.
Why? What did it accomplish? Getting yourself kicked out of the game for a few days.

I guess I misunderstand the unwritten rules. Stealing when your team is up by 10 (or whatever) runs? Yeah, that's bush league. But you're not allowed to steal when you're losing in a blowout? It might be strategically foolish, but I can't blame Morgan for playing hard and trying to get his team some more runs. Besides, MLB has seen a bunch of massive comebacks recently, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Nats could have climbed back into the game because of his effort. (Well, ok, it's the Nats, so we're talking hypothetically here.)

If that's why they threw at him the second time, I can understand why he charged the mound. But it's not like feel bad for the guy for getting his rear end kicked. You can't expect strict adherence to Marquis of Queensbury rules out there.

The most indefensible thing in all of this is the hit Morgan put on Anderson during the Cards game. I can't remember seeing a cheaper shot in baseball.

I just saw this thing unfold on Sportscenter, so I'll give my two cents.

First, railroading the catcher the night before was the best way to score the run. He would have for sure been out without railroading, so what the heck is wrong with it? That's baseball.

Like others, I have no clue what is wrong with stealing two bases when your team is DOWN by 11 runs. That's ridiculous. He got beamed and was trying to help his team get back into the game.

If there was ever a time to go crazy and charge the mound, this was it. Sure, he would have just been better off walking down the line staring at Volstad, but it has to be pretty hard to restrain yourself here.

As an interesting aside, Morgan actually played seven games for the Regina Pats of the Western Hockey League when he was 19 years old, scoring two goals and drawing 20 penalty minutes. This team also included future NHL Calder Trophy winner Barret Jackman and NHL'er Filip Novak.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/...s/pdisplay.php?pid=67848

I agree Nyjer was right in charging the mound. Boo-hoo, he stole two bases after getting hit. At least he was out there playing hard.

Also, I was a big fan of his form after the pitch thrown behind him. He sold it perfectly prior to charging towards the mound.

The only issue I have is his stupid jump punch. After all the buildup he kinda wussed out by not getting a good punch in there.

You guys realize that he doesn't get awarded first base when a pitch is thrown behind him, right? He would've had to go back into the box to have the pitcher throw at him again.

Rickie Weeks and Prince Fielder bowl over the cathcer any chance they get. That's part of baseball, and if the catcher doesn't like it, get off the base. Beaning him once for it is probably overkill, but he took that, because he thought it would be coming. Stealing the bases is the perfect way to get back at someone for beaning you, so I applaud him for that. The Marlins seem to be making an attempt to be the Cardinals of the South. "We know the unwritten rules, so whatever we do is right, and don't dare doubt anything we say."

The biggest thing I get out of this is that we should make a big effort to get Pat Listach as our manager next season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Morgan is now one of my favorite players. I loved every part of Morgan did except when he was leaving the field. If the Marlins have a problem with Morgan stealing bases when they are winning, then throw the guy out. I think Morgan waited to see if the catcher was going to get the ball before charging the mound, not like he was going to be caught anyway.

I think sliding would have been a better play, though, just in terms of touching the plate without getting tagged. The throw was high; he would have been better off going low and around. But it was probably a split-second thing -- he thought that he would have to bowl him over, and just went for it.

Archived