Brewer Fanatic

Skip Bayless: "Yost dumb?"

Sundown Kid
Skip Bayless and the another panelist were discussing how the Brewers will approach Bonds this weekend. Bayless said that the Brewers should avoid pitching to Bonds whenever possible, especially with Benji Molina providing protection. When it was pointed out to Bayless that Ned Yost has said that Bonds will be pitched to, Bayless said "Ned Yost always says that, and that's dumb." I'm no Skip Bayless fan, but I was kind of thinking the same thing he was.

Anything that comes out of Skip Brainless is totally irrelevant. Yost will manage to win the game. To expect anything different is dumb, hence you get Skip Brainless. If one is dumb and the other smart, I'll pick the person who is a leader, and has to have their moves questioned everyday as opposed to the goof who's job is to sit back and question with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

What Ned said - in direct response to a question about pitching to him or not pitching to him as it related to him breaking the HR record - was that they are leading a division, they are going to try to win the game, and they will pitch to him as the situation dictates - if he is in a position to hurt them, they may not give him anything to hit. Translation: "I don't give a rip about his stupid HR number, I care about winning the game." Ned is on the money. Bayless is a dope.

He isn't the same hitter he was 3 years ago. He has only 64 hits, but has walked 95 times. 30 of his 95 walks were IBB. Almost 20% of the time he has gotten on was a free pass. I think it is appropriate to take that into consideration. He has stats comparable to Chipper Jones, Maglio Ordonez, and Miguel Cabrera. I don't think Yost drastically changed his approach with those guys so I don't see how Bonds should be any different. I personally think Bonds is pitched to more on past years performance more than how he is playing now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Why you don't pitch to Bonds?

3-3, 2HR and 6 RBI yesterday.

No one else in that lineup is even a remote threat to produce the way Bonds can.

Admittedly, he's much worse than he was a couple years ago, but he's still a god compared to everyone else in the Giants dreadful lineup (seriously... thank you Brian Roberts for not signing here this year)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Ned can do whatever he wants, since so many forget that the ballclub in Milwaukee, Wisconsin is inconveniently, in first place, and their manager must do what it takes to keep winning.

I think it will become a moot point anyway, as Bonds will probably get only 3-5 plate appearances all weekend.

He SAYS he doesn't care, and he can hit anywhere ... blahblahblah, but ESPN and Fox and especially Bonds himself, all want # 756 to come in San Francisco, where those fans will cheer him, regardless of how many baseball rules, criminal codes, and laws of physics he continues to thumb his nose at.

ESPN and Fox desperately want to frame this moment in a cascade of cheers from those dopey Giant fans. A deafening chorus of boos as the ball sails toward the RoadRunner High-Speed Cable sign, is not the soundbite the networks want. If it came in New York? Maybe, but still, they want cheers, even if they have to do some sound-sweetening to get the effect they're looking for. So, Bonds may even hit the MUCH-less historical # 755 in Milwaukee, but he sits or draws walks, after that.

Because what George Bodenheimer and Ed Goren want from Bud....they get.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

First of all what Ned said that he will pitch to Barry based on the context of the game. There are times where it doesn't make sense to walk Barry because he is Barry and times it does.

Second of all, Barry is not the feared hitter that he once was. Id rather pitch to him than Prince, Howard, or Pujols. Just because he is close to a record doesn't mean that we should be putting runners on base, to avoid history.

I agree, he's going to do what he has to do, I think Ned cold give a damn about the HR chase and will do what he has to do. That said, he doesn't call for the intentional walk very much anyway, so we may see a few "unintentional, intentional" walks..

That show was terrible today

The woman who was on (never heard or seen here before) said Selig was not going to the Bonds game because he was black. Literally that is what she said. When Bayless asked her if she was calling Selig a racist she said no but I believe he is racially discrimating against Bonds

Yeah because Hank Aaron is white, that is why Selig doesnt like Bonds.

Sorry this was off the subject, just wanted to see if anyone else had heard this

Thanks for confirming why I haven't watched ESPN in years, especially those cheesy talk type shows. I'll listen to Homer and The D List on the radio, but after that, ESPN is a non-entity. Mike and Mike don't even hold the charm anymore.

Quote:
If it is the lady I saw she wrote this article a couple months ago.

Kobe Better than Jordan

Yeah she would be the one. Jemele Hill. Does she really have any business talking about sports? Seriously first the Selig thing then she thinks Kobe is a better player than Jordan? I think she has a brighter future has Eugene Kane's wife

As several have already said, I see no reason to not pitch to Bonds unless it makes sense in the context of the game. I don't even understand why pitchers are so freaked out by it. It's ONE HR. That's it. Your name won't forever be remembered as the guy who gave up the home run other than by a select few. I seriously can't remember who gave up McGwire's 62nd, nor Bond's 71st.

If I was a pitcher I would love to give up #756, then strike him out 2-3 more times, and have that be the only hit I give up while pitching a complete game with the final score being something like 8-1.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

It sounds like Ned is going to deal with Barry the way he always has: not fearing the solo home run.

That's a much better tack than one of the mangers (Brenly?) used a few years ago, walking Bonds in practically AB and getting 'bit in the butt' multiple times when one of his teammates would drive him in.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Quote:
That's a much better tack than one of the mangers (Brenly?) used a few years ago, walking Bonds in practically AB and getting 'bit in the butt' multiple times when one of his teammates would drive him in.

There was a time when the Diamondbacks intentionally walked Bonds with the bases already loaded in the bottom of the 9th to prevent him from hitting an extra base hit. They lucked out when the next guy lined out to end the game. I'm not sure if that happened on Brenley's watch or if that was Buck Showalter.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think it's apparent that Ned's managing of pitchers wasn't what Bayless was talking about.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived