Brewer Fanatic

Las Vegas Night life suggestions?

Patrick425

My Wife and I are going on our first vacation by ourselves in over 13 years. We are going to Las Vegas for a weekend in November. We are both in our 40's, but we still want to enjoy the nightlife there and kind of enjoy a "2nd honeymoon" ....maybe relive a little of our more "youthful" days if that is possible.

My wife likes to dance. Not really my thing, but this is somewhat of a gift to my wife for dragging her on several baseball related vacations with my son..so, whatever makes her happy. Most of what I see when researching places in LV is very hip and trendy club type places that probably only let in people with the "right look" and age (even if they did let us in, I'm not sure we would be comfortable or really "fit in"). Not really what we would be looking for. At the same time, not looking for some up scale martini bar with a piano player. Are there any nice, fun, crowded (not so crowded that you can't move) places on or near the strip that have dancing and are a bit more casual? Places where we would not feel like we could be the parents of 90% of the crowd? If they played 80's music that would be a big plus for my wife.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Not really a classy place, but there was a pretty cool cover band at Excaliber back in June. Very casual atmosphere. I'd ask the concierge when you get to the hotel, they'll usually point you in the right direction. if you get a chance go see "Love" at the Mirage I believe. Haven't seen it live, but watched a awesome documentary on it. Looks great, it's to all Beatles music. I've seen some other Cirque de Sole stuff and it was amazing. Tried to see it the last 2 times I was there and just couldn't fit it in. Great part about vegas, there's always something to do.

House of Blues (in Mandalay Bay) used to have an 80's Night during one night of the week, every week. My wife and I enjoyed it when we were there and we were in our mid 30's at that time. Cover charge was a bit steep (as were drinks, to a point) but it was a good time and not too terribly crowded.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I've always liked the Voodoo Lounge, which is on the roof of Rio. You have to cab there (it's off the strip), but the view of the strip is amazing and its inside and outside. The crowd skews a little older by Vegas dance club standards (I'm 34 and didn't feel old). The cover charge isn't bad and there isn't a "velvet rope" feel.

Plus, its right across from Palms, which is great for people watching if you want to catch some of the Young Hollywood crowd.

Studio 54 in MGM is not necessarily the early-20's ultra cool crowd - I seem to remember a mix of people there. Good dancing and entertainment. But like with any popular establishment you may have to wait in line to get in (or grease the palm of the bouncer outside), but probably not as much in November as the crowds die down after September.

There is also a Prince cover band called Purple Reign that plays in Vegas and is more for the 40-ish crowd.

I also recommend The Mix at the top of THE Hotel at Mandalay Bay - awesome view, and a decent amount of seating if you just want to sit and enjoy the view with a drink. Easier to get to than Rio and the Palms seems to be attracting a trashier crowd these days. Wasn't impressed when I went to the Palms earlier this year.

Also check the Bellagio and Pallazzo as they cater to a more mature crowd.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've always liked the Voodoo Lounge, which is on the roof of Rio. You have to cab there (it's off the strip), but the view of the strip is amazing and its inside and outside. The crowd skews a little older by Vegas dance club standards (I'm 34 and didn't feel old). The cover charge isn't bad and there isn't a "velvet rope" feel.

Plus, its right across from Palms, which is great for people watching if you want to catch some of the Young Hollywood crowd.

I'll second Voodoo lounge. Definitely skews a little older. There's an inside and an outside and as Chuckie said the view is amazing.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I will second the VooDoo Lounge, my GF and I were there in July, it was a lot of fun. We had dinner at VooDoo Steak (there was no cover charge to get into the lounge since we had dinner there). The food was excellent. The inside bar was very busy, the outside bar was kind of slow, but I think that was because it was really 100 degrees at 11pm.

Ghostbar at the Palms was also a good time both times I was there, the view from the club is great, and the section of glass floor that lets you look down 55 floors is a cool feature.

Another place I like is Carnival Court outside of Harrahs, they usually have live music, but like most other places it gets crowded on the weekends. I didn't stop here on my last trip since it was so hot out, but on past trips I would usually spend a few hours here listening to the bands, people watching and watching the flair bartenders.

Where are you staying? When we checked into the Flamingo we were given a coupon book for the Harrah's properties that had a coupon 2-for-1 entrees at VooDoo Steak and another for 2-for-1 drinks at VooDoo Lounge, I am not usually a coupon clipper, but those two coupons saved us around $60 for a few extra rounds of drinks there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we will definitly check out the VooDoo Lounge.

I was just going to ask if anyone had any comments about Carnival Court. Thanks for the info gbpdc. We are staying at MGM...perhaps we will check out Studio 54.

I'm guessing my wife will also want to visit the NYNY piano bar. She went to Vegas with some friends last year and they had a blast there. Although, I don't think it will be the same experience for her at that place with just me. Seems like more of a place that you would go as a group (especially women).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

VooDoo Lounge is good, especially the rooftop.

It's been a few years, like 4 or 5, since I was in Vegas but I liked the Shadow Bar in Ceasars to kind of chill for a while. Not huge, not overly loud, but big comfy leather chairs and coffee tables like hanging out in your own living room.

Carnival Court totally depends on the crowd. The bands are generally good, almost always cover bands that get the crowd going. Sometimes the crowd is fun, but other times it turns into a frat house. Personally, I've had a blast there at times, but I've also seen more vomit there than anywhere else in Vegas.

If you're a vodka drinker, hit Red Square in Mandalay. They have an amazing selection, many of which you can't get anywhere outside of Russia. The bar made of ice is worth the trip.

Coyote Ugly in NY NY isn't really a club, but when we were there in Feb, most of the music was current pop and 80s classic rock, and everyone was just dancing like crazy people! All those that weren't dancing on the bar, that is. Since you are right across the street in the MGM, check it out.

Oh, and I know you didn't ask about shows, but check out the Beatles Love, at the Mirage. Simply the most wonderful experience I've ever had in a theater. You'll thank me later....unless you don't like The Beatles, or Cirque!

Actually, we're doing the same thing. Not really a 2nd honeymoon, more of a getaway weekend from the kids. Any suggestions for a "classier" type of strip club? I realize that may be a contradiction in terms, but I've heard there are lots of different "levels" of strip clubs in Vegas. Any suggestions on any upper scale clubs where a 40 something couple wouldn't feel out of place?

There is also a free cover band that plays at one of the island bars near the restaurants in Mandalay Bay. They play all covers of 70s/80s rock/pop/dance stuff and it is a 40s/50s crowd. Decent free entertainment and dancing to your genre of music.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bump this. My wife and I are leaving for Vegas this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions. If there are any others, please let me know. Can anyone tell me what kind of dress code there is at these places..Voodoo Lounge, Ghostbar, The Mix, other places mentioned in this thread? Can I wear Tennis shoes? Jeans?

On the Ghostbar's website it says "Stylish nightlife attire required, NO athletic wear, shorts, tennis shoes, baseball caps, or flip flops." The VooDoo Lounge's website didn't say anything about the dress code, but I think most clubs are this way, I cannot remember whether or not I saw anyone wearing jeans when I was there.

Another place my GF and I liked was Minus 5 Ice Bar at Mandalay Bay (there is also one in the Monte Carlo). Everything in the place is made of ice, tables, seats, glasses, bar, sculptures, etc.

Thanks gbpdc. I did a little research. Sounds like Jeans are acceptable in most the places as long as they are not too bagy or torn. Tennis shoes are generally not acceptable.

Archived