Brewer Fanatic

Will Gamel's 2011 be better than LaPorta's 2010?

Crash2303

A lot of people, including myself have high hopes for Gamel next season. and with his current tear at AAA, they are seemingly becoming more possible. however, LaPorta also tore up AAA. Is LaPorta's season this year about what to realistically expect for Gamel next year? or will it be closer to Braun's rookie year?

Mat should have a much better year than LaPorta did. But I don't think he will come close to Braun's rookie season. Braun had one of the greatest rookie seasons in the history of the game. Not many were better than Ryan as a rookie (maybe Pujols, Ichiro, Lynn, McGwire, Piazza and Williams).

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

"It was a lot easier for me (in right field) than first base. It's a
lot less stressful. It's tougher than people think. First (base) ain't easy. I have a lot more respect for those guys knowing what they do."

As for the possibility of a spot being opened on the team next spring
for Gamel, he said, "Whatever they want me to do, I'll do. I've got
another option left. If (Nashville) is where they send me, I don't have
any choice.

"I'll deal with it like I do every year -- be happy I've got a job. A lot of people don't have jobs these days."

I'm really not sure how that makes him sound like a whiner. All he said was RF was easier for him than 1B.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think Gamel's swing fits better versus LaPorta's versus MLB pitching. LaPorta's is real stiff. I think the Brewers knew this when they traded him. The Indians didn't, because they don't really know anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I can't see how that's whining. Gamel wants to play 3b. I think the best solution is Hart to 1b (think of all his nagging injuries this year) and stick Gamel in RF. The other solution is something like sign Branyan/Overbay types (cheap, lefty 1b that outproduces their salary), Gamel at 3b, Hart in RF, and McGehee for a solid #2 or 3 starter

I definitely dont take it as him whining. If you listen to the video interview he did in August, you can hear him describe his struggles to play first, which is why he talks about being more comfortable in RF. The Brewers very well could move Hart back to first.

He also talks about how tough "other" people have it, with joblessness these days. Not the words of a whiner, who is being forced away from the position that will net him the highest market value in the long term for himself personally.

The target for criticism on the whining is Tom putting up the ridiculously loaded blog title to make it sound like he's whining. If he had liked him the title would have been something like Gamel working hard at learning 1st. Or Gamel has new respect for 1st.

igor67[/b]]The target for criticism on the whining is Tom putting up the ridiculously loaded blog title to make it sound like he's whining. If he had liked him the title would have been something like Gamel working hard at learning 1st. Or Gamel has new respect for 1st.

Yes, this probably belongs in the designated JS thread, but another Tom and Witrado's personal bias against a player. If you read the quotes, Mat said nothing wrong:

"It was a lot easier for me (in right field) than first base. It's a lot less stressful...."It's tougher than people think. First (base) ain't easy. I have a lot more respect for those guys knowing what they do....Whatever they want me to do, I'll do. I've got another option left. If (Nashville) is where they send me, I don't have any choice...I'll deal with it like I do every year -- be happy I've got a job. A lot of people don't have jobs these days."

In fact, he sounds like a kid ready to work hard with no sense of entitlement. How Tom spun that to make him sound like a whiner is beyond me. And look at the first 2 comments. Some fans continue to bit hook line and sinker.

If Gamel is the type of guy who is complaining about his position after he has shown he is terrible at 3rd we should just trade him now. Guys like this tend to be underachievers who whine and make excuses about everything and dont work really hard. He still has a lot of trade value now and we need pitching.

I don't think this shows Gamel as a whiner. However I do think it shows that all the people who treat Gamel, Hart and McGehee as interchangeable defensive parts are probably understating the difficulty of changing positions, especially when you are expected to play the new position at an acceptable major league level. Even though Hart hasn't played 1B in around eight years, he has played it, so our best bet barring a trade would probably be Hart at 1B, Gamel in RF, McGehee at 3B.

I think what will probably happen is one of Gamel/McGehee will be traded for pitching (in addition to Prince being traded for pitching). We will then sign one of the many FA 1B on the market, leaving Hart in RF with the remaining player of Gamel/McGehee at 3B. No one will have to change positions, our offense will remain above average with the addition of the FA 1B, and we'll have much better pitching.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Mat should have said it in a more professional manner. Knowing his demeanor and attitude, I think he was basically saying, "RF is easy, I barely have to do anything. 1B I have to remember stuff."A simple, "I'll do whatever it takes to contribute" would have been far better.

Mat should have said it in a more professional manner. Knowing his demeanor and attitude, I think he was basically saying, "RF is easy, I barely have to do anything. 1B I have to remember stuff."A simple, "I'll do whatever it takes to contribute" would have been far better.
Does saying "Whatever they want me to do, I'll do" not count?

any further argument over the supposed 'whining' should be ended right here when you read this article on it, that also has a more fair title:

But, Gamel added: "I'll play wherever they want me to play, whether it be first, right, left, third, short, second, wherever."

sounds like a team player to me. but maybe that's just what selfish, whiny players say to cover up.

Macha called him a "flake" last season, and Melvin had some comments (this past offseason, iirc) praising McGehee's work ethic so strongly that you couldn't help but read btw. the lines & see it as a comment about Gamel's relative lack thereof.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I seem to remember Randolph had Cameron take him aside too last year and talk to him about "what it takes to be a professional." To be perfectly honast though, a lot of kids need that no matter if they are working at an advertising agency or for a MLB team.

McCalvy's title "Gamel finds first base challenging" is much less slanted than TH's "Gamel not excited about 1B" - at least somebody writes it right.
Once again proving the tandem of McCalvy/Schelling for Brewers.com is way better then Haudricourt/Witrado for the JS.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived