Brewer Fanatic

Adrian Beltre

It appears the Yankees have Cliff Lee on their radar, so that pipe dream is probably over before it even really started. And with Melvin striking out on middle tier SP's, it seems that Attanasio wants his guy to switch his focus on SP thru trades. Why not use some of our freed up money on a bat?

Beltre is having a monster year with Boston (.322/.361/.549 and playing his usual good defense), and will no doubt opt out of his deal. Some might look at his numbers in Seattle and be scared away, but it appears a lot of that was hitting at Safeco.

Let's trade McG for a SP while he's still cheap, trade Fielder for another SP and move Gamel to 1B. Improved defense. Improved pitching. Offense should still be above avg.

Fangraphs speculates his Market Value : http://www.fangraphs.com/...hp/beltres-market-value/

I really think the "trade for SP, pick up FA bat" is the right way to go. Fielder is 99% certain to be gone for a SP. McGehee and Gamel both play the same position, and neither is overly good at it, and it appears that the corner OF spots are locked up for the near future. Add in that Attansio mentioned we may trade another position player for a pitcher, and it seems that one of McGehee/Gamel is likely to go.

This year, we've scored a lot of runs, but that's hinged around Fielder (likely gone) hitting for an .894 OPS, McGehee (potentially traded) hitting for an .816 OPS, Hart hitting over his head for most of the season (now at .853 OPS after pushing .900 for much of the season), Edmonds (already gone) hitting for an .843 OPS, Weeks hitting for a career year (.845 OPS) and really only Braun underperforming expectations at a steadily rising .845 OPS. To go with that, we have three likely 2011 starters in Escobar, Lucroy and Cain who could all post below-.700 OPS next year, and a "rookie" in Gamel who's performance in 2011 is hard to guess. His bat will probably be fine, but it's certainly not a given that he'll even match McGehee. To sum that up, we have five players who are performing decently at the plate (six if you include Edmonds). One of those five is 99% likely to be gone, and lots of people are calling for another (McGehee) to be traded. Losing 40% of your good offensive players is not a recipe for continued offensive success.

I'm hesitant to believe that Lucroy, Escobar, Cain and Gamel will produce enough to offset the loss of Fielder and McGehee to go along with the probable regression of Hart and the pitching staff (at the plate). I would be much more comfortable with the addition of another bat who would complement our young players and stabilize our lineup. I have been calling for Dunn or Konerko, but that wouldn't really address the defense. Beltre could be a good addition in that he should be an upgrade offensively and defensively.

If we can trade Fielder for a good young SP, and some combination of McGehee or Gamel and prospects for another good, young SP. Add Beltre or Dunn/Konerko to bolster the offense, and all fo a sudden we look like a playoff contender in 2011. It really hinges on what we could get in return for McGehee/Gamel. If the right deal's there, definitely pull the trigger.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Boras could be a good thing, as it means he'll look for the high dollar offer, without things like hometown discount, wanting to play on the West Coast, etc.

If we're still in the process of teams shedding payroll and waiting to get out of bad contracts signed during better economic times, there could be a limited market for him. Both NY teams are out of the running (Wright & A-Rod) and pitching seems to be most teams' priority right now. We'll see... first we'd need to get a good return for McGehee/Gamel, then we'll see if we can compete financially for his services. Maybe having to wait until a trade clears McGehee/Gamel will be a good thing, so that Melvin doesn't jump and show his hand too early.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Both NY teams are out of the running

That's true, but teams like BOS, LAA, PHI, CHW, STL, & DET could all conceivably get involved. I would imagine the Red Sox would want to retain his services. Another aspect to note is that Beltre's 2011 player option increases to $10M if he reaches 640 PAs on the season. He needs 111 as of today to reach that marker. If he can stay healthy & the Red Sox don't play any shenanigans with him, he should get there with one more month+ to play. If he reaches & takes that option, it's possible the Red Sox could work out a 2-yr. extension with him on top of the '11 player option.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I don't know what's bigger news, that Beltre signed this big deal, or that they have websites in the Dominican Republic. I guess I was just picturing communication through smoke signals or something. Or, possibly, pigeons.

If Beltre has signed with the Rangers, wonder what it would take to get Michael Young to be the SS for the Brewers?

He's expensive and a terrible defensive SS. So why would we want him?

He's so terrible he won a gold glove there in 2008, his last year as a SS. Seriously, Texas moved him off of SS for Andrus who's a defensive wizard. He's at least as good as Betancourt, and a lot better hitter and you'd only need him at SS for one more year, then he could move either to second to replace Weeks or first to replace Fielder.

That being said, I think the chances of him becoming a Brewer are less than 1%.

LOL at using a Gold Glove as evidence.

Got to agree with this one. Most of the gold glove winners do deserve it, but then again, Jeter won ANOTHER one last year (I think he has like 6,000 now), which takes away almost all credibility of the award.

Young makes $16 million/yr for the next three seasons (according to Cot's). I can't see the Brewers taking that on right now.
It was a thought. And, no, he's not Ozzie Smith or anything defensively, but he's better than Yuniesky.
Actually, I don't think so. We can't really know for sure because defensive stats aren't perfect and because Young hasn't played SS in 2 years, but defensive runs saved puts him at -31 during 2009 and 2010 at 3B. I don't want to say putting Young and SS is like putting Prince Fielder at SS, but at this point saying it's like putting Ryan Braun at short isn't really that far off base.

The guy isn't just "not Ozzie Smith" - he's horrible.

I would think Young's offensive numbers would still make him much more desirable than Betancourt, even with the bad defense. Still, that salary just doesn't make a deal plausible for the Brewers.
Well, if we are going to throw in offense (where Young is good and Betancourt is still awful), we may as well throw in salaries. Betancourt makes $4M and has a $2M buyout, but only costs the Brewers $3M. While it's unknown exactly how much of Young's salary we'd have to pay, him making $16M for the next 3 years makes him much less valuable than Betancourt.

Which is amazing because Betancourt is the standard for baseball futility.

Archived