Brewer Fanatic

A J Burnett?

endaround
Burnett is looking at losing his starting role with the Yankees. The Yankees almost certainly will get Lee and Pettitte may come back to up his chance at the Hall.Meaning the Yankees might be looking to move Burnett and his remaining 3 years. Now he has been terrible this year and wasn't great last year but he still throws mid 90s and a move to the NL could really help him. Not sure if the Brewers are on his no trade list (very well could be) but if the Yankees would eat say $6-8m/year of his $16.5m/year contract he may be a very good target for next season.

The worrisome thing is that he's 33 and his WHIP has steadily climbed each of the last four seasons (including this one). His SO/9 has also declined the past three years. I guess if they were willing to eat half his contract and not demanding some high end player in return (I wouldn't deal Gamel or McGehee for him), it might be worth exploring.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm all for it provided that the Yanks eat at least half of his salary. Would the Yanks have interest in Coffey, Villy, or Hawkins?

Coffey is almost certain (or should be) to be non-tendered, so his trade value is nil. Villanueva could be non-tendered too but given his age and still relatively modest likely cost, may stick around. He could be part of a deal but not a primary piece. Hawkins has zero value in the trade market.

The more of his contract the 'Crew has to pay, the less they'd trade. That's really what it comes down to.

Look at the Astros, they traded Berkman and 4 million dollars for nothing.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived