Brewer Fanatic

Do we need to look overseas for pitching?

AJAY
I'm saying most players fit the Taguchi image, small, little power, reserve types. Saito signed with LA, making the point well, they rarely sign in the Midwest.

Like I said, Japanese players are willing to play in the Midwest. Saito isn't the 1st, and won't be the last.

No, but I think the point is they're far more likely to play in a area with a higher Asian population. The Bucks ran into this issue with Yi(yes, I realize he's not from Japan).

It's one thing when they've got the posting system, then they're pretty much destined to go to those places either way, but given the choice why would a Asian player choose Milwaukee over Seattle? LAD? Boston, NYY?

Of course they WILL play in Milwaukee when they're generating little interest and are 41 years old(not to diminish how much I love this move), but we've yet to see the same interest from the better players.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The reason a few more players end up with Seattle is because their Japanese ownership heavily scouts Japan. If they prefer west coast teams, why don't any sign directly with the Angels? Simple, because they don't scout Japan. The big names might prefer cities with heavy Asian population for marketing reasons, but those aren't the bargains the Brewers should be seeking out anyway. The Brewers should be scouring Japan for pitchers like Saito, Okajima, Kawakami, and Uehara. You can't tell me that if the Brewers had offered Saito $800 K out of Japan that he'd still took the Dodgers $500 K offer. Just like American FAs, they sign with the highest bidder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The reason a few more players end up with Seattle is because their Japanese ownership heavily scouts Japan. If they prefer west coast teams, why don't any sign directly with the Angels? Simple, because they don't scout Japan. The big names might prefer cities with heavy Asian population for marketing reasons, but those aren't the bargains the Brewers should be seeking out anyway. The Brewers should be scouring Japan for pitchers like Saito, Okajima, Kawakami, and Uehara. You can't tell me that if the Brewers had offered Saito $800 K out of Japan that he'd still took the Dodgers $500 K offer. Just like American FAs, they sign with the highest bidder.

Seattle is actually almost 700 miles closer to Japan than is Los Angeles. San Francisco is about 300 miles closer.

The Brewers should be scouring Japan for pitchers like Saito, Okajima, Kawakami, and Uehara.

I don't know. I think they are better served working on other markets as they are doing now. They can't compete with teams like the Mariners, Yankees, and Red Sox in Japan.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Brewers should be scouring Japan for pitchers like Saito, Okajima, Kawakami, and Uehara.

I don't know. I think they are better served working on other markets as they are doing now. They can't compete with teams like the Mariners, Yankees, and Red Sox in Japan.

Cities that have a bigger Chinese/Japanese population. This was a big deal for Yi Jianlian when he was drafted by the Bucks. No matter what the talent level, those fresh athletes from overseas appeal most to their heritage. Then guys like Nomo and Saito, towards the end of their careers, just care about getting a job. Because of Milwaukee not even breaking 1% of the Chinese/Japanese residents in the US, there is no reason to send scouts there.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

Milwaukee is really not a bad place to stay for Asians. I had numerous Japaneses and Taiwanese school mates when I was studying in Milwaukee. Milwaukee is also very close to Chicago which has a large Asian population. Baseball is like the number one sport in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea, I think it's a good idea for the Brewers to scout for talent in these countries.

Archived