Brewer Fanatic

Brewers recall Gamel, Villanueva, and Jeffress [Latest: Gamel needs toe surgery]

And That
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wibadgers23[/b]]Macha said that he wouldn't give Gamel a start until McGehee reaches 100 rbi's. He needs 8 more for that to happen. The countdown is on!

Thank god McGehee will be alowed to reach the extreamly important mark of 100 rbi's at the detriment of a young players development.

There's been no indication that Gamel will be traded this off-season. None.

What kind of indication do you need? I'm not saying he's for sure going to be traded, but I wouldn't say there has been zero indication. Any top prospect that might be blocked or is on the path Mat is apparently with the Brewers likely is on the block for the right price. I don't think the Brewers are going to say they're going to trade Mat...until plans are made for him to be in Milwaukee I'd guess he very well is on the block. Just depends on what the price is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Any top prospect that might be blocked or is on the path Mat is apparently with the Brewers likely is on the block for the right price.

JJHardy7, didn't we trade you to the Scccrapiest Twin Fan forum for that GomezSpeedKilz guy last off-season? And I really miss that OOOOOverbay4Prez guy, but PrinceEatMeat was ready to join the forum, so.... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The Brewers have more a history of moving the blockade than moving the prospect. Hardy/Escobar, Overbay/Fielder, etc... And in this case, most likely Fielder being traded provides the open position (be it 3B, LF or 1B). Granted, they have treated Gamel differently than they have with other prospects to come up (Fielder, Escobar, Braun, Weeks, Hardy, etc..). Perhaps you could make a case that they are playing him similar to the way they handled Hart when he broke into the majors...

Prince is the most likely to be traded. Braun and Gallardo the least. In between is just about everyone else... It would just depend on who comes back in a Fielder trade and if the other team wants Gamel for something that brings us back more value (i.e. another SP).

That defensive alignment we saw last night...I think that is what we get next season.
I was thinking the same thing. McGehee has been pretty bad for the most part at 3b this year, and I think with the comments Gamel has been making about how he would prefer not to play 1b, I think management might just see it as an easier solution to keep Gamel at 3b and send McGehee over to 1b for the easy fix. You'd think that if Gamel was tabbed for 1b that they would've given him the game experience there when given the chance.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It wouldn't have mattered anyway, since Macha said he won't sit McGehee until he gets to 100 RBI. This was an "emergency" sort of start, and that's the only reason Gamel saw the field. Macha doesn't like the guy, and will go out of his way to not play him, it seems.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I hope so, Invader. I truly do. (And I wasn't picking on you, just using your quote as the starting point for a mild Macha vent.)

How they resolve the 1b / 3b / rf situation is the big test for the management team this offseason...I just can't shake the sense of foreboding I feel about the coming decision. It seems obvious that one or more bats will be dealt for arms, but the devil is in the details. But perhaps I'm still stung by the team shipping off Cirillo, Valentin, and Vina to solve another pitching problem, and ending up with the likes of Jamey Wright, John Snyder, and Jimmy Wayne Haynes.

The Brewers have more a history of moving the blockade than moving the prospect. Hardy/Escobar, Overbay/Fielder, etc... And in this case, most likely Fielder being traded provides the open position (be it 3B, LF or 1B). Granted, they have treated Gamel differently than they have with other prospects to come up (Fielder, Escobar, Braun, Weeks, Hardy, etc..). Perhaps you could make a case that they are playing him similar to the way they handled Hart when he broke into the majors...

I may need a new name...

Not to side track the thread, but Gamel is different (not him really, but the situation). Until we know the 'plan' I think he's fair game and could easily be moved.

It will be another interesting off-season to see what happens. I just hope we can keep enough bats on the team for when the young pitching arrives. It'll be important to keep the right pieces.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, during last night's game, Bill & Briand said that Macha planned on using different line-ups during the Florida series because there are no playoff consequences. I don't want to go off on the tangent of how meaningless other team's playoff chances are to the future of the Brewers, but if the announcers were right, we should see Gamel a lot this series, as well as some starts for guys like Cruz and of course Mark Rogers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Poor, poor Gamel. I'm sure Melvin and Macha sit in their offices laughing maniacally and plotting ways they can ruin his life....so much more rewarding than having a good team.

Not sure why this is in blue.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Gamel is indeed starting tonight in LF for the Brewers.

I don't want to start another thread on this, but is there any word on Braun's status after getting beaned in the elbow last night?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived