Brewer Fanatic

Brewers recall Gamel, Villanueva, and Jeffress [Latest: Gamel needs toe surgery]

And That

OK, so here's a question for the folks who want to revert Jeffress back to a starting pitcher.

What is the "rule of thumb" about increasing innings workload for a guy who has gone from starter to reliever and back to starter? Or, to put it another way, how many innings could we safely expect Jeremy to pitch next year?

The only problem I have with taking him out of the bullpen is that it could be 3-4 years before he can turn in a full 200 IP season. I see that his career high is around 94 IP....don't we usually like to keep guys to a 25-30 IP jump each year? That would be 125 IP in 2011, 155-160 in 2012, 185-190 in 2013, and then let him loose in 2014?

It seems like a waste of time for a guy who can get major league hitters out now. As a fan, it would be frustrating to see us have to shut him down year after year because he hit the limit.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be 125 IP in 2011, 155-160 in 2012, 185-190 in 2013, and then let him loose in 2014?
Considering that he'll spend most of next year in the minors, he could be up to 190 IP his second full year in the big leagues, as a 24 year old. I don't see that as too much of a hindrance in his development.

That would be 125 IP in 2011, 155-160 in 2012, 185-190 in 2013, and then let him loose in 2014?
Considering that he'll spend most of next year in the minors, he could be up to 190 IP his second full year in the big leagues, as a 24 year old. I don't see that as too much of a hindrance in his development.
If Jeffress has a good showing in the majors, what reasons are there to believe he will get sent down? Not disagreeing, but want to understand what the rationale would be.. service time or development?

The Nats did everything possible to baby Strasburg. He never exceeded 100 pitches, he was on pace for maybe 150 innings total, etc.

It's not necessarily the workload that causes the problems.

That being said, let me offer this novel solution for the Brewers. How about letting Jeffress and Braddock essentially share a rotation spot next year and build both guys back into staring pitchers? Seems to me that has the highest long term reward possibility. Only drawback is it would require a 13 man staff, but that's what they had most of this year.

Granted a bullpen that included Jeffress, Braddock and Axford might be very solid. But eventually, with the Brewer rotation in recent years, the best relievers get worn down to the point they aren't effective. If you're going to keep Parra around, let him relieve. Get a true loogy off the FA pile. Fact is relievers are a lot easier to get than are starters.

While we're moving relievers into starters, I'd do the same thing with Loe. Loe was doing nicely starting at Nashville, 4-3, 3.10 ERA in 10 starts. No reason he couldn't be a decent 4th starter. So if effect my rotation would be: Gallardo, Wolf, Jeffress/Braddock. Loe, Narveson. If they get a good starter for Fielder, all the better.

We know large jumps in innings contributes to injury. It doesn't mean that by limiting inning jumps you can stop injuries it just means you significantly reduce the risk. And Braddock isn't going to be a starter, he can hardly hold up under the work of a reliever.

Yeah, as much as I'd love to see Braddock as a starter, it isn't very likely to happen. That adds to the reason I want to see Jeffress converted back to a starting role. If a pitcher is forced by injury (like Braddock) to a bullpen role, then you grin & bear it, but it doesn't make much sense to voluntarily lower a player's value by putting them in the pen when they don't have to be there.

That would sort of be like bringing up Koshansky and starting him half the time at 1B while letting Prince sit on the bench. You understand it if Prince is hurt, but it makes no sense if he's healthy.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Joe Inglett and Carlos Gomez are getting pinch-hit AB's over Gamel. That tells you all you need to know about how much playing time Gamel is going to get.

Yeah -- very frustrating. I was just coming here to post this quote again, followed by the PAs of Gomez v. those of Gamel:

"We don't like calling up players unless they're going to play"[/i]

I just wish the franchise didn't have a kooky double-standard about Gamel, and that they'd recognize that even if you don't necessarily like someone, it doesn't mean he can't do his job well & help you do your job better. But what do I know. Let's go out and sign some more aging, average free agents. They're grittier.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Joe Inglett and Carlos Gomez are getting pinch-hit AB's over Gamel. That tells you all you need to know about how much playing time Gamel is going to get.

Yeah -- very frustrating. I was just coming here to post this quote again, followed by the PAs of Gomez v. those of Gamel:

"We don't like calling up players unless they're going to play"[/i]

I just wish the franchise didn't have a kooky double-standard about Gamel, and that they'd recognize that even if you don't necessarily like someone, it doesn't mean he can't do his job well & help you do your job better. But what do I know. Let's go out and sign some more aging, average free agents. They're grittier.
http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/banghead.gif

Unbelievable. I know that you should play the left vs right matchup most of the time but Gomez is just so bad that things like that go out the window. I know somebody said that Macha never does things that don't make sense but they were wrong.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Alright. Sept. PA count...

- Inglett: 2

- Gomez: 1

- Gamel: 0

Career-best AAA OPS (full-ish season)...

- Inglett: .841 (age 27; part-time season)

- Gomez: .777 (age 21; 157 PA)

- Gamel: .898 (age 24)

Top prospect called up? Let's play the career backups instead, just to show that top prospect! He's a flake, and doesn't deserve to be treated in any normal kind of way!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As usual, I still don't get not playing Gamel. The basics reasoning aside which has been discussed here...what is his future with the the team?

My own biased opinion thinks he will be a very good player...but for who? You would think the Brewers would try to get him some time either to see what they have for next year on their team or try to raise his trade value. I know it's still early, but I guess I'll be very confused if things don't change the rest of the month. We need to continue to get a better idea of what he can do on the major league level for our own future...and if Mat's future isn't with the Brewers having him go on fire for a month during a meaningless time for the team could enhance what we can get back for Mat. I'm not advocating trading him, but there comes a point and time where we will have to trade him if we're not going to play him at the MLB level.

I had a dream that Gamel started at 1st base last night. Then like two minutes later I was flying on a dolphin's back to Germany for some reason and then I realized it was a dream.

I think the second part of your dream is more realistic.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Alright. Sept. PA count...

- Inglett: 2

- Gomez: 1

- Gamel: 0

Career-best AAA OPS (full-ish season)...

- Inglett: .841 (age 27; part-time season)

- Gomez: .777 (age 21; 157 PA)

- Gamel: .898 (age 24)

Top prospect called up? Let's play the career backups instead, just to show that top prospect! He's a flake, and doesn't deserve to be treated in any normal kind of way!

I'm frustrated by this as well. There was about another week of season at AAA. Why bring him up to sit the bench. Could have waited a week, let him keep raking, and then brought him up to sit the bench.

Well, if Melvin was telling the truth when he said he wasn't going to call someone up simply to sit the bench, maybe this can be the straw that broke the camel's back and we can at least rid ourselves of Macha.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Haudricourt just had a Twitter update, stating that Mat Gamel is out early today taking practice at first base. So it seems like they do have some sort of plan for him after all.

I'm not seeing the plan. He played 1st in the minors for a few games. It's not like he's going to play over Fielder and I'd prefer Gamel in RF and Hart at 1B if Gamel isn't going to play 3B.

I agree, Hart has played 1B before and has already demonstrated that he's below average in RF. Gamel has already said adjusting to 1B has been hard for him, so Hart would probably be better there than him; and Gamel could be better than Hart in RF. It seems like this should be an easy decision.

Archived