Brewer Fanatic

Brewers recall Gamel, Villanueva, and Jeffress [Latest: Gamel needs toe surgery]

And That
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much minors experience did Gamel get in right field? Is it feasible for him to get any starts there for the Brewers this month?

I want to see Gamel play, but I don't see how you sit McGehe. He's batting .286 with an .816 OPS, 20 homers and 86 rbi's. He also has a very hot bat right now, and should be considered for August player of the month. Sure the 100 rbi stat is arbitrary, but I'm guessing it means something to him, and moreover I think he's earned the opportunity to play. I could see sitting him about one game a week. I also wonder if it's possible to shift McGehe to 2nd one day a week, resting Weeks, and letting Gamel get in games that way.

Weeks is hell bent on being in the lineup every day after his past injuries. He could also have a very hot month and set records for a leadoff man. Not to mention Macha loves the guy, so I don't see that happening. IIRC he's only had one off day this year.

Basically what will end up happening is Gamel will ride the bench and only pinch hit, except he may get 2 or 3 starts at 3b to spell McGehee. That's about all I'm expecting from him the rest of the year, unless someone gets hurt. Maybe like 30 or so AB's.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I guess we'll see if Melvin was doing anything more than spouting hot air with regards to these call-ups:

"We don't like calling up players unless they're going to play"

Sadly, I think Villy is going to get by far the most playing time of this trio.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would guess that Villa and Jeffress are going to start taking some innings away from Loe and Coffey, who both need a rest. Excited to see the Brewers counter Chapman with their own flamethrower (although not as fast, obviously). Hoping to see that Villa can still get out ML hitters.

As for Gamel... I just don't see how he can get any consistent playing time. He will probably just get a start every once in a while to spell McGehee, and that's really it. As for Melvin's quote of "We don't like calling up players unless they're going to play", he never did specifically say that he doesn't like calling up players unless they're going to start. He only said play, which Gamel will do, just not very often. (Yes, I know, very nitpicky of me.)

I hope this helps Jeffress see what he'd be giving up if he "slips."

This is an interesting observation. Different people are motivated by different things. While some may question whether he deserves this reward, with some people the best motivator is to give them a taste of the carrot so they can see/feel/taste/experience what the benefits of "behaving" are. Maybe this is what really sets him straight and gives him focus the rest of his career.

It was great watching Jeffress be everything that was advertised last night. He hit 98 with the fastball a couple times, and his curve was solid. He seemed to command both pitches well, impressive for a debut.

Great to see another draft pick succeed. (That was for TooLiveBrew, who accuses me of always being negative http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ) Of the 14-1st round picks made after Jeffress, only Yankee selection Ian Kennedy, a well over slot signing, is in the majors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Jeffress looked great last night. I was impressed with his off-speed stuff.

Article on milwaukeebrewers.com about Gamel. Seems he's having trouble getting used to 1B. Mostly with "picking" throws in the dirt, which is the toughest part of 1B. Says he's more comfortable in the outfield than at first, but will play anywhere the Brewers want him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I was most impressed with Jeffress' command/control last night. He was pumping his fastballs and dropping his curveball in very nicely for strikes last night. No sign of even being effectively wild, he was spot on, even if his appearance was brief.

It's entirely possible that those guys going for 100 RBIs may have bonus clauses that might mean an extra $10-25K for getting 100 RBIs. If that's the case, then I think it is only fair to give them a full opportunity to achieve that.

I'd start him at Huntsville or Nashville as a starter to get him stretched out. It seems like his stuff is good enough to get MLB batters out, so he just needs to get stretched out and ready to take on the innings load of an MLB starter. I'd hate to waste a season or two of him in relief, followed by a season or two of him not able to throw a full season's worth of innings as a starter. If he can show the control he had last night, he's a potential ace.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It was great watching Jeffress be everything that was advertised last night. He hit 98 with the fastball a couple times, and his curve was solid. He seemed to command both pitches well, impressive for a debut.
Jeffress looked great last night. I was impressed with his off-speed stuff.
What are you guys talking about???? He gave up a hit to the first batter he faced! The guy's a bum!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'd start him at Huntsville or Nashville as a starter to get him stretched out. It seems like his stuff is good enough to get MLB batters out, so he just needs to get stretched out and ready to take on the innings load of an MLB starter. I'd hate to waste a season or two of him in relief, followed by a season or two of him not able to throw a full season's worth of innings as a starter. If he can show the control he had last night, he's a potential ace.
I agree. I'd like to see him get stretched out in the early part of next season. 2011 may end up being a "mini rebuild" year of sorts. I'd rather use it to get him ready to be a full time starter than "waste" a year with him in the bullpen, and then not have him ready in 2012.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's entirely possible that those guys going for 100 RBIs may have bonus clauses that might mean an extra $10-25K for getting 100 RBIs.

I am almost certain that the current labor agreement doesn't allow for "performance bonuses"-- There can be bonuses for games played/pitched -- or ABs, but not for things like HRs, RBIs, wins, etc...

Archived